0.2.9.0 release process: hotfix testing!

Help test release candidates for the next release
Monkey
Match Winner

Re: 0.2.9.0 release process: staging!

Post by Monkey »

Z-Man wrote:GCC and clang should equally be supported
Fair enough.
Z-Man wrote:The default camera for new players is custom now.
Good.
Playing since December 2006
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: 0.2.9.0 release process: hotfix!

Post by Z-Man »

Hotfix time.

The Non-Steam Linux binaries (AppImage, Zero Install) for 0.2.9.0 didn't have all the libraries they needed included. You didn't notice because you were likely to have them on your system. I added them and we can publish an update.

Please test this for accidental breakage: 0.2.9.0.1_rc_z2111/
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: 0.2.9.0 release process: hotfix!

Post by sinewav »

Z-Man wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:12 amPlease test this for accidental breakage:
Downloaded and installed. I guess we should mostly focus on testing what is in the changelog? I'm guessing there is no Software QA document that outlines the kind of tests needed for every release.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: 0.2.9.0 release process: hotfix testing!

Post by Z-Man »

You're guessing correctly.

What I tend to do is simply start it up, play against some local bots, get killed, enter a random empty server, get beaten up by the bots there too, then call it a day.

In this particular build, since the library setup has changed, the basic thing to test is 'does it still run?'. Libraries were only added, and I tested that they suffice to run the game on vanilla Fedora 32 and Ubunutu 16.04, so I don't expect any problems. But the dynamic library loader is set up so that it finds system libraries before the included ones, the reason being that the system libraries are likely to be more up to date with security and other patches. Then you may end up with a strange mixed combination of included and system libraries loaded, and that may not always work out. But if everything we use libraries for has been run through once, that's enough testing. So loading the title screen and some other texture fully uses SDL_image, loading any map uses libxml2. For 0.4, joining any network game uses protobuf. Everything else is used right from the start.