0.2.9.1 Release Process: Beta

Help test release candidates for the next release
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

0.2.9.1 Release Process: Beta

Post by Z-Man »

I can't think of anything meaningful to add to the 0.2.9 branch right now, so here we go. 0.2.9.1 is now in beta.

Latest build: 0.2.9.1_beta_z2353

You can get it as a direct download or by subscribing to the beta branch on Steam, Itch.io or Zero Install. Handy Zero Install command line:

Code: Select all

0launch -cr 'https://0install.armagetronad.org/armagetronad-beta.xml'
Main new things:
- Aspect ratio and text improvements
- center messages with color codes now work properly
- The non-PPA binary distributions should now really be compatible with every relevant Linux system (If they don't work for you, that does not mean your system is irrelevant! It's still likely a bug.)
- Playback of recordings now does no longer require the --playback command line switch and makes some effort to not fall over when you look at it wrong
- First use changes: less anoying tutorial tooltips, custom camera is now the default, modified initial game

Also, there has been a small security fix merged into 0.2.8.3 (was already part of 0.2.9.0), and it has gotten all the new build system stuff (0.2.8.3.5 was still done on the old, non-docker based one), so it's time to do a release there, too. 0.2.8.3 is now our LTS branch, mostly for conservative Linux distributions.

The latest build for that is 0.2.8.3.6_beta_z1555.

This one isn't on Steam or Itch.io, but you can run it and any updates via a Zero Install command line with version restriction:

Code: Select all

0launch -cr --before 0.2.9-pre0 'https://0install.armagetronad.org/armagetronad-beta.xml'
It's also on the new LTS PPA for Ubuntu users. You... can't meaningfully have that and the regular PPA on a system together, though, the regular PPA builds win then.

The tests I do myself for all of those are very basic function tests (start, local game peek, online game peek) using Zero Install on Ubuntu (16.04, 18.04 and 20.04), Fedora (32) and CentOS (8). Those are quick for me, nobody else should need to bother with them. You guys just switch to the beta branch and use it for play. Suggestions for systems to add to the sweep are welcome. Debian is already part of the very very basic compatibility tests done by the CI system, so I don't think it requires additional manual tests. Oh yeah, I also boot up the Windows installer at some point, as well as the Steam and Itch.io builds for both systems.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: 0.2.9.1 Release Process: Beta

Post by sinewav »

Z-Man wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:36 pmSuggestions for systems to add to the sweep are welcome.
We must not have any Arch users on this forum because no one has said anything.

Beta working great, I've made it my main and deleted all the other versions because I was getting confused.
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

sinewav wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:22 pm
Z-Man wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:36 pmSuggestions for systems to add to the sweep are welcome.
We must not have any Arch users on this forum because no one has said anything.
If it counts for something, an AUR package exists that does provide 0.4. And, of course, the normal package that currently provides 0.2.9.0.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

My main machine is on Manjaro, which is Fluffy Arch, and I use the generic binaries when I play, not anything built locallty. I suppose that gives it enough compatibility testing. Of course, I do have all the libraries already installed on my system, which makes the testing incomplete. I should probably set up an Arch virtual machine, too. Especially since Arch would also serve as an early warning system, future incompatibilities are likely to hit there first.
madmax
Round Winner

Post by madmax »

Game seems to crash on some situations where you bind the console key and press it immediately afterwards.
Also happened with the latest stable (0.2.9.0.1.gcc.win32). Recording attached.
  1. Do a clean install of 0.2.9.1 and launch the game;
  2. Skip the tutorial;
  3. Enter an online game with players (does not seem to work with local games...?);
  4. Go to System Setup > Misc Stuff > Global Keyboard Configuration;
  5. Bind console input to a given key, and press it immediately afterwards while on the menu;
  6. Game crashes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Winner of the How Many Pages Before The Lock® competition and a grand total of 18,93 euros in Euromillions.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Excellent! I could only reproduce it on Windows in release mode, but that was enough. The cause for this is a data lifetime mismatch in the menu key repeat code. The flag telling the system whether key repeat is active is a global flag, but the data saying what to repeat is local and by default uninitialized. Both are set together, but since one is global, the other local, they fall out of sync when you leave a menu. Some cases catch this, but apparently not all. Result: key repeat was considered active, but the data on what key to repeat was uninitialized. That probably hit in many more situations than the one you found.
It's a very old bug, so no regression, but on the other hand, a serious crash/undefined behavior. I might merge the fix into both beta branches.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

After a bit of procrastination, we're in the release candidate phase now:
0.2.9.1_rc_z2360 for the current build
0.2.8.3.6_rc_z1559 for the LTS branch build

The code is identical to the last beta; revision increases were just release note updates.

Plan: Tag the final releases Sunday after the tournament, release on Monday the 30th.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Man! Learned something. Don't do two releases at once, unless they're only security hotfixes. There were three problems in both of these:
1. The version generation script also thought it should use the release tag as the version for the next beta build from the same source. Luckily, the debian build test made them fail and saved me from having to clean up after a misversioned build.
2. The ppa versions contain ~ppa1~ppa1 instead of just using it once.
3. Most annoyingly, a bug in the deploy script that only affects full releases had deployment wait for the appearence of downloads on launchpad that were never uploaded. I had to manually upload dummy files and clean them up afterwards to make it go through.

And the ppa upload for 0.2.8.3.6 was blocked by an earlier faulty upload of a release candidate with a wrong version number, so I had to run its deployment and manual intervention of point 3 again.

Well, I fixed all of these, hopefully (can't be 100% sure about point 3), in all branches, that's why we now have a swarm of new alpha, beta and experimental builds burying 0.2.8.3.6 and 0.2.9.1 :) Half of that trouble would have been avoided had I done the releases one after the other.