Forums updated

What do you want to see here? Some more categories, forums, and mods? Hmm...
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Forums updated

Post by Tank Program »

I've broken down and done the next big update to the forums. Our custom theme is broken so we're on stock prosilver, but otherwise nothing should be affected. If there are any issues, poke me on IRC.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: Forums updated

Post by sinewav »

Thanks Tank!
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

I really miss our custom theme. If fixing it is just a matter of someone giving it some time & attention, I'll be happy to see what I can do to help.
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

Titanoboa wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:01 pm I really miss our custom theme. If fixing it is just a matter of someone giving it some time & attention, I'll be happy to see what I can do to help.
It would require someone with access to the web server's files to put some time / attention into it. Really, it's not a huge process since it's using a public forum software. phpBB has different themes you can use. It's, for the most part, find a theme you like and make minor changes to the background, logo, and colors. Themes often provide the layouts and everything for you. If the old files are not lost, you can reuse the images as well.

There's obviously the option of going all out and making a fully custom theme, but that's overkill IMO when plenty of public themes exist.

There is a catch. If they were to allow someone full access to the forum files, they could potentially get database access. This would allow the release of passwords, emails, etc. which isn't fun to have stolen. I'm not accusing you of wanting to do anything like that of course, but it's a reason that would keep many from sharing. This information could also potentially be available in the administration control panel.

A route you could take is setting up a phpBB 3 forum, creating the custom theme, then submitting it here for use. That would allow your input to be examined, and prevent direct access, while still providing you the freedom to make anything you want. This would still require Tank to be around to pay attention to you though, and I'm unsure how likely that is to happen. We could be surprised though. Maybe on April Fools? xD
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

I believe everything we have for themes is on launchpad. If someone updates it for phpBB3 and lets me know, I'm happy to apply it. I can always be pinged on IRC.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I made a alternate forums banner using Retrocycles assets, a white & transparent PNG, in case someone thinks we should have a different banner. Armagetron Advanced branding because this is Armagetron not Steam.

Edit: uploaded a preview.
Attachments
aa-forum-banner-preview.png
aa-forum-banner-preview.png (18.65 KiB) Viewed 7561 times
aa-forum-banner.png
aa-forum-banner.png (9.61 KiB) Viewed 7562 times
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Note to all users, if you've been having problems with @forums Armathentication since the upgrade, I just tracked down a bug in the string processing I wrote to sync the Armathentication passwords. No data ended up in places it shouldn't, just the string manipulations were slightly out. Please try logging out of the forums, then logging back in, to re-sync your password.