Changes in Café?

For things that have to do with those crazy test servers... and yeah. By request of z-man, and, of course, you gotta obey...

Moderator: Z-Man

DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Changes in Café?

Post by DDMJ »

Umm, can we go back to the old scoring please? I don't see how the "new" scoring system has improved gameplay at all.

The only thing the "new" scoring system does is help the losing team. Even if you lost the round, you could still grab their zone right before the round resets for 4 points. Well, IMO, if you've lost the round, you've lost and shouldn't be able to get any easy brownie points.

As I remain on the "Changes in Café" topic, how about incorporating the 2v2 unconquerable zone setting?

Code: Select all

FORTRESS_DEFEND_RATE 0.25
Also, I was thinking of why I don't like CTWF...well, I know this isn't the CT forums, but how about setting CYCLE_RUBBER_WALL_SHRINK to 1 just like Café. It will keep some consistency in the game. That's one of the reasons I don't like playing in that server. It's kind of hard to get used to that setting really quickly.
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

Personally I prefer the newer scoring system.
It means that if the round was more equal, ie. both teams were able to conquer the opponents base or neither was, the score reflects this.
Or if one team conquers the others base and manages to hold their own too, they are rewarded with more points.
How this helps the losing team I don't understand. Sure it gives them more opportunity to catch up, but it also gives the winning team a greater opportunity to break further ahead.

I also prefer the old style where 2 attackers can conquer the base of 2 defenders simply because I think attacking should be encouraged over defence. So the more attacking players should have the slight advantage.

About ctwf, I honestly thought cycle_rubber_wall_shrink was 1 and had been for many months, I checked and it turns out it was 0.5, higher ping players may notice this setting more than me. It has now been changed to 1. Just for you Durka :wink:
kyle
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

ed wrote: higher ping players may notice this setting more than me.
ya we notice the extra lag :D
Concord

Post by Concord »

may I ask
exactly what
wall shrink
is?

I like the scoring
in café
and even
if both zones
are conquered
if the winning teams
zone is unentered by
the losing teams players
when the other zone is captured
then the winning team still gets 6 points
for holding the zone
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

The wiki wrote:CYCLE_RUBBER_WALL_SHRINK With finite length trails, the used rubber is multiplied with this value and the result is subtracted from the wall length.
Concord

Post by Concord »

thanks
epsy

o cool
now i understand
why that'd
throw some people
Rain
Round Winner

Post by Rain »

a good question would be: when does the round end really?
if they conquered it, they conquered it. it doesn't happen that winners bikes stop and loosers one can finally run for the zone. the difference between conquering a zone 3 seconds earlier, or 3 seconds later, are 6 points. and i find it fair.
however it is true the end of the round is only a partial end.
ideas for future development: maybe end of round could cause to bikes to slow down and stop? or just winners zone could collapse after they got the enemy fortress, similar to what happens in sumo.
END OF LINE
Concord

Post by Concord »

do games
in general
end when a winner
is reached?

thats a fundamental question
madmax
Round Winner

Re: Changes in Café?

Post by madmax »

This seems like a relatively appropriate thread.

Why is it that on Café the 120 seconds protection against random polls only starts counting after you try to poll the first time?
It's pretty lame when you've been there for a quite a while, some random fool enters the server, and you can't kick him right away :(
Winner of the How Many Pages Before The Lock® competition and a grand total of 18,93 euros in Euromillions.
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

madmax wrote:Why is it that on Café the 120 seconds protection against random polls only starts counting after you try to poll the first time?
It was a bug. I fixed it last month or so, for 0.2.8.3_rc1. Café is just running an older version.

Changes since 0.2.8.3_beta3:
[…]
- Fixed VOTING_MATURITY to use the time when the player entered as its 
  reference time.
[…]
epsy

Post by epsy »

Hmm, café was running bzr/0.2.8/r1136. Upgraded it to 1137.
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

epsy wrote:Hmm, café was running bzr/0.2.8/r1136. Upgraded it to 1137.
Really? The server reports it is running 0.2.8_alpha20090228. The last change committed to configure.ac was on 2009-04-06, and when you “make” after a change to configure.ac the version will be regenerated. Maybe something is up with your installation. The version reported should be greater than 2009-04-06.
epsy

Post by epsy »

$ ../arma-0.2.8-bzr/bin/armagetronad-dedicated --version
This is armagetronad-dedicated version 0.2.8_alpha20090426.
Meh. Asking wrtlprnft to restart it.