0.2.8.3.3: Doing the old dance again. Final builds available

Help test release candidates for the next release
Monkey
Match Winner

Re: 0.2.8.3.3: Doing the old dance again. RC3 available

Post by Monkey »

OK, so about the second patch. First of all I will have to explain OpenBSD's "ports/packages" system. I'll keep it as brief as possible:

OpenBSD has a "ports/packages" system for installing third party software, very similar, IIRC, to the ones that FreeBSD and Mac OS X use. It is best to use this system, whenever possible, instead of compiling source code directly. A "port" is a collection of source files that are used to build a binary "package" for a given piece of third party software. Each port consists of the third party source, a Makefile and some other special files. The ports are connected together by some more special Makefiles and files, to make a massive tree structure. OpenBSD doesn't install ports, it installs the binary packages that ports create. The make targets to get from a port to an installed package are as follows (in order):

fetch - Fetches all of the third party source file(s) needed to build the port.
checksum - Verifies the fetched source file(s).
prepare - Installs any build dependencies of the port.
extract - Extracts the source file(s) into a work directory.
patch - Applies any patches that are necessary for the port.
configure - Configures the port.
build - Builds the port.
fake - Pretends to install the port under a subdirectory of the work directory.
package - Creates a binary package from the fake installation.
install - Installs the resulting package.
Z-Man wrote:I don't have /usr/share/examples.
Unless I'm missing something, ${prefix} would usually be /usr/local, not /usr, so we would be dealing with /usr/local/share/examples.
Z-Man wrote:I'm not quite sure how that is even supposed to work
I don't fully understand it either, yet, although I am learning :P
Z-Man wrote:is there some magic in BSD's 'install' command
Kind of. I think the ports/packages system performs the magic somewhere along the process.
Z-Man wrote:Is it even required?
Yes.
Z-Man wrote:If yes, what's the error you get if you don't apply it?
I can't paste it here due to X Server mouse issues but basically I get an error from the ports/package system saying it can't find the example/config files in question. This happens at the make package stage.
Z-Man wrote:I'll try to look into it for the current branches.
Thanks. Something tells me that there must be a fairly simple solution.
Playing since December 2006
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: 0.2.8.3.3: Doing the old dance again. Final builds avail

Post by Z-Man »

Thanks. I'd still want to support the traditional raw configure/make/make install, though, I think that's what I used last time in a BSD. It should be possible to detect and react to the ports build environment and activate the magic install switching only there.

Final builds are available now:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/armage ... 0.2.8.3.3/
Well, hopefully final. I'll only declare them released after the Ladle, that's also when I'm going to upload them to the PPA. 0install requires a little more work and will come later.
blondie
Core Dumper

Post by blondie »

could you add a text-tile to your recordings directory demarcating which client versions playback which recordings? Might be helpful for some people, especially when 0.4 becomes the stable version.

Pre-Ladle 29 is 0.2.8.2.1, unless you go far enough back
Ladle 29 onwards is 0.2.8.3.2
Ladle 92 onwards will be 0.2.8.3.3, although without changes to menu structure, I suspect future/past recordings will work generally for 0.2.8.3.x
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

blondie wrote:could you add a text-tile to your recordings directory demarcating which client versions playback which recordings? Might be helpful for some people, especially when 0.4 becomes the stable version.
Yep, good idea.
blondie wrote:Ladle 92 onwards will be 0.2.8.3.3, although without changes to menu structure, I suspect future/past recordings will work generally for 0.2.8.3.x
Pretty much, yes.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

BSD used to support standard compiles fine, unless its changed a lot recently, it still should. Ports is like Portage, just directs it how to do what it already does. Granted, Ports is a bit crusty compared to Portage anymore, but it should still be able to do that.