Some wall issues

Designed a level that creates new, exciting, and challenging Armagetron game play? Or maybe just something funky. Put it right here.
Wik
Average Program

Some wall issues

Post by Wik »

G'morning, folks.

I found that Arma tends to cripple columns when they're stacked into each other. It always occurs from the 11th one (counting from the outside), getting worse quickly with more columns, and only when the outer walls come first in the code. Is this a known behaviour or can anyone verify this?

Also, when a height is specified and high_rim is zero, are walls supposed to be cut off at height 100?
Attachments
A large ruin...
A large ruin...
...and a smaller one
...and a smaller one
z-0.aamap.rar
The source code
(688 Bytes) Downloaded 301 times
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Some wall issues

Post by Clutch »

second one looks cool.

(sorry thats all I got)
Boxed
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Well, it's expected that it'll break down at some point; I'll try to have a look at whether it can be pushed back a little. But you shouldn't do what you're doing anyway, it's a colossal waste of fillrate.

And yeah, height=0 gives the walls a default height.
Wik
Average Program

Post by Wik »

Nah, not height=0. walls above the limit 100 are clipped regardless of the attribute value, if the rim is set to low. Actually like

height>100 && high_rim==0 ? height=100 : height=height

And no breaking down when construction starts in the center, see the pic below.
Not a biggy, I was just curious if someone noticed this before.
Attachments
Eiffel tower 1:1
Eiffel tower 1:1
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

I'd say the issue is that the structure is too regular. New wall end points are constantly made right on top of connections between two existing end points (the diagonals of the squares). Slight distortions should be enough to make this work a lot better.
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

Sorry for not being able to help, but that tower looks just F***ING AWESOME in Armagetron :)
Z-Man wrote:But you shouldn't do what you're doing anyway, it's a colossal waste of fillrate.
No, it's art ;)
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Z-Man wrote:But I shouldn't have made you so desperate that you would do this anyway. I'll go and implement proper 3D models now.
Fixed. :P
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

vov wrote:it's art ;)
I'm very, very impressed. I've wanted to do something just like this for a long time, but never got around to it (you can see how I hint at this idea in the AoT servers). I'm jealous you beat me to it, haha.
Wik
Average Program

Post by Wik »

Merci, guys. And you are exaggerating, sine :) Yes, your servers really inspire me a lot.
(Can anyone provide me a detailed isohypses map of the alps? Don't ask why.)

@Z-Man: Thanks, only... why does it work when stacked from the inside out? *confused* Well, not so important as long as there's a workaround.

Talking 'bout modelling, may I kindly ask the developers to consider these implementations:

<Wall height="x" bottom="y">

to make a wall start in the height y, ending at height x. Similar to zone_bottom, but for each wall segment.
(Alternative: <Hole/> as a child element of <Wall> with the attributes width, height and bottom)
Directly related would be something like

<Ceiling height="z">
<Corner x="x1" y="y1"/>
<Corner x="x2" y="y2"/>
</Ceiling>

for a rectangular ceiling (x1,y1 - x2,y2) in the height z (without collision detection of course). Actually, my little one would ask for this, he wants a tunnel.
And maybe some sort of

<Zone height="y">

to assign each zone an individual height, overriding zone_height.

Pretty please?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

It's because the grid engine was never tested with regular patterns. It was designed for semi-random cycle walls. The better algorithms I have planned won't have these problems.
Wik wrote:Pretty please?
As Jonathan says, proper model decoration support would be a much better idea for things not relevant to gameplay. Don't get me wrong, it's cool what you're doing, but from an artistic standpoint, you're painting with shit and your bare hands on cave walls, and you're asking for more colors in your shit. Wouldn't you rather have a brush and a canvas and colors that don't smell? :)
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

hahahaha, wow Z, that was unexpected. Still laughing as I type.
Wik
Average Program

Post by Wik »

I take this as a "No".