Too long; didn't read

What do you want to see here? Some more categories, forums, and mods? Hmm...
Durf
Match Winner

Too long; didn't read

Post by Durf »

A solution to appease all the users who can't deal with more text than they are used to seeing at one time:
(A moderator can do this if they have the permission, otherwise Tank Program would be the person to add this in)

New BBcode:

Code: Select all

[tldr]{TEXT}[/tldr]
HTML:

<span><button type="button" onclick="var tldr = this.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[0]; if (tldr.style.display == 'none') { tldr.style.display = 'block'; this.innerHTML = 'Hide'; } else { tldr.style.display = 'none'; this.innerHTML = 'Show'; }">Show</button>
<div style="display: none;">{TEXT}</div></span>
<edit: updated code ^ >

Helpline:

This is short and to the point![tldr]And this is a part that is too long for some users to read so it's hidden until the reader chooses to show it.[/tldr]
(maybe that's too long for a helpline - but it's an example that explains itself)

But basically this will allow me to make a post a lot shorter for the user's that don't have to concern themselves with the details.
(this isn't for the intention of allowing a person who SHOULD look at the details / evidence / explanations to excuse themselves from it)
(this is intended to answer the cries made by a lot of users - most of whom aren't obligated to deal with all the details anyway)
It makes a button inline, and when you show the hidden text, a new paragraph is formed underneath that line.
A simple modification can make it so that it all stays inline (if you prefer that instead).

Just had the idea, so I'd thought I'd post it and see what you guys think. (I heard you; thought of solutions)
#problemSolved (one of many anyway)
Last edited by Durf on Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Re: Too long; didn't read

Post by Lucifer »

The most obvious solution is simply to make your point in fewer words.

I mean, do we really need to use technology to accomodate a user who can't or won't figure out how to be clear and concise and use a healthy dose of brevity?

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

Lucifer, I'm starting to wonder if I should take you seriously or just as a troll (Are you trying to make an ass of yourself? Or does it just come naturally?).

In your first sentence, you try to set a standard for post content as a means of arguing against a simple addition to the forums that has more than one benefit and for more than just myself (or my readers that is).

In your second sentence, you contradict that very same standard by being redundant; you fail to meet your own standard. (being concise is being clear with your words; using brevity is to be concise. #fail)

If you're talking about yourself when you say things like "accomodate a user" (note the singular form; also it's "accommodate"), then it makes perfect sense. We need to accommodate for your shortcomings.

If you're talking about me, then you've misunderstood the purpose of the bbcode.
The purpose is to hide detailed (additional) information (this isn't to "accommodate" someone who is incapable of being concise); giving a choice to every reader if they wish to indulge in that extra information.

Here's an example:

You show everyone why you're an idiot or otherwise incompetent in general. [button]
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
| because obviously you have a problem with it (I posted it), regardless if it's even a good idea or not               |
| you try to enforce standards you can't even meet yourself                                                            |
| you perpetuate an environment of ignorance; mistaking details in a post as unneeded / redundant words like yours are |
| you are a moderator that admits to being a troll                                                                     | 
````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
^ everything inside this box would be hidden unless the reader specifically chose to see it ^ (a box doesn't actually appear; this is just to show the area of content affected)

Please, smarten up and get it together. (<-- additional post content that would either appear on the right side of the button, or underneath the last line of the tldr content)
As you can see, it could shorten a post length quite a bit, while still keeping the "important parts" visible for those who would end up saying "tl;dr" anyway (they get what they want, and those who are smart enough to wonder the reasons why, can check to see for themselves).
Other uses for the bbcode could be general post length management (like when posting long amounts of code / settings or details of a certain gameplay or perhaps you're sharing a lot of pics that would otherwise make your post very tall).
I figured people would be smart enough to notice how short and to-the-point my first post was; but I guess haters are going to hate.

The bbcode is not that difficult to add in, and it provides a new way to manage post content to appeal to the different kinds of reader in the community.
I think if you could get over your hate that you harbor within, you might be able to see how this is a good idea (given what it provides over the cost of implementing it).
But in the end, I wasn't surprised that you had to be against it somehow.
Perhaps if someone else had posted this, you might have been able to actually think about it.

To be honest, the amount of irony and self-contradicting you do in your post was pretty funny (it's only funny enough if you did it unintentionally and admit to being that big of an idiot - otherwise you're just trolling intentionally). All in all, I doubt anyone took that seriously.

P.S - I updated the code in my first post (wasn't going to work if there was more than one on a page; now it will work as it should)
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Dear people who agree with Lucifer here,

I suggest we all just post a +1 to express our solidarity. If Durf still disagrees, he shouldn't be dignified with more attention until he's concise.
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

I figured people would be smart enough to notice how short and to-the-point my first post was; but I guess haters are going to hate.
Word

Post by Word »

Well, if your request wasn't dumb as hell you'd also get applause, confetti and all that...
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

You think the idea is dumb? Why?
How is adding more functionality that can benefit every user dumb? Especially at such a low cost (<5min)?

I fail to see the reasoning in your thinking. (are you just hating?)
Core Dumper

Post by *16 »

@Word: +1

What about applying this to each topic? xD
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

*16, please >_>
Trolling is not appreciated; if you're taking his post seriously, then you need to realize the difference between extra, but useless, words and extra, but informative, words. Lucifer's post is a perfect example to demonstrate the value of word choice.

So, am I to assume that you are against giving user's the ability to hide extra content as a means of appealing to the readers that would say "tl;dr" without such a feature? If so, why? I'd really like to know.
Word

Post by Word »

Durf wrote:*16, please >_>
Trolling is not appreciated; if you're taking his post seriously, then you need to realize the difference between extra, but useless, words and extra, but informative, words. Lucifer's post is a perfect example to demonstrate the value of word choice.
He's agreeing with Lucifer's post.
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

@Durf: +500,000
nice suggestion, would probably be like the "Spoiler" on vertrex.org?
Overrated
Match Winner

Post by Overrated »

Durf's idea isn't bad. It's the reason and explanation he puts on it that is making it come across so negatively. Something similar to a "spoiler" would be a nice add-on if possible.
BRAWL dead. RIP.

Fort is like a box of knives, you never know when you're going to be cut.
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

Actually, maybe if you give us an abstract before the lengthy post we can pick and choose what we read :)
blondie
Core Dumper

Post by blondie »

ks forums had this (as well as a lot of reality TV forums). It allowed you to title your spoiler however you wanted so people knew what they were clicking on
Amaso
Core Dumper

Post by Amaso »

Durf wrote:A solution to appease all the users who can't deal with more text than they are used to seeing at one time:
(A moderator can do this if they have the permission, otherwise Tank Program would be the person to add this in)

New BBcode:

[tldr]{TEXT}[/tldr]
HTML:

<span><button type="button" onclick="var tldr = this.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[0]; if (tldr.style.display == 'none') { tldr.style.display = 'block'; this.innerHTML = 'Hide'; } else { tldr.style.display = 'none'; this.innerHTML = 'Show'; }">Show</button>
<div style="display: none;">{TEXT}</div></span>
<edit: updated code ^ >

Helpline:

This is short and to the point![tldr]And this is a part that is too long for some users to read so it's hidden until the reader chooses to show it.[/tldr]
(maybe that's too long for a helpline - but it's an example that explains itself)

But basically this will allow me to make a post a lot shorter for the user's that don't have to concern themselves with the details.
(this isn't for the intention of allowing a person who SHOULD look at the details / evidence / explanations to excuse themselves from it)
(this is intended to answer the cries made by a lot of users - most of whom aren't obligated to deal with all the details anyway)
It makes a button inline, and when you show the hidden text, a new paragraph is formed underneath that line.
A simple modification can make it so that it all stays inline (if you prefer that instead).

Just had the idea, so I'd thought I'd post it and see what you guys think. (I heard you; thought of solutions)
#problemSolved (one of many anyway)
Well put.
+1