Bracketology (Wiki)

Something wrong with it? Got an idea for it? Post here.

Moderator: Lucifer

INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Bracketology (Wiki)

Post by INW »

As I am trying to make a different bracket for the wiki, I have come across the complex language used to make them. I will probably ask quite some questions here mainly concerning brackets.
One question I have is which line in:

Code: Select all

{| border=0 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 style="font-size: 90%; margin:1em 2em 1em 1em;"
|  
| align="center" colspan="3" style="border:1px solid #aaa;" bgcolor=#f2f2f2|{{{RD1|First round}}}
| colspan="2" |
| align="center" colspan="3" style="border:1px solid #aaa;" bgcolor=#f2f2f2|{{{RD2|Second round}}}
| colspan="2" |
| align="center" colspan="3" style="border:1px solid #aaa;" bgcolor=#f2f2f2|{{{RD3|Semifinals}}}
| colspan="2" |
| align="center" colspan="3" style="border:1px solid #aaa;" bgcolor=#f2f2f2|{{{RD4|Finals}}}
gives the 'headings' "First round" "Second round"...etc. their cell length and space?

I have done this:

| border=0 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 style="font-size: 90%; margin:1em 2em 1em 1em;"
|  
| align="center" colspan="3" style="border:1px solid #aaa;" bgcolor=#f2f2f2|{{{RD1|First round}}}
| colspan="2" |
| align="center" colspan="3" style="border:1px solid #aaa;" bgcolor=#f2f2f2|{{{RD2|Second round}}}
| colspan="2" |
| align="center" colspan="3" style="border:1px solid #aaa;" bgcolor=#f2f2f2|{{{RD3|Semifinals}}}
| colspan="2" |
| align="center" colspan="3" style="border:1px solid #aaa;" bgcolor=#f2f2f2|{{{RD4|Finals}}}
| colspan="2" |
| colspan="2" |
| colspan="2" |
| colspan="2" |
but the second set of 'headings' are not spaced apart nor do they have any specified cell length. Where and what should I add to give the second set of 'headings' their cell length and space value?

BTW, I have noticed the html tag   puts a small space between the 'headings' when added like so:

| border=0 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 style="font-size: 90%; margin:1em 2em 1em 1em;"
|  
| colspan="2" |
| colspan="2" |
| colspan="2" |
| colspan="2" |
|  
| colspan="2" |
|  
| colspan="2" |
|  
| colspan="2" |
|  
but the 'headings' cell size/length value to me is still unknown...I am not sure what tag is being used to specify the length in the first 4 'headings'.

EDIT: I have added multiple &emsp to make the cell spacing the same as the first 4 'headings' but the cell size is still messed up. This is what I have and the cell spacing is perfect; the cell size is just way small for the last 3 'headings'.

| align="center" colspan="3" style="border:1px solid #bbb;" bgcolor=#f2f2f2|{{{RD1|First round}}}
| colspan="2" |
| colspan="2" |
| colspan="2" |
| colspan="2" |
|  
| colspan="2" |
|    
| colspan="2" |
|    
| colspan="2" |
|  
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Bracketology (Wiki)

Post by Lackadaisical »

You also have to edit the width declarations a bit more below which look somewhat like:

| width=5| 
| width=5| 
| width={{{server-width|80}}}| 
| width={{{team-width|130}}}| 
| width=25| 
These define the widths of the columns.
INW

Post by INW »

I have just tried doubling that declaration which seems to give spacing between the headings...makes sense...but the spacing is uneven. This:

|  
| colspan="2" |
| colspan="2" |
| colspan="2" |
| colspan="2" |
| colspan="2" |
| colspan="2" |

|-
| width=1| 
| width=25| 
| width=5| 
| width=5| 
| width=25| 
| width=5| 
| width=5| 
| width=25| 
| width=5| 
| width=5| 
| width=25| 
| width=25| 
| width=5| 
| width=5| 
| width=25| 
| width=5| 
| width=5| 
| width=25| 
| width=5| 
| width=5| 
is what I have done and to me seems like all the headings should be spaced properly. I took off the last

| width=25| 
| width=5| 
| width=5| 
because that gives the column to the right of the last heading where it isn't needed but it seems I can't find the correct spot to space the Finals and second Semifinals headings...all the other headings are spaced perfectly except the Finals and second Semifinals.
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

You should keep in mind these two 'width' cells

| width=5| 
| width=5| 
which correspond to the empty header cells:

| colspan="2" |
will show the black lines coming from round to round. So you would need them between the finals and semifinals, but not on the right of the righthand first round.

|  
    | colspan="2" |
    | colspan="2" |
    | colspan="2" |
    | colspan="2" |
    | colspan="2" |
    | colspan="2" |

|-
    | width=1| 
    | width=25| 
    | width=5| 
    | width=5| 
    | width=25| 
    | width=5| 
    | width=5| 
    | width=25| 
    | width=5| 
    | width=5| 
    | width=25| 
    | width=5| 
    | width=5| 
    | width=25| 
    | width=5| 
    | width=5| 
    | width=25| 
    | width=5| 
    | width=5| 
    | width=25| 
I'm not sure though.. if you save your experiments somewhere on the wiki i could look at it a bit better.
INW

Post by INW »

http://wiki.armagetronad.net/index.php? ... et_testing

There is the page I am working on just to test the looks of the bracket. I have not added the 'cells' for the servers and scores and teams on the right side but the main focus right now is the 'headings'.
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

Ok I changed it and it works. But how are you going to have a 4 team final? ;)
INW

Post by INW »

Just wait...I got this :D
I think what would help me accomplish what I want is a mirror of a 16 team bracket minus the extra finals. Basically delete the finals round, take a mirror to the bracket and flip in over to the other side...wish there was an easy way to do this.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I just wanted to add I'm impressed with your work. Hope it get's used.
INW

Post by INW »

I am trying to make the brackets look like this:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... CCQQ9QEwAw
but with 32 teams not 64.
Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Desolate »

I guess I can just post this here rather than making a new topic. Does someone have the time to adapt the following bracket: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:1 ... oubleElim3 to one that can be used for armagetron at the following template: http://wiki.armagetronad.net/index.php? ... limBracket . Or if someone could just point out what I need to do to adapt it to an armagetron bracket and I will do it myself. Thanks in advance.
INW

Post by INW »

That's a tough one...idk there..maybe lacka knows :D

Going back to the 'mirror bracket', I thought there would be characters directed to place a cell in a spot...but it seems the cells automatically place themselves when connected by the black extenders? Is this correct?
Last edited by INW on Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Desolate »

Yeah, wasn't really directed at you.
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

INW wrote:Going back to the 'mirror bracket', I thought there would be characters directed to place a cell in a spot...but it seems the cells automatically place themselves when connected by the black extenders? Is this correct?
No it's a bit more convoluted, because it's a table. It's probably helpful if you set "border=1px" at the very top of the table so you can see all the invisible 'helper cells' there are. The cells on the side and at the top (below the headers) pretty much define the grid of your table. The table is then filled from the top left going to the right by defining cells which look something like

| attributes="this" | cellcontents (can be nothing)
Because you usually want cells which are bigger than the 'helper cells' on the side and/or the top you can use attributes like "rowspan=2" and "colspan=3" (this would make the cell as high as two regular cells and have the width of 3 adjacent top cells)

when you're done putting cells in a row you can go to the next row with

|-
If a cell in a row is already taken because you defined a bigger cell in the row above it, you just skip the cells which are already taken (for example the "Server-1" cell in the first row takes up three rows, so the second row starts next to it)

So what you want to do is to look per row what you need to put. You'll probably need to use empty cells to get the cells at the right part of the table. I did the first row as an example (and to make sure I wasn't talking total bullshit :P)

Oh and the black extenders are actually just cells as well (actually, they are made from the borders of five cells)

Good luck btw, it's probably going to be quite some work.
INW

Post by INW »

I appreciate the help Lacka...you share quite some knowlege on this bracket stuff.
INW

Post by INW »

Update:
I had to add a new code

| width={{{score-width|80}}}| 
to make this:

| width={{{server-width|20}}}| 
| width=25| 
| width=1| 
as the First round of the right side of the bracket. The server is actually placed in the

the team is in its same place and the score is placed in

width={{{server-width|20}}}| 
I had to change the widths as you can see to match the other side of the bracket sense the words 'score' actually go to 'server' and the other way around. Also, I had to flip flop the actually named group of cells from

| align=center bgcolor="#f2f2f2" style="border:1px solid #aaa;" rowspan="3" | {{{RD1-server09|Server 9}}}
| style="border:1px solid #aaa;" bgcolor="#f9f9f9"|  {{{RD1-team17| }}}
| align=center style="border:1px solid #aaa;" bgcolor=#f9f9f9| {{{RD1-score17| }}}
| align=center style="border-width:0 0 2px 0; border-style:solid;border-color:black;"| 
to

| colspan="25"|
| style="border:1px solid #aaa;" bgcolor="#f9f9f9"|  {{{RD1-team17| }}}
| align=center style="border:1px solid #aaa;" bgcolor=#f9f9f9| {{{RD1-score17| }}}
| align=center bgcolor="#f2f2f2" style="border:1px solid #aaa;" rowspan="3" | {{{RD1-server09|Server 9}}}
Pretty confusing but I am getting there.
I also finished Match09 on the bracket but there is a small space between the two 'team cells'. Is the space there because I didn't add a black extender in between the two teams? If so, I might need some guidance on where to put it.