DF on wiki

Something wrong with it? Got an idea for it? Post here.

Moderator: Lucifer

Sinn
Average Program

DF on wiki

Post by Sinn »

I'm pretty sure it was Wiki I was reading, where it said it was unlcear what the rules for DF are. Incase no one remembers there was/is a list of rules that were made a long time ago. Many people including me came up with these "official rules" and everyone at the time agreed with them. So imho these rules should be posted as the official rules.

Game styles change and in that time there has been some confusion on the rules because of people playing it in HR and so and and so forth.

I personally think if the rules are changed then it is not officially DF, and maybe should be called CT, for cat fight, or whatever crazy thing your mind can think of.

Thanks,
-=}ID< Sin
The truth is out there.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

If you want it changed it's probably best to do it yourself; it is a wiki, after all.
I don't think there's a lot of people on these forums who really care that much about dogfight, so anything you would write about df would probably be better than any of us can do.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

In the original wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armagetron_Advanced

in the arma wiki it isn't there yet ( i searched also the author area, where you have access to "special pages" like "show all articles". Dog Fight doesn't appear anywhere else except in clan divisions):

http://wiki.armagetronad.net/index.php? ... Variations
Last edited by Word on Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Wikipedia wrote:In most DF servers, theres are rules to trapping your opponent that is widely accepted throughout the armagetron advanced community, but is not completely defined. Yet you may not trap you opponent using a seal or stab.
Am I the only one who can't make sense of these sentences? Is it about 'open' play? Last time I checked, that was far from accepted throughout the community, which is why there are special servers for those who want to play by it.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

I saw the authors of the article in the original wiki are Madmax, Lucifer, Luke-Jr, Abhoerstemeier, NeF, Cmichael, Mika1h, NihonJoe, Pxtl, Jayvdb, 74.184.100.154, The Kinslayer, QuagmireDog, PresN, John Vandenberg (whoever that is) and a guy named Tommie-lie
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Is it just me, or has this forum seen an excessive amount of wacky ideas/posts recently? I can't remember it being this weird before (since I joined the forums that is).
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

It always does that when a couple of new users arrive at roughly the same time :) Sort of feels like pong, bouncing them all back.
Sinn
Average Program

Post by Sinn »

I'm sorry you think this is a "wacky" ideas or a post. Last I knew you weren't shit in the tron community sine, so if you don't like what I post then don't read it. I care not to visit this place anyway. It seems here all anyone wants to do is put eachother down and tell everyone how dumb they look.

If no one gives a crap about this topic, or has nothing worth saying in it then close it. Makes perfect sense to me, if people like Sine.wav is gonna come in here and spam it with useless and worthless chit chat that has nothing to do with the subject.

Just forget this topic we have better and more mature replys on our noob forums.

Thanks

Edit. Just to add this was not directed to the admin/devs of this forum. I accpected more from these forums tho. I thought this was a differant place to go where you could bring up topics important to you and would be met with careing and maybe even sometimes serious reply's or discussion. Obviously it's just another forum where people spam smart ass comments, and I imagine a crapload of butt kissing. I doubt I will be doing much more posting here "which i'm sure everyone will be oh so saddened by" But I appreciate the help and the subperb conversation and debate on the DF subject.
The truth is out there.

DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

My understanding was that you wanted what it said on the wiki about DF to be changed and everyone just replied telling you that it was a wiki, so therefore you could go and change it yourself.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Sinn wrote: Edit. Just to add this was not directed to the admin/devs of this forum. I accpected more from these forums tho. I thought this was a differant place to go where you could bring up topics important to you and would be met with careing and maybe even sometimes serious reply's or discussion. Obviously it's just another forum where people spam smart ass comments, and I imagine a crapload of butt kissing. I doubt I will be doing much more posting here "which i'm sure everyone will be oh so saddened by" But I appreciate the help and the subperb conversation and debate on the DF subject.
Two things. :)

First, I don't know any place in the world where you can walk into a room full of people, start talking, and not expect side conversations to start up. Forums are like that all over the internet. I think we actually do a better job of staying on-topic in a given discussion than a lot of places, but hey, nobody's perfect.

Second, like Durka pointed out, wikis are editable by anybody, that's their purpose in life. Time people spend here telling us what they want to see on the wiki is wasted time. Your time (and ours) is better spent if you just go change the wiki to read what you want it to read. We really prefer to only discuss content disagreements here, if we have to talk about what's on the wiki, or structure of the wiki. What we usually talk about when the wiki comes up is how people are so quick to complain about it, but won't do anything about it. Complaining without acting is whining. You got the reaction people who whine generally deserve. :)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Sinn wrote:I'm sorry you think this is a "wacky" ideas or a post. Last I knew you weren't shit in the tron community sine...
You're right, I'm not shit.

I try my best to be helpful and share anything I can with the community. But I also predicted this thread would quickly deteriorate, so I kind of trolled it. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

You're right, this particular thread does not qualify as a 'wacky' idea (in fact, I'm still not sure what the purpose of your initial post was), that was more directed at the max_ping and clan tag protection stuff, but this place was as good as any for some side remarks.

Also, the best, and in fact, only, way to keep a thread on topic is to keep posting on topic. All you get from complaining about people posting off topic is even more off topic talk :) Case in point: off topic posts before you complained: 2. After: 4 and counting. That's including mine and yours. There were plenty of on topic posts before you complained, you should just have responded to them.
Sinn
Average Program

Post by Sinn »

Well I wanted to discuss the DF on Wiki because I know in the tron community there is a huge debate over it. If I just went and changed it, what is it to stop someone else the next hour or day to come by and change it to what they think?

So I guess what I should have posted was that I wanted everyones opinions on what they think the DF rules were. If on a forum as big and widely tron respected I figured we could get a group to generally agreement.

There are so many newer people to the game and so many older people who don't play anymore. As most people know in tron i'm "ONE" of the oldest players left. Going on more years then I usually care to admit lol. Many people now a days do not realise that a few years ago the older "elites" sat down and came up with official rules to the game style known as DF. Years later "noobs" came around and started playing something else I like to call "Cat Fight" but they kept calling it DF. DF being something i've always been extremely passionate about along with Shaggy. I of course like to keep it the way it was intended to play.

There has been many a HUGE argument about this subject. As anyone that knows me in tron will say, I LOVE to argue. This being one of those I will fight tooth and nail about, and believe me, if Shaggy was here he would be worse then me.

To put it simply:

-You play open (meaning you DO NOT seal)
-You single bind or double bind (meaning NO triples, quads, etc..)
-You have LOW rubber
-You have LOW speed
-You stay OFF the rim (ppl digging in the rim kills dogfighting)
-There are NO or very LITTLE brakes

These are just examples of the main rules. I cannot find the whole official rule list. But I will say that the obvious No grinding, No backdoors, No plugs is part.

Here is and old topic I found on the old XzL forums. Maybe some of you would like to read it to learn some of the history of DF. It's very interesting, and it has a lot of older members takeing part in the convo that you never see anymore. Take a peek for old times sake :D

http://www.xzlclan.com/the/website/viewtopic.php?t=812

Thanks,
-=}ID< Sin
The truth is out there.

Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Sinn wrote:Well I wanted to discuss the DF on Wiki because I know in the tron community there is a huge debate over it. If I just went and changed it, what is it to stop someone else the next hour or day to come by and change it to what they think?
Nothing :) That's the nature of Wikis. The commonly accepted way to deal with a controversy on a wiki page is to state that there is a controversy and describe both sides in a neutral fashion. You could describe your definition of DF as 'classic' DF and the "noob" interpretation as 'new' DF. If then someone changes the page by deleting one half of the definition or renaming it to 'DF for fags', then that's clearly vandalism and will be reverted.

Personally, I don't play on servers that impose rules that are not expressible by server settings because they're open to interpretation (how deep am I allowed to grind before it is considered a seal?), so I don't care enough about that particular controversy to reflect it. What exactly are the 'new' DF rules? To me, DF in the world of Armagetron simply sounds like 'focus on close cycle-to-cycle combat'. Cat Fight sounds like pretty much the same, just with less barking and growling and more screeching.