0.2.8.3_rc4 available! Post bugs here.

Help test release candidates for the next release
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: 0.2.8.3_rc4 available! Post bugs here.

Post by compguygene »

Thank you for the explanation, Z-man. I have randomly seen the same error message, since updating to rc4. It seems to have no effect on actual gameplay. I hoped that it was not very meaningful toward overall performance. It seemed to be a fair assumption that things would be cleaned up internally, as one actually loaded the master list and subsequently entered a server.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Umm, you get it frequently? If possible, I'd like to see a recording then anyway. It's probably not important for the reasons stated, but maybe debugging reveals a hidden monster.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

No problem. I will just start taking recordings, until I catch it.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Speaking of phasing, I swear there have been a handful of times I've seen others, as well as myself, pass straight through a cycle wall—one approached perpendicularly, and just driving right through. "How the hell did I get in here?" I have no idear how to reproduce it, though. This has been on the Mud Puddle server, which has _timebased 1.4; perhaps related? Or maybe I'm just delusional, but a couple times others have noticed it.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Been alternating between 0.2.8.2.1 and rc4. No longer receiving message_cache error in rc4 (but just watch, now that I've mentioned it I will), but still getting hiccups and "lag-outs." I don't think I get hiccups with 0.2.8.2.1 (less spasmodic diaphragm, obviously).

With respect to the lag-out thing: From my point of view, all other cycles stop turning and just stop, without exploding, at the next wall in front of them. From other players' perspective, I stop turning, and of course do explode, and eventually get disconnected from the server with the "connection lost" message. Same as I described earlier in this thread. HEY GENE! While it occasionally happens in other servers, Shrunkland is still the worst, and I now have two bookmarks for it: one with an IP ending in .54, the other in .53. The .54 seems to be the "main" one. I get booted from that, then can immediately reenter with the .53. If another player(s) were there, they've remained. Sinewave reports that this is pretty common on Gene's other servers, as well.

Shall I try to make a recording? It may be somewhat lengthy.

It seems that CAMERA_OVERRIDE_CUSTOM_GLANCE_SERVER_CUSTOM is only recognized by 0.2.8.2.1, and not by rc4. Shrunkland is probably the only server taking advantage of it at the moment, if you want to check.

Not necessarily a bug, but certainly related to the release process: the default scoring influence detection (whatever you want to call them generally) settings are messed up. I recognize that they were changed in order to try to rectify old complaints of scores being awarded just to whomever's wall was hit, rather than who sent the victim into that wall. But the defaults are pretty whack. Several other players have made the observation. A few of the more ridiculous things that occur include: someone will get straight up, legitimately core-dumped by one player, but the point is awarded to someone else on the other side of the arena who may not even have a wall nearby. Or the same, but it goes to someone who's been long dead and had no influence on it whatsoever. There are times I might get in between two players who are battling it out, box/block one or even both of them, but they get each others' points and I ride away with "WD! No points!" It's also increased the ability for one to "spiral of death" oneself long enough that it gets counted as a plain death or suicide, not a kill, even if it's a small box that was initially created by another player.

Yadda yadda, I say it's even less accurate than the old way. Considering that most server admins aren't going to change those settings, much less even totally understand them to do so, it's important that the defaults work well and optimally. I admit I don't know what specific changes to recommend, though, as I don't much understand them myself or have the time or means at the moment to trial and error and fool with it.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

The attached picture is a timer hiccup error I have been getting quite a bit in the last 48 hours, intermittently for a while now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Phytotron wrote:It's also increased the ability for one to "spiral of death" oneself long enough that it gets counted as a plain death or suicide, not a kill, even if it's a small box that was initially created by another player.
i would like to illustrate that because it happened just 1 minute after i read this :P

sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I came here looking to find out why PLAYER_RANDOM_COLOR always gives me the same, not so random, color.
Z-Man wrote:
Phytotron wrote:Ah, well methinks it's not working properly for me, then. It can go multiple rounds, matches even, without changing.
That can happen if you already have an ucommon color, like pink. I usually end up pink or purple for quite some time :)
It's awesome for team games, but I think it's about time I stopped using it in regular games, haha! :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Heh. I never get mauve. I seem to keep getting saddled with either some shade of blue (which I hate) or that paler-than-seafoam-green like nemo/dlh/free kill uses all the time.
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

Mauve FTW, but seriously, this happens to me too.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

'Fast Finish' doesn't seem to work. It just plays out at normal speed.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Phytotron wrote:'Fast Finish' doesn't seem to work. It just plays out at normal speed.
Doesn't work for the dedicated either as far as I can tell.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Well, firstly, it only is supposed to do anything if the AI players that are the only ones left are on different teams, which only happens if they were added because of the SP_TEAMS_MIN setting; otherwise, the game ends immediately with an AI team victory. Secondly, the speedup is kinda slow and, as far as I can tell, has always been: 1% per second, or around 100% per minute. I can easily speed that up.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

I am referring to a situation where AI aren't all on the same team (be it in the case of independent AIs*, or teams). I swear I recall servers where the round would immediately jump to a high speed as soon as all humans were dead, but maybe that was a hacked server(s), and/or I'm just conflating it with GLTron, which is not out of the realm of possibility.

The specific instance—and why sinewav followed up as well—is a case where there are two teams balanced with AIs (his "TRON Experience" incam server). As soon as humans are dead, round ends and AIs aren't able to continue to rack up points. Obviously there's a finish type that allows them to carry on in normal speed, but that's no good. Sped up would be nice. I just thought I recalled it being there before, like I said.

* Speaking of which, I know how to get the AI's independent (i.e., each on his own "team" and able to score points off one another) in an online SP game, but it doesn't seem to be possible in a local game?
Last edited by Phytotron on Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Well, the following config gives a minimal 3v3 experience, and on current 0.2.8 (and, apart from the slowish time acceleration, previous 0.2.8), works like a charm:

Code: Select all

sp_teams_min 2
sp_team_max_players 15
sp_team_min_players 3
sp_finish_type 2
sp_min_players 0
(mirrored to the non-sp settings, too, of course.) Maybe it's an issue with the trunk (doubt it, nothing much has changed) or sinewav just concluded from the slow speedup that it didn't work properly and he reverted to the insta-round end.

In a single player game, it's the "Min. Teams" setting in the game settings menu you need to change.

And yeah, instant speedup most likely is a code hack.