Armagetron Server Status on an HP Printer

Something else for Armagetron? Goody!
numinit
On Lightcycle Grid

Armagetron Server Status on an HP Printer

Post by numinit »

My stepmom had an old HP LaserJet 4 Plus that was laying around... and it worked too. We were planning on selling it because it did not have enough RAM for anyone to print to, but that never happened after I learned about HP PJL here. So I made a decision. I'm running two Armagetron servers, and I have this old printer laying around, so why not put the two together?

Introducing the Armagetron Printer Interface. :o

What this little program does is it updates the status message on your HP printer with information about an unlimited number of servers that you specify... and just runs in a loop. CTRL+C exits. You configure the program by editing a file that it creates, config.cfg. The syntax is the exact same as the autoexec.cfg that Armagetron servers use. You can add settings to the source code in the exact same way as you do when modifying Armagetron's source; some examples are right there in the code.

There are a couple known bugs. First, the program accesses files from the current working directory instead of the same directory as the executable. You need to CD to the directory where you want to keep your config.cfg and run the program from there. Also, you need read/write access to that directory or the logs won't save. Second, you get a "Setting TOS to LOWDELAY failed" message on Mac OS X for some reason. You don't on Linux/Unix though. This program has not been tested on Windows.

Features that I will include in later builds are: Ability to fetch players.txt from remote webservers using libcURL, better file management, some display improvements, an actual version number, and a way to build it without running a hokey script :). By the way, to build it, download the unix version, CD to the active directory, and run ./build.

You can see this script running on the iD Tech Server Cam.

Enjoy! :D
armagetron-printer-interface-macos.zip
Armagetron Printer Interface r15 for Mac OS X
(787.06 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
armagetronad-printer-interface.tar.bz2
Armagetron Printer Interface build 15 for Unix
(8.55 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
!TX!Ubunturocks
Average Program

Re: Armagetron Server Status on an HP Printer

Post by !TX!Ubunturocks »

That is very impressive! I do not have any use for it because I do not run any servers. I am sure that other people will find it very handy though. This program seems to be pretty cool. wd :wink:
Linux is the future, do not fight it, go with it. If your computer is fast or slow Linux is the way to go.
ImageImageImage
numinit
On Lightcycle Grid

Re: Armagetron Server Status on an HP Printer

Post by numinit »

By the way, I have it running on an HP Color LaserJet 4 Plus. Just throwing that out there. It works on HP printers that support the PJL language. The list is in that technical manual linked in my previous post. :)