Translation.

Don't feel confident with your English? This is the place to ask in your native tongue. Spanish, German... Not sure what else we speak here, but give it a go.
KamP
Round Winner

Translation.

Post by KamP »

You guys want help translating anything?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Sure. What language(s) can you offer?
BlindMan

Post by BlindMan »

did Polish counts ?? ;)

I can translate to polish (or die trying, i'm java programmer so can't be sure so i do it)

there any SVN/CVS links to current devel ?
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

KamP
Round Winner

Post by KamP »

French, and I could probably get a friend to help me with spanish.
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

KamP wrote:French, and I could probably get a friend to help me with spanish.
Might want to check out the existing translations in these languages.
KamP
Round Winner

Post by KamP »

Tank Program wrote:
KamP wrote:French, and I could probably get a friend to help me with spanish.
Might want to check out the existing translations in these languages.
Heh, i didn't find them.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

last svn has french translations
i would be glad to help you findng spell errors(les fôtes... :P )
HEXadecimal
Core Dumper

Post by HEXadecimal »

I can translate spanish
ever need help, drop me a line.
madmax
Round Winner

Post by madmax »

Although I don't have that much time at the moment, I could start making a portuguese translation...
But, what exactly would we need to do? Pick up the english file for instance, and start typing in the same format?
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

madmax wrote:Pick up the english file for instance, and start typing in the same format?
Pretty much... Yeah.
roman

Post by roman »

I was working on a galician (gl_ES) translation, and I was almost done, but I used the version bundled with Ubuntu Feisty (0.2.7.0), so I came here to see if I could get a better font_extra.png file (one that could represent galician and spanish characters), just to find that the up to date version is 0.2.8.x, and that the language files changed slightly (and also that spanish and french translations exist).

So I need some clarifications on how am I supposed to do the translation for this version (specially since I want to use the new added languages as a reference -and maybe for not diverging too much from the spanish one, but I'm not sure yet-).

With 0.2.7.0 I only had to copy the english file with a new name, include it in languages.txt, and start translating. But now the english file is split, and the other languages (even german, whose file was very similar to the english one before) have a "strange layout". At first glance it seems a little hard to port the work I was doing

I'm sorry for writing a long post, but finally here's what I want: I need to know the "RECOMMENDED" way of doing translations, including how to use the "update.py" thing. I also would suggest to pin this topic with the answer and/or wikify it, so future translators can easily find what to do (don't forget to mention the right way to notify the developer team about their intentions/work).

Thanks in advance

Edit: The maintaining policy will also be a valuable information. I mean, when does the "string freeze" happen -previous to a stable release-, how are the translation maintainers notified with the string differences between versions, etc.
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

font_s.png only supports characters in latin-1. If you need anything besides that you're out of luck until we complete utf-8 support.

update.py is a python script. If you call it with --update your_language_file it'll scan both your language file and the english ones and add comments to yours about missing translations, so you can translate those to get a complete language file :)

I don't know the RECOMMENDED way of doing translations, sorry.
There's no place like ::1
roman

Post by roman »

1) Thanks for the clarification on how update.py works. I'll give it a try when I really finish the work on the 0.2.7.0 version (as I said before I'm almost done :)).

2) Latin-1 is ok for galician: its "official flavour" uses a subset of the spanish alphabet; other variants (which I don't care about, anyway) use the portuguese one, and so on ;). Maybe I gave too much information and got misunderstood on this. On a side note, are there any languages which aren't covered by latin-15 and actually need latin-1? I can't see a scenario where the euro sign "€" is needed, but :P who knows? However, taking into account you're developing support for UTF-8 this is probably pointless.

3) Admittedly, the word "recommended" has some drawbacks, but I still believe giving some guidelines (3 or 4 simple steps would be more than enough) on a good, working procedure to start a translation is desirable. I *hate* to insist, but what about a specific FAQ about this topic? (Just for the record, I got it wrong when reading the comments inside update.py -- maybe didn't pay much attention at that moment ;))

4) Finally (I insist once more, I'm *very* sorry), it'd be a good thing if the team defines a policy on how new translations should be started (and the team and community advertised), current ones maintained and updated, etc., even if it's a stupid minimum policy (the FAQ could be a perfect place to put it in an informal way). I don't know if one has already been established, but it seems it hasn't, and (always IMHO) it's worth the effort.

Let me see what do you think about. And thanks for answering so fast! ;)
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

Come on, any charset without ¦¤½¼¾ sucks :)
I've never translated anything in arma, so I don't really know the best way to do it (or if how I'd do it is a good procedure). Just copy the file and start translating, I guess. If you think your way is good, feel free to document it :)
For including new language files in the next version of arma: just post them here, hopefully someone speaks the same language and can confirm it's correct, then we'll be happy to include it. Updating isn't too crucial IMHO, new language strings will appear in english until somone adds them. The meaning of a language string should never change, and removing obsolete strings can be automated.

</end of excuses for my lazyness>
There's no place like ::1