Snake add on to the game

Something else for Armagetron? Goody!
flying high up

Snake add on to the game

Post by flying high up »

Hey, armagetron has a good snake like engine dont you think? all we need to do now is make a level or stage that makes another zone randomly appear after the previous one is caught.

Or we could make a score keeping add on

if we already have 2/3 of the engine for this, why dont we finish it? and make a "snake" local game setting? Fun, somewhat in the middle for programming difficulty and might as well because we are already 66% finished in programming it. :D
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Re: Snake add on to the game

Post by Tank Program »

I really like this idea. With a bit of scripting and zones v2 it should be possible. As soon as those bits are completed.
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

With sty+ct branch using target zones and a simple script would allow you to make a simple one player snake game. It has been on my todo list for quite some time.
Trouble is with multiplayer snake one of the best features (for me) is different players with different tail lengths. ie player_1 gobbles a zone, his tail gets longer, others do not. Part of the challenge is to build the longest tail while keeping all others short, but the longer your tail the more difficult for you collect more food.
XzL.Smart
Round Winner

Post by XzL.Smart »

Maybe get slowed down a little bit every time you get a longer tail?
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

What about reverse logic? If you don't eat anything your tail gets shorter... Too short and you die. Extra points for core dumping?
Infa(mous)
Round Winner

Post by Infa(mous) »

Extending Tank's idea.... Could you to engulf the entire arena in a HUGE rubber-take-away zone, and have the food things be rubber-refill?
-Infamous
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

Tank Program wrote:What about reverse logic? If you don't eat anything your tail gets shorter... Too short and you die. Extra points for core dumping?
Could make for an interesting game. But you still have the same problem as me - currently everyone on the grid has the same length tail. Except when using CYCLE_RUBBER_WALL_SHRINK. hmmmm... you may be onto something there....

Code: Select all

WALLS_LENGTH 200
CYCLE_RUBBER_WALL_SHRINK 1
CYCLE_RUBBER 200
CYCLE_RUBBER_TIME 0 #<--is that right to stop rubber being refilled by arma
All we need then is a command the script can use like...

Code: Select all

EFFECT_PLAYER_RUBBER <player> <int>
So rubber can be reduced over time and awarded to snakes that eat food/core dump.
It will also punish you for using rubber, making it even more of a snake/arma hybrid.
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

I've just realized not having any rubber will make sealing difficult, and if the person trapped has any rubber left they get out, as well as having their tail shrink which would make it easier to camp. What if once your wall ran out you went into negative rubber? Get even close to a wall and you die.
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

I've put a server up with no additional hacking necessary.
It seems there's a rubber zone in sty+ct ( hi hoop :) ) that will drain your rubber reserves whilst you're inside it or replenish it depending upon the value used.

I first tried CYCLE_RUBBER_TIME 0 but this just stops you from using any rubber thus making you invincible.
So tried hacking the server to allow negitive values to be used with this setting. That worked for the server, but not the client which had no idea his rubber was nearly full nor his tail short so was able to drive straight through his own tail and some other cycles tails if they were high on rubber too. Interesting but useless.
I settled on CYCLE_RUBBER_TIME 10000000 so as your rubber meter goes up it naturally will not go down.

To increase everyones rubber over time there's a massive rubber zone that fills the hole arena slowly adding to everyones rubber. As their rubber increases their tails get shorter. When their rubber is full, they have no tail and they die.
In order to stop this happening, opposite value rubber zones are spawned every 8 seconds. Occupy one of these zones to decrease your rubber meter and lengthen your tail. Each new zone is spawned 50 metres up/down and 50 metres across from the last.
Last Man Standing ftw!

It doesn't really feel like snake to me :?
It feels hacky but it's smooth enough to be playable. It's fun for a while, and I'm sure there's more potential there.
Any comments, ideas, etc welcome.

Oh, the server is called "Snakes - Eat Food or Die!"
onearmbandit
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by onearmbandit »

Was there today and it seems the arena is to big to keep up a good fight.
Therefore the zones for decrease rubber where to far apart to keep the game going.
You had to run from the first zone to the next to not die.
Even so, the zone could be a little bigger so there can be some fighting before you have to go to the next zone.

:) i do like the idea

ps.
A smaller DB would make it better to stay in that zone(or zone bigger)

nice work 'big smile'
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

i think the speed should be a bit faster, and as for the zones there should be more, random, closer and smaller.

I also think the zones should go away quicker, presuming their are more of them