moviesound can't be found

Made a pack that makes Armagetron sound like a rock concert? Hook us up!
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

moviesound can't be found

Post by Phytotron »

Can someone explain to me why this is an invalid sound file? I created it using Audacity. When I started up the game and tried to turn, it gave me a message about the file cycturn.wav not being found, asked me if it was called from the correct directory (yes), and then crashed. I suspect it has something to do with the type of wav that it is, but since there's no documentation I've no way of knowing what the proper format should be.
Attachments
cycturn.wav.zip
Delete the .zip extension.
(34.02 KiB) Downloaded 651 times
Last edited by Phytotron on Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

can you rename it to a zip instead? My browser won't download it, it thinks it's a gif.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

It uses floating point samples (according to QuickTime, which doesn't make it sound like garbage (suggesting it is right)), or 'compression' format 3. Probably not widely supported, as I couldn't find anything about it on the web.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Yes, the WAV format is "Microsoft 32-bit float." I think it was default; don't remember. So, what's the preferred WAV encoding format? There are about a dozen offered in Audacity. (I don't normally mess with this thing. I'm an analog kind of guy :))

Done, Lucifer.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Here's a 16-bit version of it.

SDL supports a lot of formats, but 32-bit float isn't one of them. I couldn't find a definitive list of supported formats, sorry. :( It's determined by SDL in the stable branch, SDL_mixer in the trunk. I'll make a definitive list for the trunk at some point, but other than "whatever SDL supports" is the best I can do for the stable branch.
Attachments
cycturn.wav.zip
(17.01 KiB) Downloaded 624 times

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Fixed point/integer, probably 16-bit.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

OK, I opened my own in Audacity and saved it as 16-bit PCM. That did it. Doesn't sound too bad, either, along with GLTron's engine sound. :)

Would it make sense, you think (and if possible), to have the pitch of cycturn vary with cycle speed?