Tron - Ripped Moviesounds

Made a pack that makes Armagetron sound like a rock concert? Hook us up!
Maxx

Tron - Ripped Moviesounds

Post by Maxx »

This is a sound set I've done using rips from the Tron DVD. There are a lot of good sound sets out there, but I haven't come across any that really sound like a good replication of the actual movie. So I made a set.

The engine, turn, and explosions sound high quality in my opinion. I worked a lot on the turn sound to include a little drive by on the tail end that does a pretty good job of faking a doppler effect when you 180 and the camera swings over head. In general it just gives the audio a nice sense of variation from the standard engine loop. Now the engine loop I put together is pretty damn smooth and has that familiar whine from the movie.

I didn't include my intro/extro sounds to cut down archive size. I can upload those separately if requested. The intro is from the movie, "Prepare to transport to light cycle grid," transport sound effect, "we have transport." The timing matches right up with the bikes starting off. The extro is Tron and Ram saying, "So long," other guy screams, "sucker!" explosion. Both of these are nothing special, and I'll probably get sick of them in a month.

Anyway, enjoy. I'll follow up with my graphical set soon.

EDIT~ I'm a tard and forgot to attach, scroll down.
Last edited by Maxx on Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Really gives you a great feeling, helping folks plan for their future needs.
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

Sounds great, but … how are we supposed to try it?
There's no place like ::1
Maxx

Post by Maxx »

I just had this crazy idea:

How 'bout I attach the file. =B
Attachments
maxxtronsounds.zip
This is a new moviesound set by Maxx, made from direct rips from the Tron DVD.
(1.2 MiB) Downloaded 1083 times
Rain
Round Winner

Post by Rain »

lol, it sounds more like an old flipper. nice
END OF LINE
Maxx

Post by Maxx »

Rain wrote:lol, it sounds more like an old flipper. nice
The turn?
Rain
Round Winner

Post by Rain »

the whole. because you added the complete explosion sound (including tire bouncing) and some other particular sounds that put all together and heard continuously made me think about an old flipper.

you ripped from the movie, but you chose some sounds that were good one time in a sequence, but that saturate too much if played repeatedly as the game imposes.

that is only my opinion, of course.

hear this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbTfCR7vYe0

i've been looking for it here in forums, it should be here somewhere, but have never found.
END OF LINE
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

I downloaded them and listened to them—didn't try them in the game since I've long since deleted it. However, I can tell that, yes, the cycturn in particular won't work very well. You want something really short for that—and for me, also very subtle and unobtrusive lest you get driven mad, especially by all the multi-bind wankers.

The moviesounds set that's being used in that video is an old set found here: http://armagetron.sourceforge.net/old/addons.html — the first one by Chaz Guarino.

Myself, I manually changed mine around now and then, using a mix of sounds culled from GLTron and some other little freeware games I accumulated over time. Dig around and you can find some very usable (and sometimes hilarious) stuff. I think the GLTron engine sound is the best I've ever come across (that actually sounds like an engine).

By the way, you may want to do some browsing before making these things. A number of people have already made Tron-themed moviepacks, including those for GLTron that with very little modification can be used in Armagetron. Just saying, you wouldn't want to be redundant, right.
Last edited by Phytotron on Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stormcrow
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Stormcrow »

Those sounds (the ones I use) are found on the old add ons site.

I prefer a turn sound I half-created myself (out of an explosion sound). Sounds much more like the movie.
Last edited by Stormcrow on Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stormcrow
On Lightcycle Grid

Re: Tron - Ripped Moviesounds

Post by Stormcrow »

Maxx wrote:This is a sound set I've done using rips from the Tron DVD. There are a lot of good sound sets out there, but I haven't come across any that really sound like a good replication of the actual movie. So I made a set.

The engine, turn, and explosions sound high quality in my opinion.
The sounds are pretty neat, actually. I just tried them out. I'm not sure about the turn; it seems a little too long. I wonder if it can be shortened (compressed) and still work...
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Phytotron wrote:I think the GLTron engine sound is the best I've ever come across (that actually sounds like an engine).
Hey, don't two interfering sawtooth waves sound realistic? Not even after Vorbis destroyed them (simulating the roughness of the real world)?
Maxx

Post by Maxx »

Let me first mention that at this point, it's hard for me to be very objective about it. I'm sick to death of the game itself, just from all the play testing I did while making the art/sound packs more to my liking.

That said, I made this because I didn't like any of the ones out there. They were low quality or poorly looped (in the case of the engine). I can't stand GLtron's sound set.

The youtube video is an interesting example. For one, it uses the exact explosion I do (yup, tire bounce included), and uses the same turn I do, excepting the second part and the engine roar. The turn is the same as mine in the first part of it (mine's roughly a three part sound). His engine sound is from the interior shots which have a little repetitive piece to them that got, well, too repetitive for my liking all the time. My engine sound is matched up with the exterior engine sound from the movie.

Lastly, if you haven't heard them in the game, well... sorry, that doesn't exactly count. It's one thing to say, "Oh, I hear all those nuances and it's too much" without it mixing with the engine noise or other bikes, or in multiple turns. That doesn't overlap in game. You only hear the initial turn in quick consecutive turns, leaving only the last turn with the extended sound (is that different on other systems?)

I could shorten the turn, I still have the source file with all the parts broken into different tracks. I don't see myself bothering, though.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Well well well.

Jonathan: If you're referring to the default engine sound...egad and ugh. Drove me nuts; likewise for the extremely harsh explosion sound.

edit: By "default," I'm assuming it hasn't changed in a few years.