My Gawd made yet ANOTHER big map

Designed a level that creates new, exciting, and challenging Armagetron game play? Or maybe just something funky. Put it right here.
Dehato
Average Program

My Gawd made yet ANOTHER big map

Post by Dehato »

Well i made another map in armabell since this dude asked me if i was gunna make any maps soon lol Well w/e here it is another Biggy yayy to bad im not gunna have fun with it cuz i cant get the dang map fileeeeee
lol i cheated on this pic btw i screenshotted armabell instead of previewing it MWUHAHAHA
Attachments
Mount_Pale.jpg
Mount_Pale.xml
(15.5 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
ImageImage
I dont like having a wall in my face
Grid Name: SayChez
TronLight Cycle FTW!!!
pie goes moo
Round Winner

Re: My Gawd made yet ANOTHER big map

Post by pie goes moo »

OMG, you gotta save it as Mount_Pale.aamap.xml
Dehato
Average Program

Post by Dehato »

I used print screen LOL thats not the prwviewwwww
ImageImage
TronLight Cycle FTW!!!
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I have a suggestion... It might be a good idea to reuse some of your threads. Rather than opening a new "OMG LOOK!" topic every time you do something, it would be more efficient to keep similar items together.

Remember, this forum is an information resource. Thousands of people will search it over the years. Keep the titles and content clear and concise, as a courtesy to future visitors. Thanks.

Also, interesting map. You should see if someone will add these to their existing racing server (not mine though, sorry. I consider mine an art project of sorts).
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

sinewav wrote: Also, interesting map. You should see if someone will add these to their existing racing server (not mine though, sorry. I consider mine an art project of sorts).
The quality of the maps and settings shows, sine. Although I am not good at all at racing, I do play it for the fun of it. I consider your server to be elegant, in the engineering use of the word. Let me explain. To an engineer, an elegant solution to an engineering problem is the simplest, most cost effective and reliable solution. While there are certainly racing servers with more maps, and fancier maps, none other seems nearly as elegant as yours, sine. The maps are playable, without being nearly impossible for anybody but the most practiced racer. And the settings just feel "right". I think sine has made several very valid points about racers giving up, when maps are too complicated.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

sinewav wrote:I have a suggestion... It might be a good idea to reuse some of your threads. Rather than opening a new "OMG LOOK!" topic every time you do something, it would be more efficient to keep similar items together.
Yeah, and please, please, try to make a post every once in a while that doesn't contain 'LOL'. It makes you look like a moron.
theroze
Match Winner

Post by theroze »

compguygene wrote:
sinewav wrote: Also, interesting map. You should see if someone will add these to their existing racing server (not mine though, sorry. I consider mine an art project of sorts).
The quality of the maps and settings shows, sine. Although I am not good at all at racing, I do play it for the fun of it. I consider your server to be elegant, in the engineering use of the word. Let me explain. To an engineer, an elegant solution to an engineering problem is the simplest, most cost effective and reliable solution. While there are certainly racing servers with more maps, and fancier maps, none other seems nearly as elegant as yours, sine. The maps are playable, without being nearly impossible for anybody but the most practiced racer. And the settings just feel "right". I think sine has made several very valid points about racers giving up, when maps are too complicated.
But for some racers, if they are too complicated, they want to get to the winzone. But at a Public Server, i think it wont be good to use this map, its too long, ok, its a good map, and it would be fun to play it once, twice, but i think after 462 dies EVERYONE will destroy his pc/keyboard and quit arma. So please, in the future, make some smaller maps. Then host your server with a few maps, with map_rotation.

And sine already said it, please, make some maps , and open only one topic, and post something like, if there are no more new maps anymore:"Ow, no new maps anymore, im going to make some more, i will post them in a few days." The whole forum dont like spam. Same at general things like:"Wow, OMG, my dick is taller now!" And not only at that forum, at every forum.
apparition wrote:You being able to kill so many players that quickly and efficiently is evidence that the community skill level must be dropping... Sad :/
Reigning champion of: Sir-spam-a-lot 2011
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

Large maps with 90% or more of the walls grinddable with the axes is what i look for in racing, \a \a \a Sinewav you win.
Cosmic Dolphin
Round Winner

Post by Cosmic Dolphin »

That is a very good long map; I could see it on any racing server :D

Having some DZs in annoying places to scare the life out of everyone the first time they play it might help too...But it's already saved on Armabell, aint it? I guess too late.
" Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
-Plato
Ok, but why did I add this signature? I was like 15 and thought I was smart? What a brat.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

kyle wrote:Large maps with 90% or more of the walls grinddable with the axes is what i look for in racing, \a \a \a Sinewav you win.
Yeah, this is a big problem with new-skool racing. I purposefully allowed some off-axes walls in AoT, but for the most part, it all lines up.
Cosmic Dolphin
Round Winner

Post by Cosmic Dolphin »

sinewav wrote:
kyle wrote:Large maps with 90% or more of the walls grinddable with the axes is what i look for in racing, \a \a \a Sinewav you win.
Yeah, this is a big problem with new-skool racing. I purposefully allowed some off-axes walls in AoT, but for the most part, it all lines up.
I actually put the non-grinding walls under new-new skool racing, cause it did not take off to it becoming a standard until Tronners/ID Tech. I have never liked it...stupid D3ad map made it okay to have for servers...DD Racing's biggest mistake.
" Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
-Plato
Ok, but why did I add this signature? I was like 15 and thought I was smart? What a brat.
Dehato
Average Program

Post by Dehato »

Ok. the my gawd part is my way to say that im frustrated with myself that i made another map but cant play it. This topic here is the one im gunna use when i feel like posting a map i already made 2 other ones >.>
I dont give a crap if someone uses my maps for their server thats actually what i want so i can play it cuz im like bout to give up on making it myself (Go ahead sine :D) And for the lol thing i can be a moron if a want :>
This place here i felt like postin cuz i wanted to and btw.... Doesnt the thread say Have you created a killer map or something special?or just something funky post it here. :D
Btw link for blender download cuz i keep finding pages about actual blenders! i dont want one i already have my mom making chichas one is good enough XD
ImageImage
TronLight Cycle FTW!!!
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Well, no server admin is going to use your map if it is non-working. I am tinkering with a racing server that I am not putting on the master list at this time, since it is very experimental, and mostly not working. I might consider using your maps, but not if you won't make the effort to finish them. I doubt if any other server admin will feel much different.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Dehato wrote:Ok. the my gawd part is my way to say that im frustrated with myself that i made another map but cant play it.
Well here's the problem: How do you know your map is any good if you've never tested it? You might drive around it and realize it sucks, or maybe just part of it sucks. For any game (or map) to be successful, it needs a lot of thought and testing, revisions, more testing, and more revisions.

The AoT maps were essentially drawn from "inside" the environment. I didn't draw the whole thing at once then race it. I drew it a few hundred meters at a time, went in to see what I did, and how it "felt", then made changes. Each on of them took me 40-60 hours to complete.

I'm not saying this is what you should do, but since it's obvious you are inspired by my work I thought you could appreciate the design process.

And maybe a good start for you is to make a small map, with 4 walls, and try and get it to work locally. Keep reading the wiki over and over until it makes sense. Once you learn how to get these map working on your machine, then I imagine you will do some amazing things bro.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Your map works fine... with slight changes.

First, you want to avoid an odd number of axes, especially if none of the walls line up with those degrees. For instance, if you choose 8 axes, make sure the angles of your walls are are divisible by 45 degrees. I changed your axes to "16" so I could play it. And, I was able to play it because I edited your resource tag (I made category "racing" instead of "race" to keep it next to your other map). Second, your filename was wrong. Close, but not there yet.

I imagine the the reason you can't play locally is the same reason your file is named wrong - you don't understand the Resource tag. I made the most visual explainer that I can think of. The Resource tag says something very specific about the name of the XML file and where is should be located.

Code: Select all

<Resource type="aamap" name="Mount_Pale" version="1.0.1" author="Dehato" category="racing">
 <Map version="0.2.8">
  <World>
   <Field>
   <Axes number="16"/>
You need to know where your Arma resources are. Read the following page to find out: http://wiki.armagetronad.net/index.php? ... aying_Maps After that, my visual explainer should make more sense. If you are on Windows, you may have to enable "show hidden files". If you still can't find it, do a search for the name of one of my maps, and you should find it no problem.

;) I hope this helps, because there is absolutely nothing more I can offer you.
Attachments
RecourseTagExplained.png
RecourseTagExplained.png (10.87 KiB) Viewed 5138 times
Mount_Pale.png