Next experiment on Bugfarm Fortress: Break Speed Boost

For things that have to do with those crazy test servers... and yeah. By request of z-man, and, of course, you gotta obey...

Moderator: Z-Man

Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Next experiment on Bugfarm Fortress: Break Speed Boost

Post by Z-Man »

After the next restart, whenever you break away from an enemy wall, you get a speed boost of up to 10 m/s. Since your client probably doesn't know about this, you'll lag slide a bit. I have no clue whether this is useful in any real world situation :)

Of course, again, this is just a setting and will definitely be reverted in a few days whether you like it or not; I don't want to drown in lag slide bug cries :)
Mr. Bougo

Post by Mr. Bougo »

Haha i was on the server when the setting was set up... Its rly strange, and sometimes it's disturbing...

Like on the attachment, i stupidly died 15 min ago, trying to set a wall in the def's core...

EDIT: I was breaking but i think i had no more brakes when I was in the center...
Attachments
Double speedup, too much speed, rubber wasting and CRASH
Double speedup, too much speed, rubber wasting and CRASH
Crash.gif (2.97 KiB) Viewed 8346 times
~*PsYkO*~

Post by ~*PsYkO*~ »

Experimental changes ruin my enjoyment.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I love knee-jerk reactions, that's the truth.

/me wipes the sarcasm off his chin.

First impressions are good, it weakens the goalie in some areas, but strengthens him in others. On the one hand, people mazing around inside against the goalie have to learn to account for a boost in speed. On the other hand, if you get into one of those neat little grinding contests against the goalie, you get a boost off his wall, giving you as an attacker quite an advantage over him. Too bad I didn't fumble my attack when I did it, though, heh.

You guys try not to complain about lag over this one, though. It's a change that really needs to be simulated on the client side, so you'll suffer lag until a client appears that can simulate properly. Then it won't be any different lag than what you've always faced anyway.

(and psyko, you only played like 2 rounds, how can you have possibly learned everything there is to know about it that quickly?)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
belenus
Round Winner

Post by belenus »

Really like this change =)
- bel
Mr. Bougo

Post by Mr. Bougo »

Lucifer wrote:On the one hand, people mazing around inside against the goalie have to learn to account for a boost in speed.
Heh i just said it was a bit disturbing, now i know i cant do it... I didn't complain...

And I have no lag with this new experiment :D
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Nobody said you were complaining, Bougo. :)

Seems like double-grinders would love this. Belenus and I just made quite some interesting attacks where we left the break with really awesome speed (and mostly overwhelming). Sure, he died a lot, but tht's the price you pay for being the leader of the wing. We still managed to crush our counterparts on the other team quite consistently.

I'm enjoying this, adds a nice touch. To be honest, it would surprise me if y'all doublegrinders hated it, it makes double-grinding much better than it was before and strengthens your attack against the goalie, how could you not like that? 8)

- Iron Maiden
garisimo
Average Program

speed boost crap

Post by garisimo »

Yo Z-man stop using crack bro.
Get that speeding crap off. It ruins the realism of the game...

Hehehe

Peace yall
compn

Post by compn »

its a fun change... tunneling out is now 100x more dangerous than it was

any chance increasing the brakes during this test?

attack: its great for killing defense since the boost wins. grinding at start is now fast as heck!

defense: if you account for the boost you can make traps. also mazes barely work anymore so you dont have to worry about that.

(i'm kamakazi)
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Hehe, the deadlyness of mazes now is an unexpected side effect. The intended (but not really wanted) effect is to make speed kills easier. Sneak up someone's back, break, turn back twice, and you got him.

Hmm, the startup shouldn't be faster, and dobule grinders shouldn't be faster either. Only breaks from enemy walls should have an effect. Of course, relative to the last experiment, speeds should be up because you get closer to walls again.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Actually, the reason doublegrinders may not like this move is because they're no longer the fastest things moving after the break. You're right, the doublegrinders aren't faster.

Took awhile for me to notice I was the same speed or faster than the doublegrinder next to me. :) So this takes away their favorite move, they'd be going faster with a regular grind because then they get to break from the center's wall and pick up a boost from it, with doublegrinding, they can't do that.

- Iron Maiden
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

The change is a lot of fun in open play.
I'm sure those who became masters of the brake speed boost would be formidable players.
But close play becomes wildly unpredictable. Given time you would learn to control it to a certain degree. But you do die a lot more easily whilst attacking, it's very hard to control the extra speed.
I got TKed a lot more too, by experienced players that hadn't judged the distances correctly.
Given time people would adjust, but it does give you less control, Far more skill is necessary just to stay alive whilst attacking.

I think this feature would be more at home on a traditional single player arena. There you could really take advantage of it. Not a fortress.
Van-hayes
Round Winner

Post by Van-hayes »

Don't know if you're meant to be able to get a speed boost from your teammates or not, but you can, and if you are meant to be able to the message at the start says that you only gain speed boost from enemys wall. It was confusing some people, making others call out Bug a few times.
You've gone too far, turn back!
~*PsYkO*~

Re: speed boost crap

Post by ~*PsYkO*~ »

garisimo wrote:Yo Z-man stop using crack bro.
Get that speeding crap off. It ruins the realism of the game...

Hehehe

Peace yall
omg awesome point over the realism didn't even think of that..
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Right, because cycles that leave big long walls behind them, travel at 30-70 m/s^2 and make 90-degree turns without being penalized by inertia is realistic.

:o

- Iron Maiden