0.4 issues

Help test release candidates for the next release
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

0.4 issues

Post by Mkay1 »

I have some issues with this client. I'm not good at solving issues on my own. The walls are weird (as pictured), but this only occurs on the first turn, but then transfers to the next.
screenshot_78.png
screenshot_77.png
There is also no cockpit. I tried putting my cockpit into the resources, under the same path as my 0.3.0 one, but it was not successful, when entering it into con.

Edit: I figured out the tails issue. I turned "Simple trails on" under detailed settings.

Edit2: nvm, once I restarted the client, it worked.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mkay1 on Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: delete this topic

Post by Z-Man »

The trail should also be fixed in the next snapshot.

Do you get error messages regarding the cockpit?
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Re: 0.4 issues

Post by Mkay1 »

I downloaded one of the first versions of 0.4. It was one that still said "0.3.x experimental" on the title screen. About two weeks ago I got this message from servers such as the fort pickup server.
0.4.JPG
I then downloaded the most current version at the time (title screen says "0.4_alpha_z1944"). I tried playing in the server with the new version, and I froze numerous times, and my fps dropped significantly from the first build of 0.4 that I tried. When I switched to the first version of 0.4 I had gained of average 40-60 fps, as It was 20-30 before. I could even play in desktop resolution without losing too much FPS to play. I then played in another server using the different clients, the same problem ensued with the newer version. I'm just wondering why the latest version of armagetron is unplayable, and the first version of 0.4 made my gaming experience five times better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Concord »

Mkay1 wrote:I downloaded one of the first versions of 0.4. It was one that still said "0.3.x experimental" on the title screen. About two weeks ago I got this message from servers such as the fort pickup server.

Also experiencing this problem.
Zimblunk
Average Program

Post by Zimblunk »

Concord wrote:
Mkay1 wrote:I downloaded one of the first versions of 0.4. It was one that still said "0.3.x experimental" on the title screen. About two weeks ago I got this message from servers such as the fort pickup server.

Also experiencing this problem.
Same here. (Although I'm using the outdated 0.3_alpha_z1333.) I could connect with a stable version I have (0.2.8.3.2), but I'd rather have the mini-map and the "broken" glancing. I went ahead and downloaded the newest 0.4 build (0.4_alpha_z1952) so I can figure out how to build this stuff on a Mac (seems useful to know), but according to Mkay's post, it looks like this might not function properly.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Yeah, the expiration thing happens on purpose, backwards compatibility with snapshot builds is not 100% guaranteed. The old 0.3 and 0.4 builds had a bug that let it happen a bit sooner than it should. I turned the thing into a warning for future builds. Sucks that there is no current Mac build, but I can't do a thing about it right now. Maybe dlh can do a new build.

For the performance problems, please try to pinpoint them to a specific version jump. They're all in the archive.

For freezers, please supply debug recordings. If they happen for internal reasons (say, problems with the new protobuf network code that only gets fully activated if you're on a 0.4 server), the recordings will show that.
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

What's going on here?

This happens when tron is sitting on the menu for an extended period of time.

This happens on certain maps.

This seems to happen in fast track servers...

Had to downscale these snapshots.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

aP|Nelg wrote:What's going on here?
This happens on certain maps.
You're supposed to go to your menu and enable Street Fighter II when you're in that server :wink:
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

Also, in case you're wondering

Code: Select all

administrator@kwheezy-desktop:~$ lspci|grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 04)
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

aP|Nelg wrote:Also, in case you're wondering

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 04)
Proprietary driver installed for it, or using the generic? Either way, try switching. Sometimes that OS driver is better. At least for certain things.
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

Light wrote:
aP|Nelg wrote:Also, in case you're wondering

Proprietary driver installed for it, or using the generic? Either way, try switching. Sometimes that OS driver is better. At least for certain things.
I don't think there is a proprietary driver for it.

I can't seem to get any of these problems on my laptop with an AMD radeon HD graphics card using proprietary driver or open source driver though.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

aP|Nelg wrote:I don't think there is a proprietary driver for it.
Maybe! Do you know about Intel Graphics for Linux? I found out about this several months ago and it is the sole reason I am able to play Arma's 0.4.x branch. Using the generic drivers I would only get a ragged 30 fps on my machine, but with the proprietary drivers I get well over 100 fps. They have installers for Ubuntu and Fedora, but on Debian you'll probably have to install all the components in the graphics stack individually. Might be worth looking into man.
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

sinewav wrote:
aP|Nelg wrote:I don't think there is a proprietary driver for it.
Maybe! Do you know about Intel Graphics for Linux? I found out about this several months ago and it is the sole reason I am able to play Arma's 0.4.x branch. Using the generic drivers I would only get a ragged 30 fps on my machine, but with the proprietary drivers I get well over 100 fps. They have installers for Ubuntu and Fedora, but on Debian you'll probably have to install all the components in the graphics stack individually. Might be worth looking into man.
it wants libpackagekit-glib2-16 but whats installed is libpackagekit-glib2-18
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

aP|Nelg wrote:it wants libpackagekit-glib2-16 but whats installed is libpackagekit-glib2-18
:/ Crap, I thought that might happen. The Intel stack is very specific for different OS versions. The good news is, they try to follow a quarterly release schedule. You might want to bookmark that project and check back in a couple months. After I discovered these drivers I actually downgraded to a slightly earlier version of Ubuntu so I could use them, and it was worth it.

In the meantime I would take ConVicT's advice and enable Street Fighter II in the menu.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

The things in Nelg's screenshots are probably overflow/rounding problems with large texture coordinates. They tend to get large after a while in the menu. I suppose we could have them wrap around internally so they don't grow without bounds. Though, if the effect also happens on game maps, main blame goes to the driver/GPU.