0.2.8.3.2: Release process and Bugs: 0.2.8.3.2_rc1

Help test release candidates for the next release
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: 0.2.8.3.2: Release process and Bugs: 0.2.8.3.2_rc1

Post by sinewav »

Z-Man wrote:What's your system?
Dell Latitude D820 with Intel video running Ubuntu 10.10, similar to your laptop. ;)

I just loaded a floor texture that was 173 kb and it failed. I am confused.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Could it be that you're simply hitting the texture size limit of the chip? I tested it on our netbook with an intel chip and found no change between 0.2.8.3.1 and 0.2.8.3.2, both work fine for textures <= 2048 and fail above that. Earlier builds may be even worse off.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Z-Man wrote:Could it be that you're simply hitting the texture size limit of the chip?
Wow, this is really depressing. I guess that's the only explanation. I've spent the last 30 minutes trying to find info on that chip with no luck. (anyone else notice that all the top search engines are getting really bad at search as they try to "read our minds" more?). I wish I could have known this laptop was going to suck for Armagetron; I wouldn't have bought it. I guess I'll have to decide my next computer on the video chip and work backwards. This is such a bummer. I had this huge art project planned around the game. :(
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

I managed to find one of the early Intel GMA chips, the GMA 950, supported textures up to 2048 pixels. I think the high-end of that era was around 4096.

Something to keep in mind, though, is that the textures should also fit in video RAM. A 2048x2048 RGB(A)8 texture consumes 16 MB. Several of those textures don't make the low-end of the time happy, regardless of whether it is technically supported. Now imagine several times 4096x4096 or 64 MB. Yeah, you can use 16-bit textures (1/2 size) or texture compression (1/4 or 1/8), but that's terrible or potentially terrible and not supported by Armagetron, respectively.
sinewav wrote:(anyone else notice that all the top search engines are getting really bad at search as they try to "read our minds" more?)
Yeah. Plus a lot of gunk is accumulating now that everyone and their cat puts stuff on the web.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Well, see it as a chance to make your huge art project compatible with low-end GPUs :)
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

This isn't with the rc1, but the 0.2.8.3.2 release currently under "Announcements" (wasn't sure if you wanted to leave that topic as announcement-only).

New thing, I believe. Previously, if I changed from textures to moviepack, or vice versa, all the textures would immediately change (with exception to the cycle model, of course). Now, there's a varying delay before the rim texture changes. Floor and dir_wall still change immediately. You'll see in the recording that I demonstrated changing back and forth with both the console and menu and, later in the recording, how changing certain detail settings will get the rim to change over when it's stuck.

Since it's new and odd, figured I'd report it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Ah, that must be the rim wall display list holding on to the old textures. We can fix that (though I won't rush out a hotfix release, of course).