Durka points out that this page is outdated:

http://www.armagetronad.net/screenshots.php

Volunteers for screenshots?

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

Well, feel free to take anything from http://wrtlprnft.ath.cx/arma/, though they're mostly screenshots that show a new feature, a bug, or an accidential press of the screenshot button…
There's no place like ::1
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

I think it'd be good to take screenshots from actual gameplay, not just a few screenshots taken in 30 seconds of single player.

If you think one of my screenshots is interesting, should you find one, feel free to use it.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Good idea. I can no longer take screenshots at 1600x1200 (cause the monitor here is 1024x768) so I guess we can put a call out for High-Res screenshots that show regular, fortress, sumo, styX gameplay, as well as varying states of HUD configuration.
Ricochet
Round Winner

Post by Ricochet »

my laptops on 1280x800 i think... that any better ?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

I can do 1600x1200 screenshots. But I'm a minimalist and don't use all the fancy new HUD elements at all, so don't expect me to show them. I'd do HUD-less gameplay shots. For everything else, I'd need a debug recording, preferably with the screenshot key already pressed at the appropriate moments :)
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I guess I'll get 0.2.8 in a dir here somewhere so I can get some shots of that. The trunk has enough of a fps drop now that I turned off the floor and mirror. :(

- Iron Maiden
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

I could take screenshots at 1440x900 but im not sure if we want widescreen shots. I think any screenshots for the main page should have console turned off and name over cycle turned off.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

I vote for allowing screenshots of any aspect ratio. I'm not so sure about the console and names over cycles; they suggest that the game is actually used.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

I vote for a bunch of screen shots.

I think options like the many different consoles, make for good marketing for what arma has to offer. So I think a diverse group of shots from different players would be awesome. Different movie packs, views, colours, arenas, bike styles, etc. Arma has so many different options to choose from. What's the fun in having like 10 shots of the same setup from slightly different angles?
I say, anyone who thinks they have a cool setup, take a few shots and submit them. You can sort through them later.
This post does not come with any form of Warranty or Return Policy.
If you're unhappy with this post, please feel free to suck it up and move on.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I'd say that screenshots that are intended to show the game's beautiful graphics should eliminate lagometers and names, and the cockpit (unless the cockpit is itself the subject of the shot). Screenshots intended to show the game should include everything the shotter uses in regular play.

I would personally prefer all screenshots to have all the bells and whistles turned on, but there are good reasons not to, provided the screenshots themselves are annotated. With annotated screenshots, we can say "This was using software rendering on a 450mhz AMD K6-2" and people will say "oooo, that's very nice for such an old computer".

Anyway, I'll make sure next time I play to grab some screenshots. I agree with the aspect ratio thing, particularly because mine isn't 4:3 either.

- Iron Maiden
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Ok, I replace 1600x1200 with high-res. And yes a variety of different bells and whistles and gameplays is preferred I think. Just upload them here with annotated upload comments so that we know what's what for the website. Also some shots from older computers might not be a bad idea either.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Based on the above, I think it's best to have two categories, to show
  • what the game is capable of. High res with all settings that look good turned up. Less 2D clutter is better.
  • how the game is used in practice. Any 'live' screenshot that might attract an outsider should do.
Mention the hardware where performance is relevant ("he consistently hits/exceeds his refresh rate on this hardware of a few years old - neat!", "looks like I'll get quite good performance on my older machine even with settings that don't look too bad", "I can actually play this with a software renderer?!?").
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Ricochet
Round Winner

Post by Ricochet »

ok heres screenshots made from my point of view;

These are from 0.3, and its with a custom moviepack that loops made me, and with all the bells and whistles turned up. I've tried it with a couple of camera angles; I dont normally like smartcam, but I found it gave the best angles for close-up shots of gameplay (I normally use custom cam).

Please ignore the terrible fps; even with everything turned right down, in a fortress server with 10 players I'm lucky if I get 15. Stupid GPU. Thats why I dont play with my moviepack most of the time :(

Anyway, for the record if you want to compare PC specs to show what each can do, its a P4 2.9 ghz-ish, 512mb RAM, some crappy Intel graphics chip. Soon to have a new Asus motherboard and Geforce 7600 GT :D

anyhoo, here goes:

Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

I think everything used in the shots should be public; otherwise we'd get tons of "how do I make the game look like THAT?" questions we can't answer.