Eddie's Armathenticated Fortress

For things that have to do with those crazy test servers... and yeah. By request of z-man, and, of course, you gotta obey...

Moderator: Z-Man

ed
Match Winner

Eddie's Armathenticated Fortress

Post by ed »

I've set up a fortress server, basically a cafe clone, that will only allow you to play if you're armathenticated @forums.

Meaning you will need an account on these here forums, then type "/login forums" on the server, then enter your forum username/password when prompted.

It even has its own ladder here. You will have to have played over 50 rounds there before you are given a ladder score.
Thanks to Lackadaisical for the stylesheet on the ladder page :)

It now logs who captures zones, so an attacker has as good a chance of being at the top as a good defender who amasses high scores.
If a zone is "ganked" by more than one player the zone_conquered point is divided between the number of attackers.

The ladder score is currently worked out as follows...

Code: Select all

rounds_won*((points/2)+zones_conquered-dumped-suicide-tked)*100/total_rounds*total_rounds
meaning the guy who stays alive, scores points, conquers zones and wins rounds will do alright :)

It will only log data if there is >= 4 players on the grid at the start of the round.

Oh, and there's a new scoring system in place. It's first to 100 as before, but the winning team must be at least 10 points ahead, otherwise it continues until one team is 10 points ahead or the 20 round limit has been reached.

Any suggestions welcome. Or bugs, etc on the ladder or server.
Hope we can have a few decent matches there.
Last edited by ed on Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Eddie's Armathenticated Fortress

Post by DDMJ »

ed wrote:Any suggestions welcome.
How about getting rid of the "@forums" on the ladder since everyone has to have it?
Round Winner

Post by 1200 »

The ladder score is currently worked out as follows...
Code:
rounds_won*((points/2)+zones_conquered-dumped-suicide-tked)*100/total_rounds*total_rounds
Is the stat "tked"in the formula team-kills or team-killed???
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

1200 wrote:team-killed???
Yep.
It's trying to capture all players deaths, to use it against you.

I'm very open to suggestions on this formula. Apparently I wrote it, but it looks very odd.

And yes Durka, that is the plan. It was that way for testing purposes.
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

How about a statistic called 'team effectiveness' or something, which is basically the average of the points a team scored in a round / points a team couldve scored that round.

I'd see this work with points gathered by the enemy as negative points, so it would look something like:

(enemies killed * 2 + zones conquererd * 4 + round win * 6 - friends killed *2 - zones lost *4 - round lost *6) / (# enemies * 2 + enemy zones * 4 + 6)

In theory you'd be able to get an effectiveness higher than 1 (when someone suicides but at the same time makes a hole in the enemies wall), but oh well

another suggestion: How about, at a match page something like "based on the ladder ratings this match is going to end up 100 - ... for team blue/gold"

You could calculate it by looking at the the stats from the players who were in the match, and calculate how much every team would score averagly per round, divide the worst team by the best one and put that number * 100 on the dots.

edit 2: it would be even better if it would tell that ratio on the server before the first round starts! hah that would be awesome.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

ed wrote:I've set up a fortress server, basically a cafe clone, that will only allow you to play if you're armathenticated @forums.
Ahh, users, here we come...
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

DDMJ wrote:How about getting rid of the "@forums" on the ladder since everyone has to have it?
Done.

Lack, some nice suggestions. Trouble is, as the data is captured it's grouped together for each player for each day. This allows me to only show records for the previous x days.
It doesn't keep records of how many players started each particular round. That would require a near total rewrite of both the parser and the ladder page.
I've tried to keep things simple. The data you see on the ladder page is pretty much all it captures, although that does give us a fair amount to work with.
Lackadaisical wrote:it would be even better if it would tell that ratio on the server before the first round starts! hah that would be awesome.
What would be nice, is for the server to shuffle teams around based on the players score in the ladder, so fairer teams can be made automatically.
ie. for all players on the server, highest on the ladder - team gold, 2nd - team blue, 3rd - team gold, etc...
Having to shuffle back into prefered positions may be annoying, but both teams would have the same problems, whoever copes best would have an advantage, all part of the game ;)
göku

Post by göku »

nice ladders
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

ed wrote:What would be nice, is for the server to shuffle teams around based on the players score in the ladder, so fairer teams can be made automatically.
ie. for all players on the server, highest on the ladder - team gold, 2nd - team blue, 3rd - team gold, etc...
Thanks to our friendly neighbourhood Voodoo Priest, this is now in operation on the server.
A couple of tweaks...
if there is an odd number of players, the last player will be assigned to the weaker team, according to the ladder.
ie, for these players on the grid, they would be assigned these teams...

marty rank 4 team_blue
george rank 7 team_gold
biff rank 20 team_blue
doc rank 35 team_gold
lorraine rank 50 team_gold
if you're on the grid and are wondering what your rank is, type:

/cmd ladder <-- displays your rank
/cmd ladder 10 <-- displays the top 10 ranks
/cmd ladder players <-- displays the ranks of all those players who are currently on a team
We'll see how it goes, not fully tested yet. Please type "BUG: blah blah" if something weird happens (replace blah blah with the weird happening ;) )
DDMJ

Post by DDMJ »

ed wrote:Please type "BUG: blah blah" if something weird happens (replace blah blah with the weird happening ;) )
PLAYER_1 wtf BUG ??
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

How far back will the data go? (i.e. CTWF data only goes back 3 weeks)
A month maybe, since people dont use it that often?
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

owned wrote:How far back will the data go?
It's currently 28 days.
Here's hoping we get some more players :)
AUcarlton

created my account

Post by AUcarlton »

Just created an account and should hopefully be seeing you guys in the server soon. :D
kyle
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

nice to see you here carlton
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

I've renamed the server simply to "Fortress Authenticated".

I have created another fortress clone without auth called "Fortress Open" where anyone can play.
There are no ladders or team switching features here, just a basic fortress. The only feature that sets it apart is that you need to be 10 points in the clear with over 100 points to win the match.