0.3.1 Release Process and BUGS

Help test release candidates for the next release
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

I can download it and copy the application from the disk image onto my Desktop, but it crashes as soon as I try and open it, every time.
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

What is the output in Console.app?
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Oops. Looks like I accidently linked with /usr/local/lib/libfreetype.dylib. Which is strange, because /usr/local/lib isn't in the library search path of the project.

Fixed Mac OS X build available on aabeta.
Pink Tomatoes
Average Program

Post by Pink Tomatoes »

F! Infamous wrote:Tried to build windows version w/ code::blocks and the 0.3.1_alpha2 tarball today. Getting this error...

Code: Select all

Compiling: ..\..\src\engine\ePlayer.cpp
C:\Armagetronad\armagetronad\src\engine\ePlayer.cpp: In function `void se_ListAdmins(ePlayerNetID*, std::istream&, tString)':
C:\Armagetronad\armagetronad\src\engine\ePlayer.cpp:4934: error: conversion to non-const reference type `class tString&' from rvalue of type `const char*'
Process terminated with status 1 (0 minutes, 30 seconds)
1 errors, 0 warnings

I didn't have this error, but I did use the bzr version at tag alpha2. edit: Line 4934 is the line which goes: "lowerUser = tColoredString((tString&)"AAA" + lowerUser);". I've had that on linux, and problem was due to a ./configure option :).

Here are what I quickly compiled, few notes: Versioning is a mess (because I did something quick that worked), and suffers problems mentioned here: http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopic.php?p=201972

Normal (try me first :)):
http://dessert.ath.cx/download/armagetr ... .win32.exe

If you have not got an ___ name or ___ when you talk, please say so :).

It seems that the debug version does not suffer it so I'll put this one up if you want to try it as well:
http://dessert.ath.cx/download/armagetr ... .win32.exe
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Various other parts around the script already more or less rely on the new functionality: src/Makefile.am and tVersion.cpp, mostly. With the old script, strange stuff may happen.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Z-Man wrote:Various other parts around the script already more or less rely on the new functionality: src/Makefile.am and tVersion.cpp, mostly. With the old script, strange stuff may happen.
You're talking about the new version script? (You know, the one that doesn't work :) )

I asked epsy if he'd mind rewriting it in python, since update_version.bat will also need to be updated, and it made sense to me that rewriting it in python would give us something that can either be updated to work for window, or would Just Work(tm) and make update_version.bat obsolete.

On that note, I did something that'll probably be a tad controversial. I, myself, am a little bored with shell scripts that only ever really seem to work in Linux anyway with functionality that has to be duplicated to windows and/or mac os x. So I started rewriting scripts that needed to be updated anyway in python. sortresources was the first target, I replaced it with copyresources.py and it seems to work fine. I next targeted build_dist.bat, which mostly works now (batch/win32/builddist.py). It doesn't yet do any resource sorting yet.

While doing that, I made a batch/armabuild python module to collect all the common functions we need to build anything. I am sort of anticipating needing more in the future anyway, particularly if we do get all the shell scripts turned into python scripts. But I needed to collect resource handling stuff into one place for two or three scripts to handle.

So, what's next? To finish this so I can worry about the release again, I need to do some small work on the armabuild/resource module, to more generalize it (not much more, just a little more). Then I can make madedist.py use it and build resources. Then it's updated.

For the record, makedist.py needs to be updated anyway. Currently, any resources that contain a reference to an unversioned dtd are sedded to refer to a versioned dtd. This is fine in a source release because we do that when we build the source release, but I couldn't find anything anywhere in the windows build scripts that did this. Maybe I just failed to find it, but looking around it really looks like this was added to the autotools build system after 0.3.0, which would be after the last windows release. That modification is done in a make rule, one of the dist-hooks, so it isn't even done when you're running from a freshly built checkout.

Finally, it looks like codeblocks will support the automation, even. All's we have to do is make a series of steps that'll work. ;)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

There's no automation so far for some of the things in Windows because my approach so far was to build a source distribution from Linux with the automated bits already complete and just use that for the Windows build. Still, no objections to switching everything you can over to Python. Somehow, it's a more benign build requirement than bash :)
Pink Tomatoes
Average Program

Post by Pink Tomatoes »

I got a windows release to compile better: http://dessert.ath.cx/download/armagetr ... option.exe

Compiled without the -O2 option like the debug release, seems to work, ish. Not really sure what -O2 does, and I probably shouldn't mess with options like that.

Compiled a debug with -O2 and put some backtraces there too if they help: http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopi ... 066#202066. :)
Jsm 588
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Jsm 588 »

hehe..thought this was funny...

Used Pink tomatoes release on Wine..I use Ubuntu installed through wubi on a windows xp machine.

look at the screen shots =)

EDIT: stupid attachment...cant upload in this forum nvm...gosh darnet..oh well i'll just say it.

(It was on DD Racing)
THe whole map had white walls. The floor was completely black. The death zones were...outlined? i guess is the right word...dang it i just wish i could attach the screen shot...
Thanks
Jsm 588
--------- ---------
----------------------- = -----------------------
--------- ---------
Fav server: Delicious Deserts Racing II
The best thing about Ubuntu: When you force quit something..it actually force quits!!!
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

That's how things look when software rendering is detected.
Jsm 588
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Jsm 588 »

/me is dumb =)

It was interesting, how do I make it normal though?
Thanks
Jsm 588
--------- ---------
--------- ---------
The best thing about Ubuntu: When you force quit something..it actually force quits!!!
Pink Tomatoes
Average Program

Post by Pink Tomatoes »

Use Lucifer's .package files when your running Ubuntu. I would expect it is just due to using wine. If it still renders the same, let us know what graphics drivers and card you have :).
Jsm 588
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Jsm 588 »

Not Found

The requested URL /armagetronad-0.3.1_alpha1.i486-generic-linux-gnu.package was not found on this server.
Thanks
Jsm 588
--------- ---------
--------- ---------
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Try the newer link that is for alpha2. ;)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Jsm 588
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Jsm 588 »

also..this didn't happen when i ran 0.3.0 on wine...

and the 0.30 .deb doesn't work for me. Wont install. something about armagetronad-common
when i used alien to convert the normal linux package...it "installed" but The application/launcher was nowhere to be found.

and 0.3.1, when i switch from fullscreen to normal i get a windowless frozen box. To get past this i switch workspaces and switch back again and it is working, but without a 'window' (no X button, no - button.)
Thanks
Jsm 588
--------- ---------
--------- ---------