0.3.1 Release Process and BUGS

Help test release candidates for the next release
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

The problem with the Windows build (this one, anyway) is that you also have to add the resource source directory to the header include search path.

Site script is simple, saved as ~/.site:

Code: Select all

f test "$USER" != root; then
   test "$prefix" = NONE && prefix=/home/manuel/usr
fi
The easiest approach for autopackage builds probably is to create a new user, autopackagebuilder, and save this as his ~/.site script:

test "$prefix" = NONE && prefix=/home/autopackagebuilder/usr
CC=apgcc
CXX=apg++
You'll need to put the appropriate subdirectories of ~/usr into the appropriate paths for that user, of course.

If you don't want to go to the trouble of creating a new user, have a look into build_eclipse/sysprofile. That contains stuff to build custom usr paths and switching between them. Umm, documentation is the output of "makeprofile" without argument :/.

Or, just install your apgcc builds of the libraries into /usr/local as root and make sure that's a proper first class citizen and has priority over /usr. I think that's what I have done :) You just have to set CC and CXX appropriately there.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Heh, no tricks this time? :)

I created one in the build module that I'm considering working into a setup with a config file (so I can put it in the module itself for other people to use). I've been doing:

CONFIG_SITE=/blah/whatever make autopackage

The problem I'm having with ftgl is that the one built by apgcc isn't being picked up by ./configure, it's still finding the sys-installed ftgl. It appears the check in configure for ftgl leaves me no options in that regard, because it uses pkg-config to find it. And judging by the contortions configure goes through in finding it, it doesn't look like it'll be easy to change that. :/

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Ok, I give up. Heh. I'm trying to find the thread that was made awhile back where some guy came along and just *gave* us everything we need to build ubuntu packages. Anybody else happen to know where this thread is?

;)

- Iron Maiden
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Well, Pink Tomato found the thread for me, so I'll be working on debian/ubuntu packages in a bit.

I also merged camview in a branch on my hard drive to see what it looks like. It seems to run ok, are there any objections to me sticking it into 0.3.1? It is a feature that gets requested a fair amount, and it looks like voodoo has mostly tested it. I did have to fix a segfault that it caused when the game is closed, but other than that, it seems to work very well. (Yes, it'll go into the trunk. As soon as epsy's done cleaning up his mess I'll probably merge his newest version changes to 0.3.1 and then merge 0.3.1 back to the trunk)

- Iron Maiden
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Ok, this is a real alpha build for 0.3.1. Please test it! There's currently only this package available, I'm going to start the server package and edit this post when it's ready. Still no win/mac builds as of yet. Don't worry, we won't release without them, they're just not ready yet.

http://www.davefancella.com/armagetrona ... nu.package

- Iron Maiden
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Bump, I just edited the post above this to add the dedicated server build.

Can I get some testing and reporting problems for these builds? ;)

- Iron Maiden
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I've had one user report successful use of the autopackages. :) Can I get more reports?

Also, as noted in the camview thread, I fixed the two problems the camview had. One of them is interesting, it would be very nice to be able to recursively render cockpits into a camview. Then we can have special widgets that work in the camview (like "distance to wall", which we already have, but have it shown in the camview for the wall you see there). But that's a little too much for this release.

So, all we're waiting for now are alpha builds for windows and mac os x, and more reports for the autopackages.

- Iron Maiden
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

armagetronad-0.3.1_alpha1
Shouldn't alpha releases have a date tag?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

dlh wrote:
armagetronad-0.3.1_alpha1
Shouldn't alpha releases have a date tag?
Off the trunk, yes, but for this they get a unique id (which a date isn't) attached to a bzr tag.

- Iron Maiden
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Here are some more alpha builds. These should have the 404 problems people have been reporting taken care of.

Source tarballs:

http://www.davefancella.com/armagetrona ... rc.tar.bz2
http://www.davefancella.com/armagetrona ... src.tar.gz

Autopackages for Linux:

So, how I intend to release. :)

We'll do at least one more alpha that will be a dress rehearsal of this process.

Basically, what we're doing is putting up packages to make sure they have everything they're supposed to have and don't have any obvious bugs that would prevent them from being good test subjects. For the most part, it's reasonably stable (although not stable at all compared to 0.2.8). But there always seem to be a few things that are wrong right when we start trying to build packages, so the alphas are to work out those problems.

So, we need at least one alpha for windows and mac os x before we do the dress rehearsal. If we need more for each, we'll do them.

When it's time to release, I will initiate the release by putting together the source tarball and uploading it to sourceforge and aabeta. I'll also knock out the autopackages at that time. Whoever is going to build the release for Windows and Mac OS X needs to build from the tarball, *not* from bzr sources. Bzr sources will still be tagged so we can reconstruct the release if we need to, but will be merged back to the trunk and the branch abandoned as soon as the source release has been made.

The windows and mac os x packages should be built and uploaded asap to aabeta. If you don't have the necessary permissions in the project to put your build on sourceforge, just let me know it's there and I'll take care of it.

So, for you who are building windows and/or os x packages, you should get the 0.3.1 branch at the tag "0.3.1_alpha2" and build a quick package and post it here for testing. If you have problems with the package that haven't yet been discovered, go ahead and update to the latest in the branch to make your changes and be ready for the next alpha. You're free to release unmarked snapshots on your own schedule for testing, of course.

- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Good plan. Definitely also build your autopackages from the source tarball, not directly from bzr; that way, you spot any difficulties there early.

Also, for windows builds, my traditional approach always has been to use the windows source zip creation in our build module to turn the tarball into a zip with a couple of conversions (line feeds, mostly, and also putting correct versions in the nsi scripts). I don't know how well that works now.
Pink Tomatoes
Average Program

Post by Pink Tomatoes »

Tested alpha2 client linux briefly. Cockpit works, Fort mode works, Incam camview works.

The audio is very bubbly, and compressed sounding. It sounds like a broken speaker would. Note I could be wrong here, and actually have a broken speaker :).

Only of note:following files require download on startup (but they work OK!):
http://wrtlprnft.ath.cx/gauge_horizontal.png
http://wrtlprnft.ath.cx/floor.png
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Heh, couple of comments. Somewhere dlh says the version script doesn't work in 0.3.1. It doesn't, I reverted it and committed it. I'll do it again. Apparently it got restored to the unworking version, a misunderstanding when I accidentally squashed other fixes so it looked like my reversion of version was also accidental.

Epsy needs to fix that script in the trunk, and if it doesn't work for 0.3.1, I'm not really all that worried about it. We can still use the older script for 0.3.1.

- Iron Maiden
Infa(mous)
Round Winner

Post by Infa(mous) »

Tried to build windows version w/ code::blocks and the 0.3.1_alpha2 tarball today. Getting this error...

Compiling: ..\..\src\engine\ePlayer.cpp
C:\Armagetronad\armagetronad\src\engine\ePlayer.cpp: In function `void se_ListAdmins(ePlayerNetID*, std::istream&, tString)':
C:\Armagetronad\armagetronad\src\engine\ePlayer.cpp:4934: error: conversion to non-const reference type `class tString&' from rvalue of type `const char*'
Process terminated with status 1 (0 minutes, 30 seconds)
1 errors, 0 warnings

dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »