Registration questions for the wiki

Something wrong with it? Got an idea for it? Post here.

Moderator: Lucifer

Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Registration questions for the wiki

Post by Word »

Please do not post the answers here or anywhere else in public, so these new spambots can't find them. But you're welcome to post more questions.

Here are some attempts by me, I don't know if they are enough to fool the bots. I just posted anything I could think of, some are good, others probably aren't. They can all be looked up but you need to put a few pieces together.

1) The following sentence contains an archaic word. Write the sentence anew, but use its newer form. (there are lots of sentences possible with this)
2) Who was the brother of Antigone's father's wife?
3) Name an actor who played a major role in the film that inspired this game as well as several Star Trek films.
4) What is the first word in the description of tutorial (n) ?
5) The third name of a man who encouraged three women to become famous primatologists.
6) Spell the red fruit like Dan Quayle would.
7) The name of the third world described in the third part of Gulliver's travels.
8) Painted by Holbein, became a Shakespeare character. Whose marriage resulted in his execution?
9) Regardless what you've been told, the vehicles in this game aren't cars. They have a different name.
10) The big, red (green) circle that appears in tutorial (n).
11) Using two keys to turn is called "singlebinding". And four keys?
delinquent
Match Winner

Re: Registration questions for the wiki

Post by delinquent »

Good construction, but imho some of your adjectives could be simplified. For example: I would substitute "archaic" with "antiquated".

I would also restructure the third question like so:
An actor who played a key role in the cinematic inspiration for this game, also starred in several films and/or episodes of Star Trek. Name him?

I think the sentence becomes more understandable to the human interpretation of it, whilst becoming more complicated for a bot to decipher. The addition of the and/or function also adds a variable to the equation, as there are over 1000 different episodes of Star Trek, inclusive of the first TV series, TNG, DS9, Voyager and others, some of which even include fanfiction spinoffs. As opposed to the handful of feature films, I think this increases the security of the question.
nux
Round Winner

Post by nux »

Poor Word, he thinks a bunch of questions is going to stop the spam bots.
There's a difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit. Grammar does matter.
Word

Post by Word »

I've talked to dlh about this; if you have a better idea, share it please.
K-Yo
Round Winner

Post by K-Yo »

nux: why won't it stop the spambots?

questions:
- wh.at is the co lor of the icon of this wiki?
- h.ow ma.ny colors do the background of this wiki have?

also add a one day delay if you miss registration, that should stop most of the bots
K-Yo
nux
Round Winner

Post by nux »

Word wrote:I've talked to dlh about this; if you have a better idea, share it please.
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/150170
K-Yo wrote:nux: why won't it stop the spambots?
I just told you on irc, but basically, static answers are provided to the bots for static questions. Adding question not only prevents regular users from registering, it only works for so little against the bots.
There's a difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit. Grammar does matter.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

nux wrote:
Word wrote:I've talked to dlh about this; if you have a better idea, share it please.
Nice. That's what I was thinking, as most bots just register and don't do anything. Any quick pointers to how I install this thing?
nux
Round Winner

Post by nux »

Z-Man wrote:
nux wrote:
Nice. That's what I was thinking, as most bots just register and don't do anything. Any quick pointers to how I install this thing?
I hosted it on userscripts because they had an awesome way to show you to install this if you didnt have the tools. If you want a more detailed explanation you can check out http://userscripts.org/about/installing, but basically:

Firefox: install the Greasemonkey addon and load the script.
Chrome/ium: just load the script.
Opera: the browser loads all .user.js in an specified directory (i believe you have to configure this), so simply place that file there. I cant support Opera though, and i doubt any of you use it.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Ah, d'oh, hadn't realised it is a client/browserside thing.
nux
Round Winner

Post by nux »

Z-Man wrote:Ah, d'oh, hadn't realised it is a client/browserside thing.
Oh, if you want the change server side, i can make it happen as well, all i need is access*. I havent messed up with wiki code in a while, but it should be pretty straight forward given its only front-end.

* read access, i can then make a patch file you can use on the server.
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

You can also go to My preferences→Recent changes, and turn on “Use enhanced recent changes”.

If we update to mediawiki 1.9, we could use the autopatrol right (it's enabled for sysops by default but we would change that), and then the “Hide patrolled edits in recent changes” would work all the time. Users can't mark their own edits as patrolled in 1.9.

Word: I like the tron/armagetron-related questions you made, but I'm skeptical that this would slow down new user creation by spammers.
Word

Post by Word »

Thanks - and well, what I tried to do is to ensure that people at least have to download the game in order to register. People whose job is spam probably don't waste the time for that if they can spam some other website much faster. Is there an easy way to let the wiki check during the registration if Armagetron is installed? Of course the flipside of that would be that you can't register from some public computer when you aren't a spammer.
nux
Round Winner

Post by nux »

Word wrote:Is there an easy way to let the wiki check during the registration if Armagetron is installed?
Yes, its called malware. Another possibility is to only be able to register on the wiki through the client, but that would mean hacking the wiki and nobody wants to do that, not to mention it wouldnt be a good idea at all.
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

nux wrote: Opera: the browser loads all .user.js in an specified directory (i believe you have to configure this), so simply place that file there. I cant support Opera though, and i doubt any of you use it.
I use to use Opera :o /me is a noob.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

bye
nux
Round Winner

Post by nux »

Magi wrote:
nux wrote: Opera: the browser loads all .user.js in an specified directory (i believe you have to configure this), so simply place that file there. I cant support Opera though, and i doubt any of you use it.
I use to use Opera :o /me is a noob.
Opera is actually the best browser there is, its always been way ahead of its counterparts. The amount of features is quite overwhelming for most of the people, so they choose a more mindless browser, such as Chrome. I personally use Firefox because the external tools make my job much easier and i dont like the way Chromium arranges the configs. If i was still using faildows, i would have an internal battle between Firefox and Opera, the only reason would be that Opera is not F/OSS, which is really a turn down for me, being a F/OSS junky.