Tail Lag?

For things that have to do with those crazy test servers... and yeah. By request of z-man, and, of course, you gotta obey...

Moderator: Z-Man

Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Tail Lag?

Post by Z-Man »

Umm, what is it? Every now and then, someone joins Bugfarm Fortress, shouts "WFT? No more tail lag?" but whenever I ask, I don't get an answer. I one of you could tell me what it is, I can decide whether it's something I want there and whether I can try to recreate it :)
It can't be the rubber induced wall length shrinking. That's in effect, with twice the strength it was a month ago.
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

ive seen a weird tail effect where the tail is drawn from not from behind the rear wheel but from about the center of the bike body, sometimes it can creep forward even more until it is being drawn from the front of the bike

im not sure if it is the tail moving forward or the bike moving backward ?

only happens now and then at random times but once it starts it seems to stay for 10mins or more
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

No, that's a clientside effect (fixed a bit by now), I can't imagine that would be triggered by a serverside change. And especially, people seem to miss it.
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

thanks z-man :)
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
oO.k3nNy
Average Program

tail lag...

Post by oO.k3nNy »

tail lag occured at the start of the experiment of being able to drive through your tail without dying. mostly the screen kinda freezed a bit, sometimes longer but mostly only for a very short time. if it was you yourself driving through your tail you mostly had a short lag-freeze (like max 1 sec) but if you were watching someone the freeze sometimes was much longer.
so much about tail lag :)
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Aha, yes, that happens when the client doesn't know about the tail shortening. I take it as a good thing it is gone now, because I explicitly changed something to make that disappear for enemy cycles if you have prediction disabled. It probably got some people confused who thought the good thing (rubber induced wall shrinkage) and the bad thing (tail lag, well, you could use it explicitly to confuse your enemies, of course, so it's not purely a bad thing) were permanently linked, and they called both things tail lag.
Rain
Round Winner

Post by Rain »

Who talks to me about the tail lag usually is talkin about the cycle_rubber_wall_shrink.
Called "tail lag" because if setted as more than 0 creates a little lag and a jump in the rubber meter when you touch your tail end.
Used by defenders like Skip for creates those little lag useful for confuse the enemy attacker.
longballlasch
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by longballlasch »

it is used to make both defence and attack easier. LOL! both. used by Zop and others and there super attacks and good defenders to close the gap.