Fortress Test Server

For things that have to do with those crazy test servers... and yeah. By request of z-man, and, of course, you gotta obey...

Moderator: Z-Man

Rain
Round Winner

Post by Rain »

thx 2020 :)

well, wrtlprnft said actually we can stay there, so we stay :) thx to him.

there is a new feature in the server. a key word to leave feedbacks. like it was BUG for old bugfarm fortress. this key word is FEED. please, do use properly, since im not a programmer, there is no script to automatize things, im checking all manually.
surely help is welcome. always.
so, if you are lazy or want to leave a feedback in-game, because then you'll forget too soon, use: FEED and then your feedback.
example:

FEED I want the cycle_speed to 30! i feel like on valium!

some new feedbacks:

mr tickle: i wish the messages were clearer... when 5 points are awarded....

help im a bug: FEED i don't like losing points for death. it discourages interesting play

mr tickle: FEED this acceleration makes for trickier sumo

mr tickle: FEED the launch impact zone is way messier because of the acceleration.... even harder for noobs to

---

0-49736
Rain
Round Winner

Post by Rain »

new feedbacks:

©TŠ¶4: FEED: the rubber is OK

°°fLasH: FEED

so, there you can find an example of what to not do. thank you flash for giving the example.

---

49737-51133

---

EDIT: adding new feedbacks...

~|DS|~zion: FEED: do u like to set rubber to 4?

(=~luAp~<@>: FEED make rubber recover faster

~|DS|~zion: feed: enable autojoin teams on connect

(=~luAp~<@>: no it keeps noobs out (about autojoin)

POWERZ: FEED: i think that the rubber should be slower and better. and the brakes be a little bit longer.

~|ßµc|~: FEED*

---

51134-54360
Core Dumper

Post by newbie »

how would it be if the team score wouldn't be affected by player's score?

we could keep individual points only for reference and go for the kills|deaths chart

imho this looks very interesting, it favours more the game objective and diminishes wins by kills
1, 4, 6, 9, 11, 21, 24, 33, 34, 35

~*PsYkO*~

Post by ~*PsYkO*~ »

Rain wrote:new feedbacks:

©TŠ¶4: FEED: the rubber is OK

°°fLasH: FEED

so, there you can find an example of what to not do. thank you flash for giving the example.

---

49737-51133

---

EDIT: adding new feedbacks...

~|DS|~zion: FEED: do u like to set rubber to 4?

(=~luAp~<@>: FEED make rubber recover faster

~|DS|~zion: feed: enable autojoin teams on connect

(=~luAp~<@>: no it keeps noobs out (about autojoin)

POWERZ: FEED: i think that the rubber should be slower and better. and the brakes be a little bit longer.

~|ßµc|~: FEED*

---

51134-54360
hehe seems like people want to make fortress easier ;)
Rain
Round Winner

Post by Rain »

newbie: that is exactly what i hope will never happen. fortress players are already too concentrated to their own scores instead to the goodness of the team. if you split the game in a personal objective and a team objective you create a conflict and yet said the players will care of their score, and not of the team. in this way should be better to just play sumo or build a new server style fortress-like in single player mode. and sadly it seems most people are just waiting for it, but it is no team game. anyway i hope we could finally try out every idea, so, why not. i personally think fortress as Lucifer do. since it is a team game, personal scores has no sense and they could be just eliminated.

psyko: it seems.. heh
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

OMG RUBBER PLAYAS RUING TEH GAME!

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Core Dumper

Post by newbie »

Rain wrote:if you split the game in a personal objective and a team objective you create a conflict and yet said the players will care of their score
the new chart is just a cosmetic change since current +1 -1 system does quite the same thing, it shows the difference between kills and deaths
since it is a team game, personal scores has no sense and they could be just eliminated
personal score shows player's efficiency so i would keep it, however if someone coredumps his opponent and gets X points and his team gets X points too, it's in some way a remnant of the last man standing mode

Rain
Round Winner

Post by Rain »

in actual +1/-1 method personal scores affect team score. it is the opposite you said, because if your score affect your team and you get negative points, you will play for the team, because the team itself will ask you. otherwise detached scores will detach the personal game and team game.
also personal scores show only a part of the efficienty of players. indeed a player gets no point for its work of sweeper, and if it keeps the enemy away from the zone, even if it kills nobody, for enogh time as needed to attackers to win, it did the best work it could do, giving no point for that. examples are endless, unfortunately the program itself cannot fully represent the course of the game. that is the reason why there are some not written rules, like the grind, that seem to be obvious to "experienced" players, but that are not for someone who never played in fortress before. indeed, what about the grind? a good grind often means a good advantage to win the round. does it give any point to anyone? does it give negative points to who is not grinding or not that good? it cannot. so, since you cannot count in score everything it should be counted, to not to have personal scores mean to finally create a real team game.
Outside Corner Grinder

Post by 2020 »

in all team games
we can celebrate the individual...

eg in football (soccer)
we know the names of skillful goal-scorers
more often than skillful defenders...

because tron is not a ball game
there is not one single focus of attention
and play is happening simultaneously all over the grid
with perhaps two focus points -
one at each zone

i think the emphasis on the teamgame is obvious
and the score must reflect this
though i think individual score is interesting too...

as i said before...
tricky topic...
hold the line
Core Dumper

Post by newbie »

by the new chart, personal score and cosmetic change i mean something like this

Code: Select all

Player:              Alive:     Score:     Ping:     Member:
 rtv                   Yes        10
 rom                   Yes        9
 ion                   No         7 
 agd                   No         4
 steve                 Yes        0
 mirma                 Yes        0  
 voltt                 No         1  
 616                   No         0 
 simon                 No         -2
 y2k                   No         -6

Code: Select all

TEAM gold
Player:              Alive:     Score:     Kills:     Deaths:     Ping:     Member:
 rtv                   Yes        10          14        4
 agd                   No         4           9         5
 simon                 No         0           0         2
 steve                 Yes       -2           7         7
 y2k                   No        -6           2         8

TEAM blue
Player:              Alive:     Score:     Kills:     Deaths:     Ping:     Member:
 rom                   Yes        9           10        1
 ion                   No         7           9         3
 voltt                 No         1           1         0
 mirma                 Yes        0           2         2
 616                   No         0           0         0
it does the same, just looks different, however this change can be done probably only by developers

the real deal is: should the player score affect team score or not?
to not to have personal scores mean to finally create a real team game
imho we can have personal scores that do not affect team scores

that's what i am aiming for

~*PsYkO*~

Post by ~*PsYkO*~ »

You know what I've always had an idea for...

Finite Rubber

Fortress has infinite rubber, you run into a wall for 4 rubber, you can run into it again after 30 seconds for 4 rubber again, you could go on forever, or until the round is over.

What about having a finite rubber system, say set at 30? where you can grind at one time up to 30 (if u start at 0) but the rubber quantity never decreases, only increases. I know there is a setting for it. I'm about to go to a job interview so I can't explain how a lot of the strategies would change but I think ti is an interesting proposition.

Wish me luck *thumps up*
Rain
Round Winner

Post by Rain »

it is nice that we are going in developing territories, but i hope developers are reading this and give themselves a reply.

news: actually FTS is down, or better has no custom setting, no map too, as to say "nothing special". the reason is that im thinking, about feedbacks/suggestions/ideas/dreams. hope this will not take years. meantime enjoy 1 rubber old school style game. heh
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

“Finite rubber”, as you call it, is already possible. Just set CYCLE_RUBBER_TIME to something huge (3600 seconds means you'd have to play for an hour to regain your rubber), and CYCLE_RUBBER to whatever you want to give to players.

Sorting the score table by teams: That would need a clientside hack to be clean. What you can do is modify the score sent to clients so players on, say, Team blue are given 100 points more than players on Team gold, while not affecting the scores saved on the servers and used to determine team scores and the winner. I can do such a hack on FTS if you like.

Decoupling team score from personal score is doable as well, just tell me if you want it.
There's no place like ::1
New England
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by New England »

what fortress really needs is some way to credit points to the client who captured the zone. That would give a accurate picture of skill and give more incentive towards getting the zone as opposed to killing the def.
Patriots Rule!
Common Sense.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

New England wrote:what fortress really needs is some way to credit points to the client who captured the zone. That would give a accurate picture of skill and give more incentive towards getting the zone as opposed to killing the def.
That's exactly what we don't need. People who don't earn a lot of individual points but are a big part of their team wins are already undercredited and generally treated poorly. Maybe you don't earn any points by playing cat and mouse with someone for the whole round, but you blocked him from attacking your zone.

There's already enough ball-hogging, defenders already have a hard time getting people to stay back and help them in the face of a strong offense. Let's not make *that* worse.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden