moderator excuses...

For things that have to do with those crazy test servers... and yeah. By request of z-man, and, of course, you gotta obey...

Moderator: Z-Man

hoop
Round Winner

moderator excuses...

Post by hoop »

There's been some issues about conflicts between players and moderators in CT cafè clone.
So, I'm here first to say I'm sorry if anybody has been hurted by my quick and rude mod-actions, expecially I believe DS-Plage and DS-Fabi might feel interested.
I'm quite sure you guys now hate me and I'm sure it's PARTIALLY my fault.

Here is what I think about that kind of events:

Moderators are players too: they are first there to play and they are doing a FAVOR to everyone who play in that server, so USUALLY a moderator (at least, me) prefers to act instead of talking.
I've been told many times something like: "hey hoop, warn before silencing people".
I have 3 good reasons not to do that:
1- I'm playing, so I try to avoid losing time and concentration.
2- In my experience, acting is (in most cases) more efficient than talking. Sorry, but this would take too much space to be argued.
3- Silencing someone for 1 or 2 minutes is... "OMG what!!!? you've silenced me? WHAAAT?"... please, come back down the pedestal

The same concept can be applied to both kicking and suspending, of course with some adjustments.

If you have never been a moderator, or you've never had such kind of "power", you probably don't know what that means, trust me!
I could figure out that myself when the first mod appeared at wrtl's fortress cafe: I didn't like epsy's behavior.
Later, when wrtl asked me to be mod too, I understood why, and I had to agree with epsy's way.

I'd have lot of other things to say more, but I've probably bored you enough...
So, Plage, Fabi and others who feel they deserve my excuses: I am sorry, don't hate me!
I've said some bad things like "STFU" or "I thought you had a brain", etc... Just forget them: you know how things happens in those situations.
I am mod because someone asked me, and I do my best to be fair. Of course I can't do always the right thing.

That's all, I think... peace :wink:
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: moderator excuses...

Post by DDMJ »

hoop wrote:I've been told many times something like: "hey hoop, warn before silencing people".
I have 3 good reasons not to do that:
1- I'm playing, so I try to avoid losing time and concentration.
You should always warn before taking action. Otherwise, people may be unaware that they're "crossing the line."

Just setup an instant chat like "/admin say Watch your language" or something like that.
plage

Post by plage »

Thanks for saying sorry, but i think u have to warn, because u were given the ability to kick silence etc, so u arent a normal player anymore!

I think an Admin is there to make a good friendly way of playing possible but not to kick various players just because they have different meanings of one thing!

Another thing is, i think admins are also there do take a look that new players dont always kill others. If they are new, they have to watch a few rounds.
If this happens once i think noone will complain but if they kill u 3 times in a row, I think its normal if u kill them once or twice before they kill u by doing the same stupid moves like the rounds before!
And for such things "good" players get kicked or banned!
Thats what i cant understand and comprehend!
hoop
Round Winner

Post by hoop »

plage wrote:I think an Admin is there to make a good friendly way of playing possible but not to kick various players just because they have different meanings of one thing!
I've kicked ONE player ONE time "just" because he INTENTIONALLY tked a player that was tking him NOT on purpose... also, he was not a noob.
Plus, you were not even there when that happened so you'd better off just shut up...
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

hoop wrote:I've kicked ONE player ONE time "just" because he INTENTIONALLY tked a player that was tking him NOT on purpose... also, he was not a noob.
Doesn't that mean that he IS a noob?
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

plage wrote:I think an Admin is there to make a good friendly way of playing possible but not to kick various players just because they have different meanings of one thing!
So is your meaning of a good friendly way of playing having everyone cuss at eachother/at the operator and everybody bashing every newcomer?
plage wrote:Another thing is, i think admins are also there do take a look that new players dont always kill others. If they are new, they have to watch a few rounds.
w00t i got a new game but i can just watch others play!
plage wrote:And for such things "good" players get kicked or banned!
Thats what i cant understand and comprehend!
Thank you for not caring about newbies at all. I'm sure the fortress circles will grow perfectly like this. Did you read my other post?
plage

Post by plage »

plage wrote:
Another thing is, i think admins are also there do take a look that new players dont always kill others. If they are new, they have to watch a few rounds.
w00t i got a new game but i can just watch others play!
If its a team game, yes! Its not that horrible to watch 2 rounds to see that one has to split and to grind, isnt it?
Thank you for not caring about newbies at all. I'm sure the fortress circles will grow perfectly like this. Did you read my other post?
Sure i care about new arma players, but if they dont listen and just continue their team killing way of playing, what would u do? And dont try to convince me u would talk to them 100 times if they dont listen...

I havent read ur whole post and i dont understand everything, but what i understand is that u cant really stand criticism.
I think asking for the reason why one get banned or silenced is a right which every player has!
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

You don't know they're not listening. You don't know they're not trying.

They're new. Words like "grind", "split", and "tk" don't mean anything to them. They may not have found the chat key, probably only read enough to turn left and right. It's an international community, they may not even speak your language, or the one you're using.

Fact is, when it comes down to it, you do *not* know what's on the other side of the socket.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

plage wrote:If its a team game, yes! Its not that horrible to watch 2 rounds to see that one has to split and to grind, isnt it?
Its not that horrible to be silenced 2 rounds, is it? More seriously, he will just wonder why the view totally changes when he presses left and right and won't see what are the players doing.
plage wrote:I havent read ur whole post and i dont understand everything, but what i understand is that u cant really stand criticism.
At least read it (entirely, of course) before considering me as "not being able to stand criticism".
plage wrote:I think asking for the reason why one get banned or silenced is a right which every player has!
Yes, indeed. If the guy that got punished did not understand why he was punished, that would mean that the punishment had failed.
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

Admins/mods get a hard time for doing the right thing. Most people that are complaining are not new to the game and should know how to behave without being warned. Why should admins/mods have to justify every single action they take?
I do warn people first but really, in many cases, it should not be necessary.

The server owner chooses people, that he/she trusts, for that role. If anyone is not happy then speak to the server owner explaining your problem. The server owner's decision should then be final.
Playing since December 2006