I made my map with Armabell. How do i fregging play it!!

Designed a level that creates new, exciting, and challenging Armagetron game play? Or maybe just something funky. Put it right here.
Clu42
On Lightcycle Grid

Re: I made my map with Armabell. How do i fregging play it!!

Post by Clu42 »

ed wrote:If you're familiar with Crazy Tronners Wild Fortress you can view all its maps here.
I got the map code but how do i use it. I read the Playing Maps on the wiki but i was REALLY confused. Help?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Clu42 wrote:I got the map code but how do i use it. I read the Playing Maps on the wiki but i was REALLY confused. Help?
Unfortunately the only advice I can give you is read the wiki again and again until you understand it. The hardest part for new people is learning the relationship between the resource tag and where to put the XML file.

After you get the map in the right place, you can simply load it into the game through the console with "MAP_FILE path/filename.xml" (replacing the path and filename with the actual path and filename.

Try again, but before you do, take a look around the folders belonging to armagetron to get familiar with the different types of files and where they belong. If you still need help after than, please ask very specific questions so we can try to answer them.
Clu42
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Clu42 »

2 questions regarding the diagram (which i love and almost helps me completely). What version do i use, and what type do i use. THX sine
EDIT: Not sure if it matters but Armagetron is installed on my Pen-drive/USB
I have no folder named Automatic, do i create it?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Type and version is whatever the is shown in the resource tag of the map you want to play. Here, look over this tag and see if you see the connection.

Code: Select all

<Resource name="Castle" type="aamap" version="1.1" author="philippeqc" category="examples"></Resource>
This map goes in a folder named "philippeqc"
In a sub-folder named "examples"
And the file name is "Castle-1.1.aamap.xml"

Unfortunately, I don't know about running Arma off a USB drive so I can't tell you the folder structure there. Hopefully someone will be along to help soon.
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

Clu42 wrote:2 questions regarding the diagram (which i love and almost helps me completely). What version do i use, and what type do i use. THX sine
EDIT: Not sure if it matters but Armagetron is installed on my Pen-drive/USB
I have no folder named Automatic, do i create it?
Use the "included" folder then. For me it's like Armagetron/resource/included
If you can't find that either, search for the file "square-1.0.1.aamap.xml", the standard map, and look at its path. It has to be somewhere ;)
Clu42
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Clu42 »

I have the path file "ed\wildfort\nano_hex_killer-0.2.2.aamap.xml" Where do i put it? :o
Here is the resource tag " <Resource type="aamap" name="nano_hex_killer" version="0.0.2" author="ed" category="wildfort">
<Map version="2.8.0"> "
Clu42
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Clu42 »

How do i make it an xml file. Changing the name didnt do anything. I such a noob
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Clu42 wrote:How do i make it an xml file. Changing the name didnt do anything. I such a noob
You can't change the name without changing the appropriate information in the resource tag and placing the file in it's new directory (also dictated by the tag).

I'm sorry, but you're pretty much on your own at this point. You'll just have to figure it out yourself. These is no simpler explanation available. Good luck.