Home of the Lobster >-;;,ccc3

Moderator: DrJoeTr0n

iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

lobster connection bug

Post by iceman »

ive tried playing in lobster but get a problem

at the start of each round my client receives no data from the server for about 6 seconds and when I finally do im either dead or on the other side of the arena

this happens in every single round and makes game play impossible

does the lobster have problems with 0260 client ?
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Do you have this problem on other servers, or just lobster?

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
DrJoeTr0n
"On a Roll. Paper wise."

Post by DrJoeTr0n »

This is the first i've ever heard of that kind of problem.. I'll look into it.
iceman

Post by iceman »

just found I have the same problem with armagetron.de cristis armagetron server although its only about half as bad as lobster

just played in mxII servers without a problem
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

I have the same problem in Fortress, it's not every round, but sometimes damn near.
Also, sometimes I'll get a few seconds into a round, and my camera will "watch" someone else as if I'm dead, and then go back to me , but by that time I've usually crashed, and actaully died.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

If really no updates arrive from the fortress server (fonkay: check the network activity led or some mechanism in your OS), just scream BUG:NO UPDATE and notify me here. A huge backlog of unspecific screams has accumulated, so it has gotten a bit harder to get my attention. I'm forced to ignore those without more information.
For regular lag problems, please send a recording. Perhaps the recording Lucifer sent holds some information, I'll be busy analyzing that, so don't hurry. Of course, there is the known lag issue with beta3 and beta3.2.
The camera switching problem is weird. I fixed a bug that caused the camera to switch focus randomly when you were dead, but as long as you are alive, everything should have been fine. Definitely a case for a recording.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

So we should say BUG: <some identifying string> and then come here and give a description of the bug and the identifying string you can use to find it? ;)

It occurs to me that it would be nice if the server would give us ID numbers when we say BUG. Then we could give you the ID number and a description of the bug. I suppose there's supposed to be a description somewhere around when you say it anyway....

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Lucifer wrote:So we should say BUG: <some identifying string> and then come here and give a description of the bug and the identifying string you can use to find it? ;)
Anything that tells me what exactly you think is wrong. You can also use ingame chat immediately after screaming. I keep the logs along with the recordings, and they are easily greppable. I don't think there is a need to give out bug ID numbers, the approximate time and player name usually suffice.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

z-man wrote:I fixed a bug that caused the camera to switch focus randomly when you were dead...
Me thinks this fix isn't included in nemo's beta3.2, if by focus you mean that I'll be watching one player and then without any action by me the camera will switch to another player. I see dead people sometimes, too.
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

z-man wrote:Of course, there is the known lag issue with beta3 and beta3.2.
I only use Beta2 for the time being. Beta3 was impossible to play.
DrJoeTr0n
"On a Roll. Paper wise."

Post by DrJoeTr0n »

The server is 2.7.1 (For the record)

I haven't had a huge problem, but I also use the 2.7.0 client. I do get random lock ups where the game pauses, the fps shoots sky high and then stops, but that happens to everyone at once, most likely a server problem, But this only happens like once a month.
iceman

Post by iceman »

joe if you can try entering with 0260 client see if its worse ?
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

Just played Fortress, and shouted bug a few times. It was changing views again, while i was still alive.
But I figured out that it only happens when I'm just starting off the block, and not mid-game.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Viewswitching certainly is a clientside bug (well, maybe not, but I need to investigate what happens on the client first), so I'll have to ask you to make a recording of it yourself and send it over. There is an entry in the start menu for recording and playback; the recording file will be placed on your desktop. You'll need to zip it before attaching it here, the extension is not allowed and recordings like to get big.

And, if I remember the events correctly, beta2 had some lag problems as well. Their not-so-perfect correction led to the worse problems of beta3. Just rambling, ignore me.
iceman

Post by iceman »

how to make these recordings ? is it something I can do ?