Frontpage

Something busted with it? Give a shout.
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Frontpage

Post by Lackadaisical »

Looking at the frontpage, I was quite suprised that it isn't mentioned at all that the Armagetron Advanced is a game :D. Although News is fun to read for people who are familiar with the game, imho it's much more important to tell people who are new to the game what the game is about, or that Armagetron AD IS a game. Even a small tagline like freeciv has ('Freeciv is a multiplayer strategy game, released under the GNU General Public License.') could help alot.

And sure, there is an about page, but the subject of the website should become clear on the frontpage.

What i would suggest is on top of the News, a small piece of text describing what Armagetronad is all about, maybe screenshot thumbnails or two and a link which lets you download the right version. (like on the firefox site?)

Just my two cents.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

/me supports that. Too often, frontpages have detailed news, but don't tell you what the news is about. Sometimes, navigation is also so horribly solved that you can't find that out or even get to a download page without brain strain.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

But we've got the 'a Tron cline in 3D' tagline!

Then again, maybe something saying it's a game...
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Armagetron is a multiplayer game in 3d that attempts to emulate and expand on the lightcycle sequence from the movie Tron. In short, it's an old school arcade game slung into the 21st century.
How does that sound?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Classy.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

I'm thinking about the single player component. Those who enjoy that are not likely to come here, but they may exist.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

"Armagetron is both a single and multiplay..." perhaps?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

More accurate, but less classy. I'd stick with the first version. A multiplayer game without singleplayer component would be a "pure multiplayer" game, IHMO.
Would it hurt to give a slightly longer summary in a paragraph where you clarify this ("AI opponents are available for those lonely hours without network access")?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

My own experience marketing websites tells me that much more content is preferred. Long paragraphs with good, descriptive headings... But always to the point. So don't worry about getting too long, just don't get boring, and it'll be fine. :)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

z-man has a nice solution, although it's called artificial stupidity. :)
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Lucifer wrote:My own experience marketing websites tells me that much more content is preferred. Long paragraphs with good, descriptive headings... But always to the point. So don't worry about getting too long, just don't get boring, and it'll be fine. :)
Isn't that what the huge about page is for? I'll try and come up with something with a bit more beef though I guess...
Armagetron is a multiplayer game in 3d that attempts to emulate and expand on the lightcycle sequence from the movie Tron. It's an old school arcade game slung into the 21st century. Highlights include a customizable playing arena, HUD, unqiue graphics, and AI bots. For the more advanced player there are new game modes and a wide variety of physics settings to tweak as well.
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Anyone else to chime in or run with that? I'm thinking of adding "Best of all, it's free, open source software under active development." at the end of that paragraph there.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Maybe I'm just easy to impress, but everything you wrote sounds just perfect to me. Do go on, I'm in the "complain if something is not perfect" mode :)
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I've always thought websites were backwards, at least open source websites. I thought the front page should be the really large about page and that it should link to news and downloads, but so many open source projects do it the other way around. Weird. Or am I the weird one? ;)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Lucifer wrote:I've always thought websites were backwards, at least open source websites. I thought the front page should be the really large about page and that it should link to news and downloads, but so many open source projects do it the other way around. Weird. Or am I the weird one? ;)
I'll add a Download Now! then. Save this for the next redesign of the website ;).