This is me trying to understand

Made a pack that makes Armagetron sound like a rock concert? Hook us up!
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Lucifer wrote:Make the samples 44.1khz..
Mono, right? Will there be support for stereo sound effects in 0.3?
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Why would you want a stereo sound effect that's already being mixed based on its 3d position in the game world? The left side vs the ride side of the cycle that's only on my left...? I'm not sure here, but mono seems fine to me.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Er, I answered this in irc, but I'll answer here in case you missed it. :)

You should have single-channel sounds. The sounds will be processed according to location (i.e. direction and distance from the listener) and hopefully with some doppler shifting (which is in the OpenAL api).

Music should be at least stereo, but 5.1 surround music should also be acceptable, if you want to go through all that effort. Before you embark on such an effort, consider that if it is easiest, I will compress music to two channels (or split it into two channels if it's only one channel).

All sounds should be 44.1khz, although I reserve the right to resample them to 22.05khz for the purpose of saving space. Anything above 44.1khz will probably be resampled to 44.1khz before going into the repository. Please stick to 16 bit sounds. I may elect to convert them to 32 bit float for processing, but that's my problem, not yours. :)

Finally, it's best if you give them to me as uncompressed .wav files. I don't intend to deal with flac right away. Instead, I'll create a bazaar repository specifically for holding the uncompressed sources and do the encoding myself to ogg vorbis for the main code repository.

I may go ahead and create the bazaar repository sometime and just give you access to it. Depends on when I find time, because this weekend I've got my kids. ;)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

Are you planning on announcer sounds?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

epsy wrote:Are you planning on announcer sounds?
Maybe. I haven't decided yet. Ideally, I would like to have both spoken sounds and non-spoken equivalents. We'll see how far I get.

Sorry I didn't remember reading that the files should be mono.
onearmbandit
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by onearmbandit »

Lucifer, you should grow a beard.
/me thinks it would like good on you. 'smile'

just a observation, no spamm intended. huhu
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Lucifer wrote:OK, here's a list of sounds I'd like to have.
Since I'm working on sounds right now, I'd like to know how this list has changed, if at all. I know that 0.3 currently has the following additions:

1voicemale
2voicemale
3voicemale
announcerGO
grind
(and zone spawn which is mentioned)

It seems like the sounds "Enter the game" and "Leave the game" could easily conflict with the round/match sounds. The time between "Enter the game" and "Start Match" can be really small at times (like a local game). I know this isn't something I should worry about, but as I am considering sounds, I am also considering "time and size".
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

List hasn't changed.

But if you have ideas for sounds you'd like added, please be sure to mention them. :)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I made some sounds. It was fun. Maybe I'll do more later using a different approach.

5.6MB arma03sounds.zip

Some can be used as "moviesounds" for a moviepack.