Is this maybe dz overkill?

Designed a level that creates new, exciting, and challenging Armagetron game play? Or maybe just something funky. Put it right here.
Cosmic Dolphin
Round Winner

Is this maybe dz overkill?

Post by Cosmic Dolphin »

I have no idea how many DZs I made this map out of myself. Possible record for most DZs, or where one can see the real record?

Oh, the viewer did goof it up a tad bit. That giant winzone is surrounded by a DZ...
Attachments
abmap-1.0.1.png
" Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
-Plato
Ok, but why did I add this signature? I was like 15 and thought I was smart? What a brat.
Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Is this maybe dz overkill?

Post by Desolate »

That looks really fun. I assume there is a small gap somewhere in that blocked off part towards the bottom?
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

My only complaint: If you were to implement this map into a server, you should probably refrain from 4axes. Right now, the players would either go up the middle or have to do a very annoying zigzag to get around the outer sides of the spawn. Just consider that ;)
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
Cosmic Dolphin
Round Winner

Post by Cosmic Dolphin »

Er....that whole blocked off area on the bottom does not have DZs, just spawns... And the middle paths DO have many DZs that make it nearly impossible, which is why you might got the long way around.

And yes, it is clearly made to be an 8 axis map. I have been a part of the new skool style of racing since it's beginning, meaning I believe the bast race maps are 8 axis.
" Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
-Plato
Ok, but why did I add this signature? I was like 15 and thought I was smart? What a brat.
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by INW »

Cosmic Dolphin wrote:...the bast race maps are 8 axis.
100% agreed. Most if not all the maps I made for Tronners racing were 8 axes.

Like Spiral Ham and Small Spaces :D
Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Desolate »

I've never heard of those maps, lol.
INW

Post by INW »

Probably because they weren't put in DD Racing but were put in Animuson's original racing server a few months after he opened it up.

I am sure Cosmic Dolphin remembers it ;)

I think Eric had the record on those 2 like he did almost every other map with VoV...
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I don't understand. Why not just make the map using regular walls, then set the rubber to "instant death"?
Tobe
Round Winner

Post by Tobe »

Its likely to be that deathzones are more eye-pleasing than walls are and it feels more intuitive to dodge spinning red zones than stand still walls.
<-- Proud co-leader of Rogue Tronners
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Tobe wrote:...it feels more intuitive to dodge spinning red zones than stand still walls.
If that's the case, you've been playing in the wrong servers. Probably ones with high rubber.
Tobe
Round Winner

Post by Tobe »

Even with 0 rubber, walls seem safer to me. I would go into a small tunnel, formed with walls, when I have 0 rubber; but, I would probably avoid that if it were a small tunnel made of DZs.
<-- Proud co-leader of Rogue Tronners
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I guess this is the sort of stuff that makes me lean along with Phytotron's anti-zone slant.
Concord

Post by Concord »

I can imagine it being harder to line up correctly with DZ's since they are circular. The same effect could be achieved with walls, but it would require many many walls and at the cost of fps. But zones effect that too, I'm out of orbit here.
Discosuperstar
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Discosuperstar »

We all realize that zones consists of an extra 20ish triangles that need to be alpha blended right, as opposed to a single wall segment that uses 2, with no alpha blending? I have to agree with sine here, it just adds visual complexity and makes it unplayable on lower end machines for no real good reason. In general useless zones are a bit of an arma peeve of mine for that reason :(