Destroy The MCP (1-3 Players)

Designed a level that creates new, exciting, and challenging Armagetron game play? Or maybe just something funky. Put it right here.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Destroy The MCP (1-3 Players)

Post by sinewav »

This started out as a single-player game but it works very well as multi-player too (up to 3 players, then it breaks down due to zone limitations).

The object of the game is to get your cycle into the zone at center of the grid, through a small gap in the wall. Be careful, this area is filled with shrinking death-zones, which are later replaced with a win-zone. Note: the win-zone is just for visual effect and is not needed to win.

It's simple, challenging, and surprisingly addictive. This game was the result of several ideas I had that all came out at once. Part of the inspiration comes from luke-jr's "MCP Attack", a fun and very underplayed game. I'll be running a "Destroy The MCP" server for a while if you want to check it out (Adventures of TRON).

Included in the archive is settings.cfg, the required map, and a bonus wall texture (also, inside settings.cfg is my recommended zone settings for newer clients).
Attachments
destroyMCP1.jpg
wall texture shown in luke-jr's "MCP Attack"
wall texture shown in luke-jr's "MCP Attack"
destroy-mcp.zip
(91.05 KiB) Downloaded 369 times
Xiayu

Re: Destroy The MCP (1-3 Players)

Post by Xiayu »

Looks pretty cool, I'll try it out!
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Finally got around to fixing a problem with this game. With the old map, there was a way to win the round almost instantly. That's gone now, and I tweaked the settings slightly to make the game easier. Files attached for local play and archival purposes.
Attachments
destroy-mcp-0.1.0.zip
(2.1 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
Round instead of square, more openings.
Round instead of square, more openings.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Word....what?

I think I liked the square 'MCP' better. It was reminiscent of the grid bug level in the arcade game. Is that what you changed to fix the instant wins?

Then again, the movie MCP and its surrounding structure was more cylindrical, so maybe the shaping is more 'authentic' now.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Phytotron wrote:I think I liked the square 'MCP' better. It was reminiscent of the grid bug level in the arcade game. Is that what you changed to fix the instant wins?

Then again, the movie MCP and its surrounding structure was more cylindrical, so maybe the shaping is more 'authentic' now.
Yes to both of those. The square center allowed a talented tronner to capture the zone and zip around the edges to avoid deathzones. The square shape made the AI perform better, and the classic arcade look is good too, but I think overall this might be better for gameplay. We will see.
Word

Post by Word »

Phytotron wrote:Word....what?
Wanted to visualize my enthusiasm (used the image from here). Still didn't play there though. :(
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Word wrote:Still didn't play there though. :(
The server has been up almost 2 years. What is stopping you?
Word

Post by Word »

Oh, I just meant the latest version. I ran though the whole city today to pick up a letter with a travel coupon and then went to the other end where my favourite restaurant used to be, then saw they shut down, and came back. Now I still need to get food. :pacman:
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

UPDATE: Fixed a problem with spawn points I kept overlooking, new CFG and AAMAP attached.
Attachments
destroy-mcp-0.1.1.zip
(2.17 KiB) Downloaded 277 times