Moderator Power Abuse

For things that have to do with those crazy test servers... and yeah. By request of z-man, and, of course, you gotta obey...

Moderator: Z-Man

Hoax
Shutout Match Winner
Posts: 892
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:24 pm
Location: UK

Post by Hoax »

Monkey wrote:Radian, you were not even there until after hoax was telling me what to do and you dont know what hoax constantly says to mods so keep out of it.
Radian was there before both of us. Since he was in the server at the time he is free to post here & express his opinion; so watch how you talk to someone whos played this alot longer than you.
Monkey wrote:
Hoax wrote:Anyways I liked how you came running back to the server when I told you everyone was against your decision.
I came back in to play after speaking on irc with people. You should by now that I don't come 'running back'.
Also, not 'everyone' was against it, just durka, radian and akira said anything against it.
mmm no when you left, Zion etc spoke up.

Also the actual person we were trying to help told you to unsilence me.


We done here.

Monkey
Match Winner
Posts: 735
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 12:36 am
Location: England, UK

Post by Monkey »

Hoax wrote:watch how you talk to someone whos played this alot longer than you
How long someone has played has nothing to do with how I speak to them.
Don't tell me how to speak to people. This is exactly what K-Yo, epsy and I have kicked you/silenced you for in the past. Not just the odd comment but your constantly telling people how to act.

I know that I don't abuse my powers and if people can't see that then that is their problem.

K-Yo is correct, if you aren't happy with an admin/mod then tell the server owner but in the end it is their right to do what they want, whatever that may be. There is no point in discussing this any more so I won't be.
Playing since December 2006

epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 2006
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:02 pm
Location: paris
Contact:

Post by epsy »

Monkey wrote:
Hoax wrote:watch how you talk to someone whos played this alot longer than you
This is exactly what K-Yo, epsy and I have kicked you/silenced you for in the past.
Speak for yourself, and stop trying to put FoFo and me against hoax.

Hoax
Shutout Match Winner
Posts: 892
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:24 pm
Location: UK

Post by Hoax »

Heh you weasel.

Please leave people like epsy & fofo alone..they've nothing to do with this & the fact you would try to influence my own clan mates with lies to try & rescue your reputation says all I need to know about you now. Don't use wrtl either.

Now I suggest you leave this & forget about it.

Monkey
Match Winner
Posts: 735
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 12:36 am
Location: England, UK

Post by Monkey »

I didnt try to put fofo and you against hoax. I told fofo that i had an argument with hoax. I said nothing else at all. Please tell me epsy how i tried to persuade fofo against hoax?
I also wanted to clear up the fact that hoax was constantly slagging you (yes you epsy) behind your back while you were admin of cafe.

I said there is no point in carrying this on hoax but yet you keep doing it, not me. Now I really will leave it there, unless someone else puts lies here like epsy.
Playing since December 2006

epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 2006
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:02 pm
Location: paris
Contact:

Post by epsy »

Then, prove it.

User avatar
Corn1
Core Dumper
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:53 pm

Post by Corn1 »

Im going to stay pretty neutral on this, but i was there and i can say there wasnt really any reason for hoax to have been globally silenced, honestly what i think the right thing would have been is for monkey to have just silenced him in his player police and this all wouldnt have happened. i dont really think this problem deserved its own thread as its not really a big enough issue for anyone to get in any real trouble imo though.

Btw Hoax was talking in team chat (i believe he was able to talk in there but unable to talk in the public.)

User avatar
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 1882
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:15 am
Location: LA, CA, USA, NA
Contact:

Post by DDMJ »

Monkey wrote:Also, not 'everyone' was against it, just durka, radian and akira said anything against it.
Not one person was for it, except you. Oh, and you might wanna read the logs when you left - no one understood why you did it.
Corn1 wrote:honestly what i think the right thing would have been is for monkey to have just silenced him in his player police and this all wouldnt have happened
That's exactly what I was saying. Since Monkey was the only one "bothered" by Hoax, he should've silenced him in his player police menu.
Monkey wrote:Certainly you, Durka are one of the most annoying and if you really don't think so then you have no self-awareness. I am sure that I am not one of the most popular myself, although I don't go out of my way to be that way.
Maybe in your mind I'm annoying, but coincidently, no one else thinks this way. Have you realized why you might not be popular? How many times have you suspended a new player into spec mode because they weren't grinding the first round they got there. You tell them to watch, then they don't understand why they can't play. Then 2-3 rounds go bye and they're still in spec mode, wondering why they can't play. Then, they just leave.

IMO, you're not promoting freshness to the game of fort. How did you learn to play Monkey? You can sit in spec mode and watch for hours and hours. That doesn't mean you're going to be able to replicate that in-game.
Monkey wrote:
sinewav wrote:
Monkey wrote:You don't poll mods and expect it to be ok.
...is actually the definition of power abuse.
No it's not. For players to try to provoke mods is not acceptable. I have never polled a mod/admin and expect others to do the same.
The entire point of being a moderator is that you can moderator play activity from a non-bias point of view. However, if a moderator thinks that he's above the players, then there's where the problem lies.

As long as players don't type /players, it shouldn't be obvious who the moderators are. Therefore, if playerA feels that playerB is doing something that deserves a poll kick, playerA has every right to start a poll kick, regardless of who playerB is, even if he is the server owner, Z-Man, or even playerA (himself).

If you really want to think that way Monkey, you should have just kept the poll going and seen what would've happened. Then, if it got rejected (which I think it did), you should've poll kicked me. If the rest of the players agreed with you (I highly doubt that), then I would've been auto kicked.

The fact of the matter is that you admin kicked me for absolutely no good reason.

Hoax
Shutout Match Winner
Posts: 892
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:24 pm
Location: UK

Post by Hoax »

Monkey wrote:I didnt try to put fofo and you against hoax. I told fofo that i had an argument with hoax. I said nothing else at all. Please tell me epsy how i tried to persuade fofo against hoax?
I also wanted to clear up the fact that hoax was constantly slagging you (yes you epsy) behind your back while you were admin of cafe.
You're doing it right now.
Have you made up msg logs between me & wrtl or something? Nice. Else how would you know what I've said to anyone.
Also usually when someone enters a server the first thing you say is hello? Not I had an arguement with your mate...

I think durka's summed this up quite nicely.

Monkey
Match Winner
Posts: 735
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 12:36 am
Location: England, UK

Post by Monkey »

durka wrote:How many times have you suspended a new player into spec mode because they weren't grinding the first round they got there. You tell them to watch, then they don't understand why they can't play. Then 2-3 rounds go bye and they're still in spec mode, wondering why they can't play. Then, they just leave.
My procedure is as follows:
I make sure that the person knows how to speak, by telling them in several languages to press s. I then speak to them and teach them how to grind. If they seem to be acknowledging then I dont suspend them. I teach them with my instant chats that I have specially for new players as well as talking in chat. Even if they aren't doing great in the start grind, as long as they are trying I do not suspend them. If they can't grind for quite a few rounds then I suspend them and explain to them that I have put them into spectator mode just to watch how we do the start grind. I tell them that they will be able to play again soon.
How did you learn to play Monkey?
I learnt on fortress, by coming in and not only listening to people but also asking what I should be doing. I got kicked a few times just for being new and I wish that someone would have been able to put me into spectator mode where I would have listened and watched for a couple of rounds.

I care more about helping new people to learn fortress than just about anyone. Anyone that knows me well in this game should say the same thing about me.
Playing since December 2006

User avatar
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 1882
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:15 am
Location: LA, CA, USA, NA
Contact:

Post by DDMJ »

Monkey wrote:I care more about helping new people to learn fortress than just about anyone. Anyone that knows me well in this game should say the same thing about me.
Fine. Agreed. But don't kick me.

EOD

Monkey
Match Winner
Posts: 735
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 12:36 am
Location: England, UK

Post by Monkey »

I kicked you because you polled me, you polled me because you thought I TKed the team on purpose. I didn't TK the team on purpose.

Durka and I have agreed on IRC that this matter is over. Sorted.
Playing since December 2006

User avatar
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 1882
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:15 am
Location: LA, CA, USA, NA
Contact:

Post by DDMJ »

Lock this thread.

User avatar
ed
Match Winner
Posts: 613
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:34 pm
Location: UK

Post by ed »

I'm crawling back into the hole that I'm very busy in at the moment.
I don't even have the time to properly try to read and unravel this thread and the logs to get the fuller picture. I'm sure I'd find it was just a clash of personalities where each was partly to blame for the outcome.

I made Monkey a mod as he is one of the players that will spend time with new players, teaching them how to auth, fortress basics etc.

Everyone who knows Monkey should know how hot headed he is. If you wind him up you will feel his wrath.
He is actually a nice guy once you get to know him. Well, maybe nice is not the word I'm looking for ;)

As it happens the thing he was being asked to do (op a player) he doesn't have the power to do anyway.

plage
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:20 pm

Post by plage »

I kicked you because you polled me
So if i poll someone i have to be sure its not an admin, otherwise i get kicked?

Post Reply