Bugfarm Pit

For things that have to do with those crazy test servers... and yeah. By request of z-man, and, of course, you gotta obey...

Moderator: Z-Man

Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Re: Bugfarm Pit

Post by Phytotron »

1200 wrote:
Lucifer wrote:The Lobster Shack, Breakfast in Hell, Swampland, Armagoshdarnish, Tigers, all servers with completely different physics settings (and mostly derived from a common lineage, afaik). So what is classic play, then?
Classic: Having a high quality that is recognized and unquestioned. (Oxford American Dictionary)

From that list i would only include Swampland since the others are not around or nobody plays them anymore. Personally I would also add fort, sumo, HR, Shrunkland & Nexus in the classic settings list as well...
Erm, Swampland isn't around any longer. However, Shrunkland is back. Tiger's, now called Guru3's Server, is still around (although methinks it needs some 180/adjust prevention put in). BiH is back in a slightly different form. Armagoshdarn is, well, "back" but presently incorrect, to be remedied in the not too distant future (at which point all those players who've been clamouring for years that they want 'goshdarn back are gonna need to step up).

High rubber, fortress, and sumo are "classic" Arma servers the way Nirvana is classic rock. Or Weather Report is classic jazz. Or Yanni is classical music. Or McDonald's is classic cuisine. That is, not.

And besides, I only used "classic"—in quotations, mind you—as short-hand, anyway.
Van-hayes
Round Winner

Post by Van-hayes »

1200 wrote:
Lucifer wrote:The reason for the shrink is to give the player who owns the wall the same chance with it that the player who doesn't own the wall already has.
Could you explain this statement a little more? How is having the shrink giving the player who owns the tail the same chance and same chance at doing what?
My understanding of cycle_rubber_wall_shrink is that it allows you to go through the end of your own tail as you would someone else's. Lucifer's description is pretty good actually, I think the best way to understand it is to mess with the setting in either a server you have admin on or local game.

As to using fortress as an example for wall_shrink; it is just easier to explain imo than with sumo or LMS servers since there is almost always a defender who, for the most part, stays close to their tail end and an attacker who will try to get in through there. Not to mention it is what I mostly play, and was first implemented on iirc.

But back on topic, playing in single player in Bugfarm Pit I noticed I was awarded a core dump when the bot's zone collapsed if i had driven close to it for a while beforehand instead of it losing 30 points. Is this new or was i just not seeing it in regular play with real people?
You've gone too far, turn back!
Core Dumper

Post by newbie »

Lucifer wrote:I guess you missed the part where this thread isn't about fortress? ;)
We have different playing styles.
Van-hayes wrote: My understanding of cycle_rubber_wall_shrink is that it allows you to go through the end of your own tail as you would someone else's.
You can't go through the end of someone else's tail.
1, 4, 6, 9, 11, 21, 24, 33, 34, 35

Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Van-hayes wrote:But back on topic, playing in single player in Bugfarm Pit I noticed I was awarded a core dump when the bot's zone collapsed if i had driven close to it for a while beforehand instead of it losing 30 points. Is this new or was i just not seeing it in regular play with real people?
It wasn't there on the first day, but on the second or third. The purpose is to try and give the player doing the pushing out some credit.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Phytotron wrote:
1200 wrote:
Lucifer wrote:The Lobster Shack, Breakfast in Hell, Swampland, Armagoshdarnish, Tigers, all servers with completely different physics settings (and mostly derived from a common lineage, afaik). So what is classic play, then?
Classic: Having a high quality that is recognized and unquestioned. (Oxford American Dictionary)

From that list i would only include Swampland since the others are not around or nobody plays them anymore. Personally I would also add fort, sumo, HR, Shrunkland & Nexus in the classic settings list as well...
Erm, Swampland isn't around any longer. However, Shrunkland is back. Tiger's, now called Guru3's Server, is still around (although methinks it needs some 180/adjust prevention put in). BiH is back in a slightly different form. Armagoshdarn is, well, "back" but presently incorrect, to be remedied in the not too distant future (at which point all those players who've been clamouring for years that they want 'goshdarn back are gonna need to step up).

High rubber, fortress, and sumo are "classic" Arma servers the way Nirvana is classic rock. Or Weather Report is classic jazz. Or Yanni is classical music. Or McDonald's is classic cuisine. That is, not.

And besides, I only used "classic"—in quotations, mind you—as short-hand, anyway.
I would love to support the idea here that Phytotron is bringing up about customizing the physics. I am working on several Last Man Standing servers for the TR2NOrigins game. None of them will be a clone of a popular server here, but more like my opinion on different ways of doing things. In private, Phytotron has been taking the time to show me the reasons for doing this, and helping me develop unique servers. I also think that sine's idea of a sumo server with 1 point for conquering zones and 3 points for core dumps is quite intriguing! Perhaps with some tweaks to the physics, it would be even more fun. Phytotron has suggested some potential tweaks that I will play with. Personally, I also prefer the "sumo with chutes" map that Durka came up with. For those who have never tried it, it's the map used on the TX Sumo servers.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm