an interesting idea

Made a pack that makes Armagetron sound like a rock concert? Hook us up!
17na
Average Program
Location: Fcon server. you are a true tron fan if you get the reference.

an interesting idea

Post by 17na »

ok wow. first off its been a while still allitle dead on this section but i had a cool idea now I dont have the software my self but we here on armagetron we have plenty of loopable textures like for the light trails and such now if we take said trail texture and open it with a program that reads picture files horizanaly and convert the texture to a .wav that should be loopable in the same sense as the texture itself then use resulting wav as your cycle run.any one follow?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: an interesting idea

Post by sinewav »

No, I don't follow. Try again with proper English syntax.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

He wants to convert textures to sound. And because the textures are wrap-around, the sounds would be loopable automatically. Whether they'll sound good is a completely different question :)
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Hmm, that's what I thought. So, a program that reads the light and dark values of an image and converts them the amplitude/frequency? Interesting, but would sound awful I imagine. However, taking thumbnails of sound files and making trails sounds easy and fun.

Maybe I'll look around for something like he's describing, later.
Attachments
wavewall.png
wavewall.png (58.25 KiB) Viewed 5996 times
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

X: time
Y: frequency
Brightness: amplitude

I don't think most textures are that musical, but it would be funny.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
17na
Average Program
Location: Fcon server. you are a true tron fan if you get the reference.

Post by 17na »

Well I dont mean use the very first file you get after conversion I tried this morning it sounded like crap but why I find potential is this: say you convert a texture you use thats just a seamles squiggly line the sounds pitch would fluxuate up and down like the line. Then open the resulting wav in audicity then make it sound more like an engine and time the wav to be syncronized with your lightcycles trail texture.just throwing it out there if anyone with talent finds it interesting.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Well, the synchronization would be easy since the bike speed can be known (meters per second). Just find out how many meters long your trail is and you're pretty much done. And if you're planning to manipulate the audio file anyway, what's the point of using an image file?
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

This reminds me of an old application I once downloaded called Sound of an Image. Unfortunately, it was pretty limited and you couldn't export/save in a customisable way—BPM is static, MIDI instruments aren't included with the export. Provided a little while of novelty fun, though.

However, as it relates to Arma, yeah, this is pointless.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »