Tr2n Origins and startup menu test build 0.2.8_t2o_alpha

Help test release candidates for the next release
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: Tr2n Origins and startup menu test build 0.2.8_t2o_alpha

Post by Z-Man »

Heh, copy them and the layout, that's just what we're planning to do for some of them, once your bzr stuff is in a state that allows it better (Luke-Jr is massaging it right now). And you're right. Keyboard Layout should be just named Controls. Any suggestions for Internet Connection? Internet Speed? Connection Speed?
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Just a quick question about the subculture that has been setup for the t2o servers. I am a complete n00b at setting up subcultures, but I have just read through the relevant wiki page. To setup a subculture that points to the Armagetron servers, do I setup a master server that just points to one of the Armagetron master servers?
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

To set up a subculture, you set up a master server that doesn't talk to the regular master servers. You have already done that, we're just using it :)

Also, "Tube" :) Well, probably not.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

OK, that makes sense to me. I didn't quite get that.
I like the idea of the competitions subculture being setup with the client, like the current version of the t20 compatibility client. I will add that to my todo list for t2o. I can see how that would make things easier for players to find the appropriate servers for competitions, especially when the number of our servers grows.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

That competition subculture should actually have been there ever since we added subculture support. Unfortunately, two errors in the build files caused it not to be distributed.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

The competition subculture does work in the current Arma client. I was referring to the idea of it. I am thinking of setting up a "Competitions" subculture for TR2NOrigins and delivering it with the client, as this Arma client does.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

New builds are up.. Changes are mostly not actually to our source, the only relevant change there is that the greeting menu names have been shortened. The Windows build now ships with a newer version of SDL, which enables us to support the "Desktop" option for the screen resolution, which just takes over your Desktop resolution. It's the new default. Also, there's Debian packages built for Ubuntu Hardy Heron, they should work on later releases and Debian just fine. No Mac build this time for lack of relevant changes.

Also, I lost the title screen :(
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

Definitely feels 'laggy'....I can't really describe it and the server browser scrolls slowly if you just hold down up/down. I think it's some kind of graphics issue not connection
All I noticed really after a small amount of playing. tr2n servers were all picked up

Was using my original cfg so no new start up for me
(win7 64)
Pretty useless post really :D
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

Pretty sure this is older than the latest 0.2.8 release, and doesn't work with latest TR2N Origins servers...
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

Just my two cents: If we have the “new player” menu I think there should be an obvious way to show it again, with a warning that it will overwrite most of your settings. At least I don't like making unrevocable decisions in strange programs I don't know (Yes, I know you can change everything using the regular menu).

And maybe decrease CYCLE_DELAY in the practice round. Turning feels really sluggish, and I think even new players can press buttons quicker than that.
There's no place like ::1
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

Post by AI-team »

wrtlprnft wrote:...I think even new players can press buttons quicker than that.
No , definitely no >_<

"95% of people believe in every quote you post on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Agreed. Leave the default CYCLE_DELAY at 0.1. (I, for one, wish it were hard coded as such.)

Local game should be reverted to CYCLE_SPEED 10, though.

Wait, what does that have to do with Tr2n Origins and a startup menu?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

It's about the new first play experience on Trunk and current 0.2.8 (put there in case we need to put out a quick version in response to t2o), where the player is put into the arena with a single AI at half the regular game speed.

wrtl: there is a way to redo the initial setup, it's of course not very obvious (system setup/misc/redo) and doesn't reset everything to defaults, just whatever that menu sets, and if you leave the settings there alone, it doesn't change anything.