Fox Hunt

For things that have to do with those crazy test servers... and yeah. By request of z-man, and, of course, you gotta obey...

Moderator: Z-Man

Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Fox Hunt

Post by Concord »

Fox Hunt is a 3v3 hold the flag game that a couple of us have been having fun with recently. Here's some basic info about it so you won't be a noob/confused when you join a game.

Basics
This is the map:

The flag begins in the center. Tails are pretty short, but it still gets crowded, because the arena is very small. Physics will be familiar to any sumo/fort players, but rubber is lower. Auto-respawn is on and set to 8 seconds. There is a DZ after 2 minutes.

Scoring
11 points for holding the flag (for 10 seconds)
2 points for a kill
2 points for using a teammates hole (cancel out a kill with a hole usage)
300 match score limit, and your team must win by 30 or more points.

Flag stuff
You can only score once per flag hold. You will drop the flag automatically after 16 seconds, or 6 seconds after you score. If you auto-drop, the flag goes to the center of the map, where it may be a free-for-all as to which team steals it next.

Rather than auto-drop to center, some players have begun manually dropping the flag so that a teammate can pick it up. This is done with the /drop chat command, which can be set as an instant chat. With /drop, you can sort of pass or hand off the flag to a teammate.

If you drop the flag, you specifically cannot pick it up again for 10 seconds, or until someone else has touched it. Some players find it tactically useful to drop and defend, perhaps if their teammates are dead (unable to receive a pass) and an enemy is controlling the center.

With this relatively simple dynamic, Fox Hunt is fast paced, constantly dynamic game mode. Because of the flag the changes hands every 10-16 seconds, the game never stalls out or gets into a lull. Respawns mean you are almost always playing, and almost never watching, unlike sumo or fort. The best teams so far have been good at passing the flag, which requires a decent amount of teamwork and skill in a crowded grid. Best with 3v3, but perhaps easier with 2v2, as there is more space and it is easier to coordinate with fewer players on the grid. It is a lot of fun.
takburger
Match Winner

Re: Fox Hunt

Post by takburger »

sounds a lot of fun. Haven't seen a server named like that, but I'll try if I see people in.
pike
Round Winner

Post by pike »

Server is called The Fox Hunt, looks interesting, but I haven't played it with other players yet :P
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Yeah, pike, I saw you in and you left just as I entered.
Just a suggestion: Maybe have a 'how to play' type of thing for the MESSAGE_OF_DAY?
Not everyone comes here ,and I tried the server without coming here. I must say, I had no clue what to do.
Concord

Post by Concord »

some of us are interested in playing a serious match of this. RD & ks played a couple last weekend. It was 2-2.

maybe 17:00 GMT sunday, an hour before the CTWF tournament?

we need 6 total who know how to play and know about /drop.

if more want to play, we could do a mini-tournament.

anyone interested?
bilbo baggins
Round Winner

Post by bilbo baggins »

cant say i know how to play but it looks fun
Concord

Post by Concord »

several good matches played today, including one match in which sine.wav & I defeated three enemies 309-247.

2v3 is very difficult in foxhunt, but our teamwork is just that good ;]
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Concord wrote:our teamwork is just that good ;]
Us old skool CTF players rok dis shizz.