0.4 Content: Sound Dump

Made a pack that makes Armagetron sound like a rock concert? Hook us up!
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

0.4 Content: Sound Dump

Post by Z-Man »

Share single sounds or incomplete sound or music packs you want to suggest for inclusion into a 0.4 pack submission below.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: 0.4 Content: Sound Dump

Post by sinewav »

Here are my favorite Arma sounds I've made over the years.
Attachments
sound.zip
(456.25 KiB) Downloaded 324 times
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I was playing around with some old synth software and made some replacement sounds for the 0.4 branch. In addition to all the other sound problems in the Trunk, it looks like Hi-Res sounds are broken. That's Ok, I can't because hear those frequencies anymore. I made these at 22050Hz and they are nice and crisp. Included:

1voicemale.ogg
2voicemale.ogg
3voicemale.ogg
announcerGO.ogg
cycle_turn.ogg
expl.ogg

The first three sounds are the same. I like my explosion.
Attachments
0.4-sounds-0.1.zip
(38.95 KiB) Downloaded 338 times
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

The 1 2 3 and go definitely seem nicer, the turn still annoys me but on comparison to my 2.8 client version to 4.0 I think the reason for that is it's louder, if that makes any sense, I suppose just deleting the turn file could fix that. Edit: Deleted turn file, feels nice to be able to play tron with sound for the first time in 3 years
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

bye
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Magi wrote:... I think the reason for that is it's louder, if that makes any sense...
It does make sense and it is because the cycle engine is much quieter. This is one of the problems in 0.4. Sound is a complete mess and needs to be reworked from scratch.

I've attached a quieter version of cycle_turn.ogg, for temporary use of course because I'm sure the sound issues will be resolved soon, right? I mean, this thread is only 4 years old, heh.
Attachments

[The extension ogg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

It's my intention to remove the 1,2,3,Go! stuff because the timing is always wrong. I'll hear "One.....Tw-Th-Whistle!", then "On-Two......." and that round starts. If it can't be reasonably precise, it's really not worth having. (I'll leave the option in code, just won't have it enabled by default)

For a complete sound reworking, we're looking at a fine project, but I wouldn't object to diving into an OpenAL implementation. It's just, the biggest problem I see (besides the added soundfile reading library/dependencies) is making it play music. Now, on the one hand, it's just a matter of simply streaming the music to a few channels, something I've done in several languages, not surprisingly Python included. That's not the issue.

The issue is: Since OpenAL is all about 3d sounds, and the music player is supposed to be immersive, like your car radio (when you're not listening to actual radio stations), how the hell am I supposed to work it into the mix?

See, I'd have already tried for an OpenAL backend, but people were complaining about the cycle noise being gone at the time. What if I brought it back only to take away music for awhile?

Long term, OpenAL is the way to go, no ifs, ands, or buts, about it. But getting it in in a more short-term fashion is a bit easier said than done.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Lucifer wrote:What if I brought it back only to take away music for awhile?
If I had a choice I would remove the music and playlist code and focus on user events. I think we can all agree that in-game music is an embellishment (if not simply there for tradition) and has a lower priority than sounds generated for user feedback (which are purposeful).

This is not to say I don't like the idea of in-game music. Clearly I do. But from a personal standpoint I only listen to game music for the first play-through of a campaign then turn it off and listen to my own.

Now that I have a handle on designing cockpits in 0.4 the major sucking point for me is the sound engine. At a bare minimum it should be identical to 0.2x. If I were to expand on it I would loosely follow this list of events:
  • Cycle Engine
    Cycle Explosion
    Cycle Turn
    Cycle Brake Press
    Cycle Grind (Sparks are off by default, so IDK about this one)
    Zone Spawn/Collapse (This issue needs to be resolved)
    Possibly Friend/Enemy/Suicide Explosion Events?
    ...And the rest is superfluous.
I really dig making sound effects. I could make a couple a week until the sound is fixed and you would have dozens or even hundreds to choose from!
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

sinewav wrote: This is not to say I don't like the idea of in-game music. Clearly I do. But from a personal standpoint I only listen to game music for the first play-through of a campaign then turn it off and listen to my own.
This is the thing that the music player is all about. The primary reason I made it was so I could listen to Iron Maiden while playing the game. No external player needed (there's a performance hit) and I can control the player in-game. Whatever ends up bundled with the game is just "Whee, we have music, look! Put it on your fridge!" For serious music, I always intended that you'd go to your own catalog. I'd make a UI for building playlists, but the arma UI widgets are way too primitive to make something you can reasonably use to build playlists with 100+ tracks. Just how it is.

I'll take another look at OpenAL. A basic Hello, World! version of arma with OpenAL is theoretically just as simple as the basic SDL_mixer version I cooked up back before 0.3.0.

And you don't have to wave a gun in my face for me to accept that OpenAL is a way better choice than any of the BS sound interface given by SDL. SDL2 didn't offer a superior sound interface. Also, the dependency thing will be a pain in the ass, but you should also know that SDL_mixer already has those same dependencies, so this would be cutting out the middleman for those. It just gets dumped on the end-user (where, in the Linux world, the end-user might be building from source).

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden