New Cafe Spam Settings?

For things that have to do with those crazy test servers... and yeah. By request of z-man, and, of course, you gotta obey...

Moderator: Z-Man

Ricochet
Round Winner

New Cafe Spam Settings?

Post by Ricochet »

It seems that in the last couple of days the Spam settings on Cafe have become a hell of a lot more strict, I was just wondering why they have been made like that...

I was silenced for 25 seconds earlier on because I did "Defend!" and "Fall Back!" (2 seperate) instant chats. Theres no way of reverting to how it was previously?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

How many color codes are in your instachats?
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

Your def down chats were shit anyway alex :)
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

Ricochet
Round Winner

Post by Ricochet »

zman: about 3, but up until a couple of days ago it accepted them fine and i could carry on talking afterwards...

hoax: youre gay

epsy: that doesnt mean much to me as i didnt know what it was before :p
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Ricochet wrote:zman: about 3, but up until a couple of days ago it accepted them fine and i could carry on talking afterwards...
Well, yeah, but you see, the change epsy linked to precisely was a change in color code handling. Color codes now increase the spam level of a chat line. Two color codes in team messages should not change the spam level (there's a compensating change that makes team messages considered to be less spammy), and the increase is logarithmic in the number of color codes, i.e. really benign. Three color codes should not result in significantly more silencing. That leaves three possible explanations:
1. "about 3" means "8".
2. wrtl also adapted the spam related settings.
3. there's a bug in the new code.

To rule out 3., could you go to Bugfarm Newbie Fortress, do your two instas, and cry "BUG"?
Ricochet
Round Winner

Post by Ricochet »

it wouldnt even let me do the instant chats in bugfarm newbie fortress... and then it spamkicked me when i tried again...
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

It's pretty much explanation nr. 1 :)

Code: Select all

/team 0xffff00D 0xffcc00e 0xffaa00f 0xff8800e 0xff5500n 0xff3300d 0xff0000!
/team 0xffff00F 0xffdd00a 0xffbb00l 0xffaa00l 0xff8800B 0xff6600a 0xff4400c 0xff2200k 0xff0000!
7 and 9 color codes. The algorithm correctly classifies this as obnoxious. I suggest you get some less annoying instas, since I don't think we're going to make this configurable.
madmax
Round Winner

Post by madmax »

Those def down messages aren't that annoying.

What's really annoying are the multi-line, colorful, 5 in a row smileys.
What's the point?

(/me secretly hopes people will get kicked by that now)
Winner of the How Many Pages Before The Lock® competition and a grand total of 18,93 euros in Euromillions.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Depends on the number of color changes :) You now get three "you've been spamsilenced" messages before you get kicked, and after a sufficiently long period of silence, the firs thing you say, whatever it is, does not count towards spam. That's a total of four lines that don't get you kicked, so the second line of your five line smiley needs to contain at least two color codes, better three. I don't really care, though, because I silence people who do that on my client, along with those who think chatting in yellow is for n00bs and those who go "LOL" every time someone makes a turn.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I only go LOL when somebody makes a left turn.\

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

F4aholics anonymous :|
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Just be glad this isn't the old days where you could say the same line over and over and over.