What do you want to see here? Some more categories, forums, and mods? Hmm...

"Built-In" Avatars

Yes! I want to chose from a database of Avatars!
23%
It doesn't matter, I'd upload my own anyway!
72%
I don't care, I don't use avatars!
5%

Total votes: 60

Speedracer
Match Winner

Post by Speedracer »

Tank Program wrote:Speedracer, what distro? All the ones I have tried have come with gimp, which does a lot of cool things. (I made the Armagetron Forums logo with it)
Hehe, that's the one tank. Like I have said before, I am not very computer literate. It took me a while to see what programs actually work for this but I finally found GIMP and it is a great program. 8)

BTW- I wouldn't mind having a selection of avatars to choose from. I think it would help out a lot of noobs. :wink:

BTW BTW- I noticed that when you change the avatar, it resets all the posts that were made to update the avatars. I personally don't like that feature. It is cool to see what someone had before they changed it. :roll:
We are here today to talk about tomorrow. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow will soon be today.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Any ideas how to fix that then? I haven't seen anything for it.
Speedracer
Match Winner

Post by Speedracer »

???

:? You are administrate... You do it :wink:

You seem a little tense Tank. Isn't tron getting your frustration out? 8)
We are here today to talk about tomorrow. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow will soon be today.
Marrow
MVP - Project Contributor

Post by Marrow »

Tank is ready to snap!
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Sorry, but I am generally rushed when I am replying here. Not only do I administrate this place, but I also am working on several school projects, and several programming projects too.
blane
Project Advisor

Post by blane »

Hmm. The only avatar I would use is ~75 kb :/
nicolas.b
Grid Clown
Location: west philly Quotation: "Everybody's stuck being a moderator, but me. Sweet!"

Post by nicolas.b »

tank:
> Any ideas how to fix that then? I haven't seen anything for it.

speed:
> You are administrate... You do it

speed, i realise you're no longer here, but that's not a very helpful suggestion. and the plain truth is, i've never seen a forums run on any platform that saved off different versions of people's avatars.

i agree that it would be kind of cool, but winds up raising a bunch of new issues (like total avatar storage space and max # of avatars) that i don't really see being worth the trouble. but if you are still around, speed, i recommend surfing some phpbb forums and finding one that has the feature you are looking for. then the hack can be identified and installed, n'est pas?
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

blane, i opened it up in imageready and saved it 'optimized' and now its only 6 kb :D
Attachments
mais non! c'est une miracle!
mais non! c'est une miracle!
optimized.gif (5.64 KiB) Viewed 10733 times
blane
Project Advisor

Post by blane »

Oh, nice -- thanx. Although I realized I can use larger avatars if they are on a external site. However, smaller is always better, have thanx :-)
/* I have the heart of a small child. It sits on my desk in a jar. */
Speedracer
Match Winner

Post by Speedracer »

nicolas.b wrote:speed, i realise you're no longer here, but that's not a very helpful suggestion. and the plain truth is, i've never seen a forums run on any platform that saved off different versions of people's avatars.

i recommend surfing some phpbb forums and finding one that has the feature you are looking for. then the hack can be identified and installed, n'est pas?
I cannot be helpful in the realm of computer system setups...or whatever. It is merely my job to point out and suggest random things in order to make this forum a little more interesting. Weather they are used is totally up to the admin. Sorry that I cannot be any more help than a pot of stew but that is what you get when you spend 5 years smoking pot. 8)
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

Lackadaisical wrote:blane, i opened it up in imageready and saved it 'optimized' and now its only 6 kb :D
what program do you use i tried to optomise my avatar with animagic but it just corrupted :(
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
Sabarai
The Former Man of Cheese

Post by Sabarai »

no way, pre made avatars suck... i never use them...
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

One of the oldest threads reawakened... And that's what I thought...
DrJoeTr0n
"On a Roll. Paper wise."

Post by DrJoeTr0n »

Some pre made ones are enjoyable, but I think it they are better when you make them your self, I don't like it to much when people make other avatars for others. I think the avatar is pretty much a canvas for self expression. The best avatars I've seen are on these boards I'd have to say. Keep up the good work guys. 8)
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

DrJoeTr0n wrote:Some pre made ones are enjoyable, but I think it they are better when you make them your self, I don't like it to much when people make other avatars for others. I think the avatar is pretty much a canvas for self expression. The best avatars I've seen are on these boards I'd have to say. Keep up the good work guys. 8)
Heh, I think avatars are dumb. Of course, I have one anyway.... They encourage people to be "artists", and as we all know "artists" are generally pretentious and annoying. ;) I don't have avatars on my own forums, but then, nobody posts there. I wonder if there's a cause and effect relationship? Heh.