0.2.8.3.1 released!

Help test release candidates for the next release
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

0.2.8.3.1 released!

Post by Z-Man »

We've collected enough fixes to 0.2.8.3 to justify a first bugfix release. Obviously, named 0.2.8.3.1. No new features, just bugfixes. The changes have been collected in svn only, branch 0.2.8.3. The procedure is simple: one or two alpha builds, alpha build that works gets turned into a release.

First alpha build is here. All the usual platforms, plus Ubunu. A small error caused the ChangeLog to not be up to date, the missing entries are attached. Please test, especially that the claimed fixes are really fixed.

Edit: Final build is up on SourceForge. Release notes:

Code: Select all

This is a small bugfix release to 0.2.8.3. Most important fixes:
- fixed temporary sound disappearance when alt-tabbing away and back
- default subcultures are now distributed
- enable 32 bit color depth at desktop resolution
- no more display lists for SiS cards
- spelling mistakes and missing German translations
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Z-Man on Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: 0.2.8.3.1: Release process

Post by Z-Man »

Oh, for those downloading the Ubuntu/Debian package: you need two. In addition to the client or server package, you also need the armagetronad-common-*.deb, and you need to install that one first. I say that because there only have been two downloads of the common package and nine client downloads.

And please, test this some more and give feedback. At least amongst the Ubuntu users, "Oh, it doesn't work, but I'm sure they notice that themselves soon enough." seems to be the prevailing attitude. No, we won't notice. The packages are up there precisely because we think there are zero problems with them. If there's anything not working that did work in 0.2.8.3, we don't know about it yet and you need to tell us.

Anyway, the plan was to release this as 0.2.8.3.1 this weekend. Guess I'll have to delay it one more week.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Well, I've been using it for Mac (obviously), but there was a such a short period between 0.2.8.3 and 0.2.8.3.1 that I don't really know what to be looking/testing for. Nothing stands out, other than the menu change. The changes text doesn't tell me much. Give me something specific to look for between the two versions and I can try to make some comparisons, otherwise....
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

The three main differences are, or rather should be:
- If you alt-tab (or, I assume, command-tab) away from the game, then back, sounds should no longer be off for the rest of the round
- if you select the Desktop screen resolution, you are no longer forced to 16 bit colour depth (does not apply to Windows where that option is not yet available)
- the "Competition" subculture should now be automatically created every time (if you already have it, delete it, then restart)
And, of course, the most important thing about all three is that the affected mechanisms don't break in some other way. Like, task switching should still not crash the client.

Also, we no loger use Display Lists on SiS chips, because their drivers suck, and some language files got minor fixes.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Right,

- I don't play windowed, but I just checked and sound comes back when command-tabbing back and forth. (One annoying thing, however, is if I have the game paused, switch away, then come back, it automatically un-pauses.)

- I've always left color depth at default. How would one know if it forced to something other than that? Just visually? (I do recall playing games in the past that automatically lowered the color depth, and recall what that looked like as the screen transitioned; haven't ever noticed anything like that.) Might also be worth noting that Macs use that "_____ of colors" naming scheme. At "millions of colors," I suppose my default is 24-bit. Might be worth using those names in the Mac builds, for the layperson—perhaps something like "Thousands of colors (16 bit)"?

- Subcultures aren't useful for me, as far as I can tell. Not sure what specifically to look for, what you're referring to. I see two of your servers when I browse, and see an "armagetron kicks-ass" when I look at the edit page.

- "Display lists on SiS chips" is a nonsensical statement to me. :)

Speaking of language files, I was browsing english_base.txt again, and ran across the following line:

player_lose_hole            0xffff00ZOMG! 0xff7f00HOLER!!1!!0xRESETT \1 lost \2 points for being a cheap ass lamer.\n
Really? You want that in there?

Speaking of crashes, I haven't had one, but I continue to occasionally get instances where the game won't fully quit, so I have to force-quit. I reported this in one of the other bug report threads and submitted a recording that, while made for another purpose, happened to end with the game not quitting. Did you notice that, check it out, and/or find it useful?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Phytotron wrote:- I've always left color depth at default. How would one know if it forced to something other than that? Just visually? (I do recall playing games in the past that automatically lowered the color depth, and recall what that looked like as the screen transitioned; haven't ever noticed anything like that.) Might also be worth noting that Macs use that "_____ of colors" naming scheme. At "millions of colors," I suppose my default is 24-bit. Might be worth using those names in the Mac builds, for the layperson—perhaps something like "Thousands of colors (16 bit)"?
We can't care in that much detail for specific platform oddities, I'm afraid; it's not worth the effort of specializing translation items. All the translators would need to be aware of the differences as well. Anyway, if the colour depth stays at Default and visibly so, it's working. It would revert to 16 bits before.
Phytotron wrote:Speaking of language files, I was browsing english_base.txt again, and ran across the following line:

player_lose_hole            0xffff00ZOMG! 0xff7f00HOLER!!1!!0xRESETT \1 lost \2 points for being a cheap ass lamer.\n
Really? You want that in there?
Yep. It appears when you set the hole score to something negative, and is a reflection of the state of mind required to do so.
Phytotron wrote:Speaking of crashes, I haven't had one, but I continue to occasionally get instances where the game won't fully quit, so I have to force-quit. I reported this in one of the other bug report threads and submitted a recording that, while made for another purpose, happened to end with the game not quitting. Did you notice that, check it out, and/or find it useful?
The problem doesn't get reproduced on playback on my machine with the standard moviepack. It could be that it's triggered by your data files or caused by a bad sound driver (the sound mixing thread is the only background process, and there's nothing in the main thread that could lock up after the SDL is told to shut down).
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Z-Man wrote:The problem doesn't get reproduced on playback on my machine with the standard moviepack. It could be that it's triggered by your data files or caused by a bad sound driver (the sound mixing thread is the only background process, and there's nothing in the main thread that could lock up after the SDL is told to shut down).
Well then, any suggestions for a solution? Would a crash report be useful?

I don't think I'm using any odd texture files. No idea regarding sound files—you want them?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

I don't think sound files can be the problem. Once they're loaded, they're just a stream of bytes. And I don't know how to proceed. I'm not a Mac expert, I don't even know what possibilities there are. If there's a crash report with readable data, sure, pass it over. But if it's just a bunch of hexcodes, I wouldn't know what to do with it.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Well, you mentioned "sound driver," which is why I mentioned sound files. Anyway, I get console crash reports; I'll copy one next time it happens.
Van-hayes
Round Winner

Post by Van-hayes »

Noticed these weird poll result messages in DS mega fortress today, and as G5 said he was using this version and I hadn't seen it before, I figured it is a small bug with the server so here was a good place to post it.
screenshot_31.png
screenshot_32.png
Could just be with DS as I'm not sure what servers are running what versions and haven't seen the messages anywhere else yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You've gone too far, turn back!
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Ah, thanks. Probably just another case of message templates not getting set correctly. I don't remember polls giving that detailed information on 0.2.8, though. What version is the server running?
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

I think that's trunk language messages on a 0.2.8 server
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Yep, that would explain it, the trunk code does look like it should produce correct messages. Not the first time a frankenserver triggers a fake bug report :)
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Without much procedure, I just slapped luke's recent spelling fixes on top of the last alpha and declared the result the finished 0.2.8.3.1. Get it on SourceForge, Launchpad comes later.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: 0.2.8.3.1 released!

Post by Z-Man »