Wiki yet?

What do you want to see here? Some more categories, forums, and mods? Hmm...
Lucifer
Project Developer

Wiki yet?

Post by Lucifer »

Do we have a wiki yet? There's been a lot of information to come up recently and I'd really like to start putting it into a wiki where we can get at it. Doesn't matter much to me if it ultimately gets moved *from* the wiki to a better place, but it beats the hell out of going through forum posts looking for stuff.

So, if there isn't one, Tank, would you be willing to give me a hostname in the armagetronad.net domain and I can set one up on my machine? Something like "wiki.armagetronad.net" or something. My IP address doesn't change often.

(it'll probably be mediawiki that I set up)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Hmm, no we don't have a wiki yet. What do others have to say about this? I'm not opposed to splitting up the hosting some more, right now as it is a different thing is on each server... Forums one server, main site another, beta yet another... Sort of a wacky kind of redundancy eh?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

I think it would be a good idea. There is a lot of implicit documentation floating around in the form of forum entries, it would be good to put that into a more stable form where it does not get washed away with discussions about Lucifer's diet.
TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Post by TiTnAsS »

I like the idea of a wiki, going to other posts to find stuff is getting annoying :)...

Just to note, i really like the way you have it setup.. armagetronad.net beta.armagetronad.net etc, i would have no objection with anything else going before .armagetronad.net...
Damn, it sure has been a while!
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

titnasseatscrap.armagetronad.net

8)

(I setup the MediaWIki program on my server, it's at wiki.davefancella.com. Tank, if you want to make a host for it, let me know so I can update my VHosts file so my webserver will actually respond correctly)

- Iron Maiden
TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Post by TiTnAsS »

yes tank: we want TNAeatsCRAP.armagetronad.net! gogogo

A TNA tribute page ;)
Damn, it sure has been a while!
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

TiTnAsS wrote:yes tank: we want TNAeatsCRAP.armagetronad.net! gogogo

A TNA tribute page ;)
yes then I wont have to put up with this error message :lol:
Attachments
titnasseatscrap.jpg
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

How many times per day do you get this error? :o
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Lucifer wrote:I setup the MediaWIki program on my server, it's at wiki.davefancella.com. Tank, if you want to make a host for it, let me know so I can update my VHosts file so my webserver will actually respond correctly
(note the lack of () around that quote, to me that was the real statement :o.)

Anyway, ok, sounds like it's a plan :). Set up for wiki.armagetronad.net. Once you've got it set up, I'll cname it to wiki.davefancella.com, and then we'll have a wiki.

Should I contact Lackadaisical about a theme or should we wait a while with that first or do you want to try and make one that matches yourself?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Done. You can point wiki.armagetronad.net at me now.

Um, not sure about a theme. I guess if someone wants to make a theme for the wiki I'll be happy to put it on the server, how about that? ;) I poked around MediaWiki's docs looking for how to make a theme and it's *just* making a stylesheet for it.

- Iron Maiden
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I thought I'd kickstart the wiki a bit and collected some information off the forums already.

http://wiki.davefancella.com/index.php/MapMaking
Should at least give an idea of how stuff can be formatted, but you'll see the xml in the tutorial needs some special formatting so it'll render properly. I don't know what that special formatting is, just that it's in there somewhere. ;)

- Iron Maiden
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

Very neat, a wiki!

: goes around for a spin :

Hummm, it links to our web page... *WE* have a web page!!!

: goes around for a spin of that :

- Download section doesnt very clearly indicate the version,
- Server list is neat, but no amount of enlarging the window is sufficient to get all the generated picture because the bulk of the web-page keeps on centering itself (Mozilla Firefox 1.0.2 on Mandriva, screen at 1280x1024)
- links doesn't have the wiki yet, better mention that on the forum.

o yes, the wiki, that was what I was checking

: goes back to the wiki :
: very nacissically, looks up the map tutorial :

O my god, this stuff is terribly out of date!!! We (I) changed the whole format!!!

Darn, that mean I'll be busy with that on saturday.

Lucifer, how easy is it to re-import the tutorial file? Or, what should be included with the game when we pack it for the release, a text file or a wiki extract/dump?

-----
How do you start a new page/topic in wiki? I wanted to do one named mapFormat-0.1, copy the content of the tutorial there, and start updating mapFormat for the latest changes.

-ph
Canis meus id comedit.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

http://wiki.davefancella.com/index.php/Blah, then selecting edit seems to work.

Note: that's just one way.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Um, philippe, I reformatted the map tutorial, having taken it from the top post in the map tutorial section under here. Reimporting the text file and reformatting it takes about half an hour.

It would be better if you just looked it over and updated what's there. :) Pull from the latest version if you want, or from memory or whatever.

Oh yeah, to start a new page, just find the page you want to link to the new page, click "edit", add the appropriate text, and go. On the help page is a link to the MediaWiki docs where you can learn more about making links. Basically, [[Some Page]] will create a new page titled "Some Page". [http://somesite.com Link] will create a link to the given url and show the caption "Link". For more than that, check the docs.

- Iron Maiden
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

philippeqc wrote:Hummm, it links to our web page... *WE* have a web page!!!
Where have you been? We've had the site for a few months now...

I've made the domain now, http://wiki.armagetronad.net should be up very shortly, if it isn't already. Yes it is. I'll see about updating the site with this link.

Slightly off topic: the Armagetron Advanced website is now IPv6 accessible, but not via the armagetronad.net domain name. Instead IPv6 access is available on http://armagetronad.6dns.org for those who have IPv6.