Armaunified theme

Something wrong with it? Got an idea for it? Post here.

Moderator: Lucifer

Lucifer
Project Developer

Armaunified theme

Post by Lucifer »

Ok, here you go, here's what I've got so far. Anybody involved with this effort remember what it's supposed to look like? :) I'm using the wiki/index2.html file as a reference, from the themes project on launchpad.

Anyway, if you look pretty closely, you'll see there's a fair amount of work left. I'm going to go over to the older armagetronad theme and see if I can't update it quicker, since it had theoretically a lot fewer customizations compared to this one.
Attachments
Screenshot_20180524_172331.png

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Lucifer
Project Developer

Re: Armaunified theme

Post by Lucifer »

Thought I'd mention this. If anybody wants to play around and see if there's anything they can do, you can do:

Code: Select all

bzr branch lp:~armagetronad-web/armagetronad/themes
I think sinewav has access to this particular project, he's in the group. You'll have to mosey over to launchpad and check if you're in the group. :)

I've also changed armagetronad to Armagetron027, but don't expect it to work yet. I'm updating it for mediawiki 1.27, then I'll make a belated 0.2.8 version just for fun. :)

- Iron Maiden
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by INW »

Are you going to have to move all current wiki pages to the new platform or are you just creating a new theme for the wiki?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

INW wrote:Are you going to have to move all current wiki pages to the new platform or are you just creating a new theme for the wiki?
Dude, it's MediaWiki, the same software that runs wikipedia. There aren't "pages".

It's basically a new theme, but I'm not creating it. I'm adapting the theme that Lackadaisical put together a few years back.

It's karma, but I won't get into that. ;) It's just a theme.

- Iron Maiden
INW

Post by INW »

I wasn't aware of what MediaWiki is.
MediaWiki wrote:...MediaWiki is an extremely powerful, scalable software and a feature-rich wiki implementation that uses PHP to process and display data stored in a database, such as MySQL.

Pages use MediaWiki's wikitext format, so that users without knowledge of HTML or CSS can edit them easily.

When a user submits an edit to a page, MediaWiki writes it to the database, but without deleting the previous versions of the page, thus allowing easy reverts in case of vandalism or spamming. MediaWiki can manage image and multimedia files, too, which are stored in the filesystem. For large wikis with lots of users, MediaWiki supports caching and can be easily coupled with proxy server software.
So it's data from a database displayed as a webpage based UI. I never knew that lol.

It looks like a nice theme you're making.
assaindan
Average Program

Post by assaindan »

rip origanal arma

PS: don't ban me for saying it but I think the old theme is original, and forums alll work for me, why don't we focus on the game itself? maybe figuring out a redevelopment, or if not that, on how to attract new players and advertisements? getting more toruneys going, so "dead" isn't a thing? because the grids are alive it just seems to me a lot of you elder folks have busy lives where as you cannot play as actively as once you could. Just my thoughts
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

assaindan wrote:rip origanal arma

PS: don't ban me for saying it but I think the old theme is original, and forums alll work for me, why don't we focus on the game itself? maybe figuring out a redevelopment, or if not that, on how to attract new players and advertisements? getting more toruneys going, so "dead" isn't a thing? because the grids are alive it just seems to me a lot of you elder folks have busy lives where as you cannot play as actively as once you could. Just my thoughts
Heh, you might think it through a bit more. :) There's a Ladle being organized right now that's suffering due to a lack of a place to organize it, in part because the wiki isn't working right. So, things might be working for you, but they're not working across the board. Also, attracting new players kinda requires having a decent marketing position on the internet, and updating current web properties is doing exactly that.

So, what's your complaint, exactly? It's like, if I do this, this guy complains. If I do that, that guy complains. Luckily, it's my time, and I just do what I want.

But as to the grid being alive, I played last night and the only person to play with was Swag. I wouldn't call that "alive". I also had fun, so he's at least someone who can be fun, if annoying.

- Iron Maiden
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

assaindan wrote:rip origanal arma

This post makes no sense. Original Armagetron ended when there was a fork which we know today as Armagetron Advanced.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I am much closer to having this tentatively finished for the wiki. Of course, it's not "unified" until it's been implemented for the forums and for the main site.
Screenshot_20180525_145228.png

- Iron Maiden
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Did a lot of the more detailed stuff and added the light cycle graphic from the wiki. :)
Screenshot_20180525_175243.png

- Iron Maiden
Light

Post by Light »

Lucifer wrote:Did a lot of the more detailed stuff and added the light cycle graphic from the wiki. :)
If you're going through the effort to switch up the template, are you gonna go ahead and make it mobile friendly? From what I generally see on my site, I get on average 40 to 45% mobile users. I don't know the percentages for my work's website, but I know we have a decently high percentage of mobile users there as well. It may help bring in more users if they're met with a friendly site regardless of the device they visit with. Also, since the wiki is used for tournament registration and whatnot, I can only imagine it would be helpful for many.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Light wrote: If you're going through the effort to switch up the template, are you gonna go ahead and make it mobile friendly? From what I generally see on my site, I get on average 40 to 45% mobile users. I don't know the percentages for my work's website, but I know we have a decently high percentage of mobile users there as well. It may help bring in more users if they're met with a friendly site regardless of the device they visit with. Also, since the wiki is used for tournament registration and whatnot, I can only imagine it would be helpful for many.
I'm gonna go with "yes", but I can't start testing right now. I don't think. Maybe, heh.

Edit: Just did a quick check, and it's ok, but could be better.

- Iron Maiden
assaindan
Average Program

Post by assaindan »

I wasn't complaining, I simply putting my thoughts down like I clearly stated, but you take every thing as an insult...
You have players who can't even load either client, and all focus is on forums? You have a sound problem on .4, and its been what 8 years? well done
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I setup a test installation at http://armawiki.davefancella.com/ . Go break it and let me know how it's broken so I can fix it.

- Iron Maiden