0.3.0_alpha4872: Bugs (no Release process :) )

Help test release candidates for the next release
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

0.3.0_alpha4872: Bugs (no Release process :) )

Post by Z-Man »

An experimental build for upcoming 0.3.0 is available on AABerta.

For the QA team and anyone ready: Test, test, test! Since this is explicitly a development release, expect and tolerate some roughness. Report it anyway, of course, but only real showstoppers would prevent this from becoming 0.3.0 final.

For developers:
The sources are, as the tag indicates, of revision 4872 from the trunk. Several adaptions had to be made to the build module, though, so the total revision number is actually 4877. Use that instead for secondary builds or as a base for a potential branch.

Nemo: the rest of us hasn't though about Mac builds, sorry. How is the status of those on the trunk? It wouldn't be a terrible disaster if the Mac misses 0.3.0.
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Re: 0.3.0_alpha4872: Bugs (no Release process :) )

Post by dlh »

z-man wrote:Nemo: the rest of us hasn't though about Mac builds, sorry. How is the status of those on the trunk? It wouldn't be a terrible disaster if the Mac misses 0.3.0.
I uploaded the OS X build. It's kinda large... it should be smaller once I turn on dead-code stripping. This build still has SDL_mixer, which has proven itself to be rather unstable on OS X (the latest release, which I need to use...)
Van-hayes
Round Winner

Post by Van-hayes »

How can I change the music it is playing? after a while that gets annoying and I'd like to play some music I usually listen to.

Also the glances are acting weird, when I press one glance it may give me another one or if I press the same one a couple times in a row it changes which way i am glancing.
You've gone too far, turn back!
madmax
Round Winner

Post by madmax »

Can't run the OSX version. The game does not start.

@OSX 10.4.6

Maybe this helps (from the crash reporter):

Link (dyld) error:
Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib
-Referenced from: ./Armagetron Advanced.app/Contents/MacOS/Armagetron Advanced
-Reason: image not found
z-man wrote:It wouldn't be a terrible disaster if the Mac misses 0.3.0.
:roll:
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

yeah, the glancing is kind of weird. I saw there was a setting called camera_glance_mode or something, but i couldn't find a mode which gave me something like there is in pre0.3 (mostly a glance thats always positioned relatively to the bike, and where switching between glancing right and left can be done fast).
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

To change the music, go to sound settings, there's a choice of internal/external playlist, and a place to type an absolute path to a playlist file. afaik, no music plays ingame right now by default, but maybe somebody fixed that (I had it disabled because it only worked on my system for some reason).

Anyway, build your playlist in .m3u format using your favorite media player, or you can just type the paths to each song by hand in a text file, that's all m3u is anyway. Then type the complete path to the saved playlist and it should play.

A few notes, to be included in the release notes after 0.3.0 final: if you change sound quality (which should work), and you get a sampling rate that is different than the sampling rate of your mp3, your mp3 will not be resampled. So if you use an output of 22.05khz and the mp3 is 44.1khz (most rips from CDs are at that rate), then it will play at half speed. This is a limitation of SDL_mixer and will be resolved in time, you just have to live with it for right now. Ogg vorbis files are't affected for some reason, probably because libvorbis > smpeg.

@nemo: working on the sdl_mixer problem. :) Calc test this weekend, though, and some other stuff, so we'll see how it goes. Hopefully at the latest somewheres around 0.3.3 you'll have more choices on what to use to build the OS X client.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
belenus
Round Winner

Post by belenus »

The font size is WAY to large, text is overlapping and kinda blocks sight.
The original size was good.
- bel
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Can you give a screenshot showing this? There isn't any text overlap on my client...

I agree that it's too large, that's part of the roughness. :) It'll get better, there's a lot of work to do to reform the font system so that it's Pure and Virtuous. The first, hard part is done, getting a decent font library so we can use a better font format.

- Iron Maiden
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

madmax wrote:Can't run the OSX version. The game does not start.

@OSX 10.4.6

Maybe this helps (from the crash reporter)
[...]
Updated build is on aabeta.
Lackadaisical wrote:yeah, the glancing is kind of weird. I saw there was a setting called camera_glance_mode or something, but i couldn't find a mode which gave me something like there is in pre0.3 (mostly a glance thats always positioned relatively to the bike, and where switching between glancing right and left can be done fast).
Yea, I want the old behavior back, too.
belenus
Round Winner

Post by belenus »

Lucifer wrote:Can you give a screenshot showing this? There isn't any text overlap on my client...
Example overlap...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by belenus on Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- bel
Lacrymosa
Round Winner

Post by Lacrymosa »

As nemo and lackadasical already said, the new camera is weird.
I have the overlap, too and I think the font size is a bit too big.
xevic
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by xevic »

yep, text is overlapping.

what about the hud menu? there is a lot of shit there that messes up, like the time running or clock....

and sound sometimes is playing, crap, but playing and sometimes no, strange, anyway i saw u are on it.

i like the map, but perhaps one "you are here" (a bright point?) will help in fast looks.

good job.
belenus
Round Winner

Post by belenus »

That red/green FPS meter is more distracting than anything and totally useless too, please remove that. Sometimes less is more, dont need a stupid bar for everything.

How can you say what should be red/green anyway... I often went down too 33% and it was far away from being unplayable.
Last edited by belenus on Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- bel
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Heh, that overlap doesn't happen if you use English. :)

wrtlprnft? What's the chances you could take care of that pretty soon? It's kinda your baby... I don't know that it's a showstopper for 0.3.0, though, but it would be Really Really Nice to have a fix for it, even if you just shrink the column headings.

Besides the scoreboard, are there other instances of overlap? I know there are some where the text goes off the screen, hidden in things like the server message when it's full, but I've chosen to ignore those for now, and nobody else running off the trunk has mentioned it, so I don't consider that instance a showstopper for 0.3.0. But things like the chat running off screen, that was a showstopper and it was fixed already. So, showstopper = makes the game completely unplayable (for chat, that makes many instant chats required for team play unusable).

- Iron Maiden
Van-hayes
Round Winner

Post by Van-hayes »

If you switch your camera from(i think) smart to external, after going threw all of the camera settings once, it displays the internal HUD and the other one.
You've gone too far, turn back!