bugfarm?

For things that have to do with those crazy test servers... and yeah. By request of z-man, and, of course, you gotta obey...

Moderator: Z-Man

oO.k3nNy
Average Program

bugfarm?

Post by oO.k3nNy »

when will the old bugfarm servers be back up again? or at least some sort of? or will they be down forever? :(
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

The servers as they were are down forever. I won't run a permanent server on that machine ever again, only the tournament server will be up occasionally, whenever I get word of a tournament, like the Ladle next week.

There will be poor replacements running on my home server; I didn't start them yet becasue first, the server was getting a CPU intensive Gentoo update and then had connection trouble.

And someone offered me a portion of space on a real server with good connection somewhere. I'd like to improve the new lag compensation code a bit more before I get to that, my home server is an excellent environment :)
Infamous
Average Program

Post by Infamous »

can i ask why you removed one of the most (if not the most) popular fortress servers?
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

There's no place like ::1
Infamous
Average Program

Post by Infamous »

it's just a bit annoying, there are 3 servers with "bugfarm" in the title (to entice players) but they are all empty, almost all the time. So we can't just pop in for a quick game of fortress like we used to :(
wrtlprnft

Post by wrtlprnft »

Because those are just stupid fakes. The guys who host them probably don't even know what bugfarm means and they surely don't listen to BUG cries or have the knowledge to analyze them.
They're just using BF in their name to attract players, and I hope they won't succeed.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Such servers should make clear that they're only a settings clone (if they are indeed) in their names.
Infamous
Average Program

Post by Infamous »

you hope they wont succeed? why? are you against everyone using one server that everybody knows will always be full ?

and you're happy that people are spending money on servers that aren't ever being used? nice.
wrtlprnft

Post by wrtlprnft »

There are servers that feature unique settings and are pretty full, CTWF and 4- team fortress being examples. Just copying and stealing the name isn't that great.

If they had a name like “<server admin>'s server (bugfarm settings)” that would be fine with me and I'd wish them luck, though with the current amount of clones they probably won't have a lot of it unless they have something that makes them unique.
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

The way I read that was that wrtl is against people using the name bugfarm to entice people. The name bugfarm was used on zmans server because he was using the servers to find bugs. Look at the name :wink:
Infamous
Average Program

Post by Infamous »

surely (bugfarm settings) would mean the server is offline ;)

i know what wrtl is saying about the bugs, but what we need is more choice, right now we only have CTWF and 4 team servers that are full day in, day out. Don't get me wrong, they're great servers, but we need (imo) a full "standard" fortress server. Think about the new players just coming in, they might play a lot of 4 team and CT wild, but then they come to play a ladle or similar tournament and won't have any real tactical skills.

Fortress has become a major part of this game, and taking away the biggest fortress server without providing a replacement isnt good for the game (again, imo).
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

So not only is he (and the rest of us, I suppose) supposed to fix bugs, add new features, release new versions, and take a bunch of crap for doing it, we're all also supposed to run really popular servers?

This is a "community". Commune.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Sasha
On Lightcycle Grid

I have server

Post by Sasha »

z-man wrote:And someone offered me a portion of space on a real server with good connection somewhere. I'd like to improve the new lag compensation code a bit more before I get to that, my home server is an excellent environment :)
I have such a server, however it is in use of many programms, so Armagetron server lags sometimes (or not? - need testing). It's 100 Mb bandwith to the internet, dual Opteron (as I know, don't remember), OS - Gentoo linux (also as I remember, so may be not:))

Armagetron server name is "Dubki.ru Frotress". Try it. This server is in Moscow, Russia.

I'm not admin of this server, but admin is my best friend, so he let me to run Arma-server, sometimes later he will give me username/pass, so I can really admin this server and may be he can give you, z-man, some rights on this server to admin Arma-server. I need to talk, it'll take some time. But you must check this server - may be there are a lot of lags, so...it may be sucks:)