This is me trying to understand

Made a pack that makes Armagetron sound like a rock concert? Hook us up!
KamP
Round Winner

This is me trying to understand

Post by KamP »

So here's what i get so far

engine.wav = is the sound the cycle makes as it moves, speeds up when it goes fast, and slows down as it gets slower.

cycturn.wav = the sound it makes when the cycle turns

extro.wav = ?

intro.wav = music for when it says "Ready?" and what not before a match/round (?)

dietron.wav = sound for dying... in tron :)

cyclrun.wav = ?

expl.wav = another name for dying? only goes in the sound directory?

are there size limitations?
is there a way to slow down how much the engine sound speeds up?
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

moviepack sounds
intro.wav: played once when you enter the server
extro.wav: played once when you exit the server
engine.wav: bike engine
dietron.wav: bike explosion
cycturn.wav: bike turn

standard sounds
cyclerun.wav: bike engine
expl.wav: bike explosion
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Maybe I missed it, or forgot, but what are you planning exactly? Are you just wanting to make your own sounds, or do you want to make sounds that you hope to contribute?

I ask because if you want to make sounds, I can provide you a list of sounds I know we're going to need.... ;)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
KamP
Round Winner

Post by KamP »

and once you have a moviesounds folder, will it still play standard sounds?
And i wouldn't mind making sounds if you need them, but for now i'm just trying to understand making my own moviesounds
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

OK, here's a list of sounds I'd like to have. I don't know that the default installation will have all of them, but I'd like to build slots to make them available, and in the meantime I'll at least need sounds to test with.

Brakes
Accelerator
Enter the game
Leave the game (both will be played when joining a server and also when entering a local game)
Begin of round
End of round
Begin of match (supersedes round start)
End of match
Man death sound (to go with an explosion, should have these options:
* Suicide
* Killed
* Team killed
...since those options are alread in the code)
Wall drop (nothing complex, for now...)
Sound when a new player joins (for players already there)
Zone spawn (I have one already)
Zone collapse
Player kicked
10 minute warning
5 minute warning
2 minute warning
1 minute warning
30 second warning
10 second warning
You have been kicked
You have been banned (please keep these two clean :) )

That's all I'm coming up with right now. Most of them are pushbutton effects and will be played exactly as they are. Only some will be modified based on conditions.

Anything we already have will be kept, of course. And you have to promise not to take it personally if we decide not to include any given sound in the default installation, and/or if someone comes along with a different one that we decide to keep. I'd like all voice sounds to be the same voice, so if you can even think of anything else an announcer might say and you've recorded some announcer sounds, send 'em in. If we decide to include them, it'll be nice if they're all the same voice. :)

An alternative fix for the voice issue is to heavily process the voice and give your notes on what you did to it. Then we might be able to use any voice if we can process it to sound the same. But it still has to sound good. And don't worry about your voice, I thought it was a good announcer voice when I heard you on Teamspeak. I'd take Joe's voice too, and voltsubito (if he showed up to give up more). If you want to throw simple effects on there like reverb or whatever, try to send a non-processed version as well. I'm really liking the idea of including LADSPA plugins and processing the samples when we load them, you know, to give third parties more options with their sound skins.

- Iron Maiden
KamP
Round Winner

Post by KamP »

I'd rather just turn in non-processed, but all the same, you're going to have to help me learn how to record
I probably need a new mic, a real mic, either way, but is there a way to get rid of the buzz in the background?

EDIT: Never mind, i found Noise Removal in Audacity, Still any other specifications of what you'd want and advice in general is nice.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Some of the buzz is inevitable, you'd need a really expensive system to get rid of it. The way I deal with it in my music is I just live with it. :) I record at the highest possible gain for each track, drowning it out in each track. You can't hear it at all in the final mix.

Um, for making sound effects. You can do abstract sounds if you'd like. There's nothing saying that anything has to be a voice for an announcer. I've considered making 3..2..1 with metal hits (guitar+bass+drum, like an orchestra hit).

Good sound effects come in odd places. You play violin, right? Try using your violin to make noises. I could use a pick slide on my guitar for a grind noise, for example. Try tapping the body and recording that with various mic positions.

After you've gotten a basic sound, you can try postprocessing to turn it into something else. I once took a bass drum and turned it into a booming machine gun. Very nice (but very large, it got rejected :( ). I also took a cymbal crash and turned it into an explosion. Not very nice. :(

Try mixing several sounds together, like in audacity. I probably could take a bass drum and a cymbal crash, process each one as separate tracks, and turn it into a very satisfying explosion.

Make the samples 44.1khz.. The game will more than likely usually be played at 22.05khz, but SDL_mixer handles the resampling for us. So make them 44.1khz to give us the best possible fidelity for people whose systems can handle it. (I know, 44.1khz is only cd-quality yadayada, most consumer sound cards have it as a maximum, or they might go to 48khz. After you mix 3-4 sounds together, there's no noticeable difference)

- Iron Maiden
gnorty
Core Dumper

Post by gnorty »

I am having trouble finding the correct location for custom sunds under linux, I have tried serveral possibilities but nothing seems to get it right. where should I put the sounds under linux?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

By default:

/usr/local/share/games/armagetrond/sound

- Iron Maiden
SuPeRTaRD
Round Winner

Post by SuPeRTaRD »

the 3,2,1 sound is almost inaudible to me unless i have my speakers cranked up REALLY loud..

mebbe this could be fixed b4 final.. just slightly louder or soemthing?
ŠüþéRTàRÐ
aeralure
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by aeralure »

Bit new here (hi), but wondering outside of the file names listed in the post above for Moviesounds sound files, what are the names of the currently implemented (0.2.8.2) sound files in the code that arent listed there (brakes, death by suicide, etc)? Thought maybe I would tinker some.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

There's only two that ship with the game, iirc. The cycle engine and the explosion. The rest (what there are) are one or both of these processed in the code. :(

There's supposed to be a moviesounds directory available at the same level as the moviepack directory, but I don't know what filenames are available in there, to be honest.

In linux, well, it's in a post higher up. Not sure for other platforms.

- Iron Maiden
aeralure
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by aeralure »

No worries. I'll use my limited skills to tinker around. :lol: Thanks much.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Ok. :) Umm, referring to that list, most of it is still, ummm, not supplied. If you take my meaning... ;)

- Iron Maiden
aeralure
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by aeralure »

Hehe. Indeed. :wink: