DNS Change and move to new host

Something wrong with it? Got an idea for it? Post here.

Moderator: Lucifer

Z-Man
God & Project Admin

DNS Change and move to new host

Post by Z-Man »

I finally got a new server and will move the armagetronad.org domain over to a different provider. The switchover should happen any minute now, probably while I sleep. Until I set things up again:
- the main site may be gone (I'll try to prevent that; if it works, it'll redirect to armawww.simamo.de)
- the wiki will be unreachable under its regular address. Use the alias http://wiki-arma.simamo.de/ instead.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: DNS Change

Post by Z-Man »

Z-Man wrote:The switchover should happen any minute now
Garumble, garumble. Happened an hour ago, over a week after the transfer was initiated. The configuration has now been restored on the new provider. Still, as usual, during the next 24 hours or so things may not work for you as they should. If any problems you experience persist or you have reason to believe I screwed up (like, a CNAME lookup loop), do tell.
If I find time, I may exploit this window of things-not-properly-working and move the wiki. You'll know if that happens because the wiki would then refuse to accept any edits.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Gearing up to move the actual wiki and upgrade to MediaWiki 1.23. Here is the test result:
http://testwiki.simamo.de/
The armagetronad skin broke a little, it seems, tables of contents are background-less. And I forgot the favicon. Does anyone see any dealbreakers?
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

Apart from the favicon and the cycle picture in the top left corner missing, and the content tables, I see nothing broken. I visited some random pages and they looked fine and had no other differences to the regular wiki for me.
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

what about trying to add the armaunified theme to it?
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

We should probably switch back to the default skin, vector, provided with mediawiki until we upgrade our custom one—or migrate to customizing vector instead of creating an entirely new skin.

You need to set up the RecentChangesOption extension. Add this after the require_once():

Code: Select all

// Hide the User creation log by default
RecentChangesOption::create()->filterLogType("newusers");
Here's a previous request I made:
dlh wrote:Could you make two changes to the wiki?
  1. Enable the ParserFunctions extension (it's included with MediaWiki):

require_once("$IP/extensions/ParserFunctions/ParserFunctions.php");
  2. Install the TimeConvert extension I made.
Or, if possible, you could give me write access to LocalSettings.php and the extensions directory.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

dlh: all additions done now.

Except for the default style; what do the rest of you think? I'm not a suitable judge, I switched back to one of the builtin styles for performance reasons. Also here on the forums.

The appearance errors are fixed, too; the image files were simply missing (they were in the common skin directory) and the TOC changed from being a table to a simple div; I had to just copy two relevant properties over.
Another change I noticed: the [edit] markers moved from the left side to the right of a header. If anyone is disturbed by that, I'll check it, too.

Anyway, still time enough before the Ladle starts; I'm doing the migration for reals now. The regular wiki will enter read only mode about now.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Wiki transfer complete. I changed the browser title bars for the old and test wiki so you know which one you're on, and neither the test nor old wiki accept any more edits.

For me, oddly, the required DNS change was instantaneous even though the old wiki should have been in all caches... for those who are less lucky, the alternative address given at the top of this thread ( http://wiki-arma.simamo.de ) should work. Or http://testwiki.armagetronad.org . I should probably clean up at some point.
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Re: DNS Change and move to new host

Post by dlh »

I was able to make two edits, but now I when I try to submit or preview I get this error message:

Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Confirmed. There is no unusually high load and the error logs also don't show much. If I can't resolve the issue in the next couple of hours, I'll revert to the old host and retry later.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

It was the overzealous spam protection service the host activates by default. The requests were blocked before they even got to anything that could produce the usual logs. I disabled it.

I'm seeing this error in the logs a lot, every time someone uploads an image:

PHP Notice:  Header 'Content-Disposition: inline;filename*=UTF-8''Test.PNG' is too long. 
in xxx/wiki/includes/filebackend/FileBackendStore.php on line 1235
It seems harmless, the upload still succeeds, but I'd like to know what's up with it. Before I dig in, is anyone familiar with it? Maybe just a simple max_header_size setting I have to increase?
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

Seems to me like the header has a syntax error in it (though I'm not sure what in the code would cause that - perhaps invalid directory references).

header('Content-Disposition: inline; filename="Test.PNG"');
^ this is what a header should look like.
The error says "Content-Disposition: inline;filename*=UTF-8''Test.PNG" is too long - but to me it just looks like syntax issues.

Seeing as how there is no real limit to headers being sent (apache's default limit is 8KB - much more than this one header), I doubt it is a limitation setting.

If I knew more about wiki (which I'd rather not know about that god awful system), I'd be able to help more.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

That would be because the output is not the full header, just a '$name: $value' pair. The test triggering the error tests $name's length against 255 and $value's length against INF (in this case, sometimes also 255)... both are obviously shorter. The only explanation I have is that INF does not behave as expected because the host's floating point unit is weird, or another stupid security feature. I replaced it with 2^30, that seems to have fixed it and is just as valid in practice.

Another thing I noticed, maybe that was there before: Edits to templates only appear delayed in pages that use them. Is this new? A faulty cache, maybe, where you need to edit the referring page to force a cache flush?
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

Not too sure about the wiki, but "yes" for sure in phpBB (chances are something similar is going on).
The system caches files for faster loading, so when you edit a template you need to purge the cache to make sure the new version gets loaded.
After every template change; purge cache. (for phpBB, that includes the "theme"[css] - but in the ACP there's a convenient link to do it all easily)
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

yes, it must be cachingThat makes more sense than removing a break tag on the ladle page to get the template updated