Vote - when is a clan a clan?

Something wrong with it? Got an idea for it? Post here.

Moderator: Lucifer

Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Re: Vote - when is a clan a clan?

Post by Phytotron »

Great, you can also get rid of all these evolutionary failures so you don't need to worry about [the IUCN Red List] anymore.
That didn't make one lick of sense, and is in some respect offensive in its belittlement of the purpose of the IUCN Red List.

Videogame clans are moronic, worthless—and more importantly—artificial, (quasi/anti-)social constructs. They are not living organisms, are not valuable, are not crucial to the health of the biosphere and its ecosystems, do nothing for the enrichment of the human experience, and they sure as hell aren't a threatened or endangered species—and if they were to go extinct, would not be a loss.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

There are currently about 50 clans on the list, imagine that some of their members join them based on their free will (and the human experience to win something as a team).
I didn't want to misrelate threatened animals and clans but to illustrate that it's primarily a neutral list concerning an aspect of AA's community. And for me, that's all it needs to have its right to exist. Whether it's good or bad is another story.
Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Desolate »

I hope you don't mean videogames clans as a whole, of all types and consoles. There would be no actual tournaments or competitive play (other than somewhat competitive random matches ingame) without these clans to keep everything organized. Of course there are teams, but one could consider a team that sticks together for an extended period of time, organizing themselves, as a clan.

Outside Tron is much better examples. Console gaming thrives on clans, which stick together and practice a lot so they can actually scale the ranks of competitive gaming in those games (cod, halo examples). Without these clans who dedicate a lot of their time to improving their teamplay and communication, competitive gameplay would be that much worse and less fun to watch.

Clans are clearly not moronic or useless in any of the games they exist in. And I could go on naming examples of a load of different games I've played that utilize clans, but it would be wasting my time.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Desolate wrote:There would be no actual tournaments or competitive play (other than somewhat competitive random matches ingame) without these clans to keep everything organized.
Maybe in other games, but that's certainly not the case in Armagetron. Just thought I point out the obvious. :wink:
Lanfear
Average Program

Post by Lanfear »

sinewav wrote:
Desolate wrote:There would be no actual tournaments or competitive play (other than somewhat competitive random matches ingame) without these clans to keep everything organized.
Maybe in other games, but that's certainly not the case in Armagetron. Just thought I point out the obvious. :wink:
what he said
Z-Man wrote:It's a clan if it payed me the 100$ clan registration fee. /thread
That's actually true?

•it just needs a founder/leader/admin, not members (1337) - No
•2 members (e.g. Naked Hippies) - Yes
•4 members (classic ctf squad) - Yes, if it doesn't rule out the 2 members.
•6-8 members (fort team) - Yes, ^^^
•It has (had) more than 8 members - Yes
•it takes part in tournaments/wars with more than 2 players per team - No
•it doesn't have to take part in anything to be a clan - Yes
•it hosts servers (NoNerdsJustGeeks) - NO, definitely not.
•it hosts tournaments - NO.
•their forums have a short url - LOL
•its players play usually in those servers that are used for wars (sumo/fort/ctf/hr/df etc) - idc
•its tags are original - it's not some short-lasting revival (NW, pNd) - YES, this one I feel strongly about.
•a clan with more than 50 active players isn't really a clan anymore but an own community, isn't it? - Yes and no, it's both.

:D
Tobe
Round Winner

Post by Tobe »

In my opinion, if anyone is willing enough to take thier time to add their "clan" to the page in the correct fornat I have given it, then it should be allowed to stay there.

My only problem with the page is when people add tons of gametypes they 'play' for no real reason other than to say "Yeah, we do that too." I don't know why I added that column in the first place, but oh well. Its just a minor annoyance.
<-- Proud co-leader of Rogue Tronners
Lord Pein
Round Winner

Post by Lord Pein »

Phytotron wrote:Videogame clans are moronic, worthless—and more importantly—artificial, (quasi/anti-)social constructs. They are not living organisms, are not valuable, are not crucial to the health of the biosphere and its ecosystems, do nothing for the enrichment of the human experience, and they sure as hell aren't a threatened or endangered species—and if they were to go extinct, would not be a loss.

Clearly you have never been in a good clan/guild before. Go play World of Warcraft for a year or two and have some fun.
http://i52.tinypic.com/11ipyet.png
Thursday July 22nd 2010: Airman's team beat Lizmatic's team in fortress.
DDMJ wrote:Good idea...but what if the arma player is Luke-jr :?
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Clearly, you've never had any good, real-life friends beyond the pseudo-friends in your videogame clans. (Similarly sensible statement.)

Tell you what, go rip your fingernails out with pliers while someone else repeatedly scrapes theirs across a chalk board. Have some fun!
Lord Pein
Round Winner

Post by Lord Pein »

Phytotron wrote:Clearly, you've never had any good, real-life friends beyond the pseudo-friends in your videogame clans. (Similarly sensible statement.)
I do, I have great real-life friends. Why does one have to have only real-life friends or none at all?
Tell you what, go rip your fingernails out with pliers while someone else repeatedly scrapes theirs across a chalk board. Have some fun!
Why would I do that? Relevance?

Trollbait?
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

You are dense. I'm not explaining it to you.
Lord Pein
Round Winner

Post by Lord Pein »

So you don't know what it means either...
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

school flashback
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Phytotron wrote:Tell you what, go rip your fingernails out with pliers while someone else repeatedly scrapes theirs across a chalk board. Have some fun!
AAAAnd that's also what I need a vacation from. One week for you.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Damnit. Another one meant to be a PM. >_< :x
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Mkay1 »

I don't get it.