Sound problems in 0.4_alpha

Help test release candidates for the next release
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Sound problems in 0.4_alpha

Post by epsy »

Actually, wouldn't it be better if it highlighted a new entry "Auto-join" ? People seem to use Create new team to that effect.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

That's fine too. Go right ahead.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Actually, I'm working on it. There already was a menu item prepared for it, trouble is that it's not working. A small protocol addition will be required, the selection needs to to be done (or at least, should be done) on the server. So the auto-join menu item is only going to appear on 0.4 servers. In the meantime, the 'create new team' item does pretty much the same job and I'm fine with that, unless the server has disabled auto-joining.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Back to sound-related problems in 0.4...

I think the sound in 0.4 is far from complete. Since I'm one of the dozen or so people who actually play Armagetron with sound enabled, I would like to share some complaints about it (I'm seriously surprised no one has mentioned this yet).

Number one: The cycle sound is way too quiet. It's completely out of balance with the rest of the sounds. The quieter engine does sound better using incam, but that's not the camera I or most people use regularly. Also, I wish the sounds were "camera neutral" so I can change cameras without constantly adjusting my volume.

Number two: The spacial relation of triggered sounds seem irregular. I am able to hear cycle turns at the other end of the grid and they are nearly as loud as mine or my neighbors. The same is true about zone spawns, but opposite. As zones are spawned further away, the seem to be unnaturally quiet.

Number three: Speaking of zone spawns, there should be a way to forbid the sound from triggering at the beginning of the round because when multiple zones exist, the sound is multiplied until severely distorted. This is very disturbing in servers like CTWF where some maps have dozens of zones. It seems to me that having an audio trigger for a zone spawn would be useful in the case of winzones / deathzones, not pre-existing fortresses or flag objects. Although, the audio trigger does seem to be tolerable in shooting servers, but you know, shooting. :roll:

Number four: This comment is about what sounds are included in 0.4, since I've recently spent some time gathering new files for the contest. First, there are two files: cyclrun.wav and cyclrun.ogg, and it seems only the .ogg file is necessary? Remove the .wav file? Second, grind.ogg is indeterminable. I can't hear it no matter what I try. I assumed it was to replace the hard-coded sound when sparks are enabled, but I haven't been able to get it to trigger (or it's very, very quiet). Third, I don't see a need for three versions of "voicemale.ogg." This is my personal opinion, but I think one well-crafted sound is more efficient and more international than an English-speaking person. Maybe if we could find a sexy-girl voice I might like it better, but probably not, haha. Again, my opinion.

Ok, that's it for now. I have more complaints about 0.4 but those are for a different thread. :?